How Can I Learn Chemisty To Get Ready For College?

Lilone329

post-92856-0-40958500-1369368229.jpeg

Hello Im new to "Chemisty" only thing that is diffent for me is that i never learner in "High School"!

So i will need your help to help me learn so i get learn the basic and not feel lost when i go to a class!!

• Send me Link's for Youtube Vid bout Chemisty
  • Blog's Good Website's
  • Etcc....

• 5 weeks later...

here's what you'll enjoy and learn basics from :

Fundamentals of Chemistry

A book by Romain Elsair

if you're really a rookie beginner, there are a few titles to master before getting involved in real thing:

1. compounds naming rules. [you should be able to memorize many Non-Organic compounds names (like 100 at least) and many organic compounds (often used ones) ]

you should master it so that you can draw molecule structures by hearing names, without thinking about them.

2. you should have a general idea about material states (gas, liquid, solid), their difference and their effects on reactions.

3. those ordinary general rules of gases, and similar rules you supposed to learn in high-school.

4. Important : reactions and their equations. you should know how to get information from equations.

and how to calculate things required, using equations.

5. you should know almost everything about Acids/Bases, their different definitions and reactions of them and so on.

6.The basic route is to learn Non-organic chem first and then go for Organic chem.(there's enough things to learn in Org-Chem to cover your lifetime !)

And remember, Studying Chemistry without practical experiments means "Studying Chemistry". you better try to "Learn Chemistry".

and avoid being those students who don't know what's the difference between Lab Tubes and Erlenmeyer flask ! :)

• 1 month later...

I know about one very good book related to high school and college level chemistry which is "Chemistry: the central Science".It contains good information about electronic structure and bonding, Organization of matter, states of matter, nomenclature, Stoichiometry and Thermochemistry etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Chemistry-Central-Theodore-E-Brown/dp/0321696727/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375376882&sr=1-1

I also want to let you know about one very nice and solution oriented website related to all fields of chemistry and can provide you help related to the problems in chemistry.

http://www.chemistryhomeworkhelp.biz/

I hope it will help you.

Hello Im new to "Chemisty" only thing that is diffent for me is that i never learner in "High School"!

So i will need your help to help me learn so i get learn the basic and not feel lost when i go to a class!!

• Send me Link's for Youtube Vid bout Chemisty
  • Blog's Good Website's
  • Etcc....

I would, but I have no idea where you currently stand in terms of what you already know.

If you've taken physics in high school, then you'll at least have an idea on some relevant basics. I have no idea what experience you have in math or physical science. Regardless, ask yourselves these questions to see where you are. happy.png

1) Do I know what an atom is? If "no", you'll want to start with basic atomic theory. If "yes", continue to the next question.

2) Could I name the 3 types of particles that make up an atom? If "no", you should still go with atomic theory. If "yes", keep going.

3) Could I draw an accurate diagram of an atom? If "no", same as before.

4) If someone asked me, could I tell them what a chemical bond is? If "no", then look into bonding and compounds.

5) Could I name the three basic states of matter? If not, look into the different states of matter and how they're related to each other and temperature.

Regardless of how you did with the above questions, you should really try the reference EdEarl suggested, khanacademy. It's a great site for self-study and learning the principles of chemistry, as well as any related math involved. If you have any comments or questions, please post them. smile.png Anyway, good luck.