Electromagnetic Circuits

ProfessorDoxus

Dear SFN,

I need to write a short paper on the workings and usages of electromagnetic circuits in order to pass 8th Grade science, any sites outlining these concepts in light/medium detail would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

ProfessorDoxus

(TEST SIGNATURE)

~"Communism is like, SO last decade, bro." - George Orwell

I may just write my paper on electromagnets in relation to circuits (i.e. usage in Parallel/Series and how they differ.)

Edited by ProfessorDoxus

I found a paper, see below, that requires an understanding of calculus. It would take me a day or two to read and understand it.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/0805.1079.pdf

A transformer is about as simple an electromagnetic circuit as possible. I'm not going to do your homework, but whatever you write I will review. And, I will answer questions.

How much math do you know?

How much do you know about electromagnetism, any equations? What is magnetic flux?

I am online quite a lot, so you should be able to ask many questions each day.

Edited by EdEarl

Thank you for all your help, I managed to get something.

@Ed, I found that in my initial search, and I'm not yet capable of understanding this level of science. I'm in Algebra one, not even at Quadratic equations, we stopped at the beginning of Geometry. Sorry if your effort was all for none, the paper was rather short, as science assignments by me usually are, but you can judge as you will.:

[Name Edited out]

5/19/13

Science

Electromagnetism in relation to Circuits/Applications for Electromagnetism in circuits

Electromagnetism is two different things.

I: The force that is between magnetically charged particles

II: A field of magnetism created by moving electrical charges.

Electromagnets are used in circuits as such: There is a power source, a copper wire, and a metal. The wire is wrapped around the metal, and connected to the power source. The charge magnetizes the metal creating a magnetic field around the metal. The special thing about Electromagnets are that by interrupting the circuit, you can, in layman's terms, shut off the magnetism. Things with switches (Lights, the obvious example) would be exemplary.

A shorter explanation of a practical usage of an Electromagnet would one of that in a junkyard. Since natural magnets cannot bear the weight of the piles of junk metal in a Junkyard, E-magnets are Ideal because the Electricity applied determines how strong the Electromagnets are. The user of the magnet can control the magnet (on or off) and move it around. It is practical because it helps sort out the metal from the rest of the garbage, which helps reduce metal waste.

[The End]

Edited by ProfessorDoxus

If you have time before you must turn in your paper, try the following experiment and consider adding a description of your experiment to the paper.

You will need:

A magnet of any size.

Some iron filings.

A sheet of cardboard or stiff plastic.

Place the magnet beneath the sheet.

Sprinkle the iron filings on top of the sheet, and gently tap or shake the sheet to distribute the iron filings.

Note the pattern. Take a picture and include it with your paper.

You can make a substitute for iron filings by using some steel wool (the grey stuff that is really fine, as thin or thinner than hair). Use scissors to cut the steel (iron) wool into very small pieces. Use these tiny, tiny pieces instead of iron filings.

You might find a video of this experiment on youtube.

The pattern of filings you see on the sheet is formed by magnetic flux lines.

These lines are created and tuned off by electricity in an electromagnet.

You can make a transformer, if you can get a big nail and some very thin wire, 25 feet would be enough. Home Depot will have what you need. To demonstrate it works you will also need a D or C cell (battery) and some really cheap head phones that you can ruin (cut off the plug to expose the wires).