UK plans solo science mission

Dave

Quoted from BBC News:

"Britain is planning its first solo space science mission in 20 years, BBC News Online has learned.

Scientists hope to send a satellite into deep space to study solar influences on climate change. The Earthshine mission would showcase British expertise and provide vital data on climate change. Principal investigator Mike Lockwood believes going it alone will deliver answers more quickly than joining forces with other nations."

I think this is quite an interesting article in respect to the fact that the UK has more or less always not believed in a committed space programme, and has merely only contributed to the ESA. I hope there are more projects like this to come, as Britain and the world in general can only benefit mankind from this sort of scientific activity.

Read more.

• 2 months later...

How will that satellite tell much anything about our climates---- especially if you think about the chaos theory (the degree of exactness does not nessisarily make a prediction any more accurate (thats part of the chaos theory right?))

Sorry---- do I offend anyone besides myself? I personally would be offended by my own attitude. I need to be more openminded, thank you everyone for not holding it against me------ or maybe you don't even know what I'm talking about, but thank you anyway.

Why do you need to be open-minded to take in something as straightforward as this?

It's not like the article reports on a zany Limey mission to collect moonbeams in a giant marmalade jar.

And wtf has chaos theory got to do with ESA research missions?

Well openminded to their purpose I guess, because as I see it they wont find anything. He said that they are using it to study solar influences on climate. Maybe its has nothing to do with the chaos theory, but I know I remember reading it on a site about the chaos theory, and it didn't distinct this as being something different: the more and more precise of a measuremeant made, does not make a prediction any more accurate-- its just as likely to still diverge greatly from calculations. So therefore if psychotically exact measurments are basically useless---- how is something set deep into space going to have anything except psuedoscience connections to its affect on our weather? I'll see if I can find again the site that tied this in with the chaos theory.

I'm not sure if this is THE site, but it somewhat explains what I mean as part of the chaos theory.

"Small variations in initial conditions result in huge, dynamic transformations in concluding events. That is to say that there was no nail, and, therefore, the kingdom was lost. The graphs of what seem to be identical, dynamic systems appear to diverge as time goes on until all resemblance disappears."

http://www.duke.edu/~mjd/chaos/chaos.html

My favorite part of the theory though is that seemingly random phenomenon could actually be part of a complex order, could seemingly ordered phenomenon actually be random? Guess THIS part of the theory doesn't have anything to do with the original post here, but I think its extremely interesting.