rhymes with "False"

The concept of a rhyme is directly related to the concept of a sound and hearing, hence the pronunciation and accent used is much more important than the way something is written, regardless of how meaningful certain letters may be, IMO.

Who knew such a trivial debate could attract so much commentary?

Furpull - the pulling of fur, written as an adjective.

That isn't even in UrbanDictionary. If the word sounds made-up, you should provide a source.

The concept of a rhyme is directly related to the concept of a sound and hearing, hence the pronunciation and accent used is much more important than the way something is written, regardless of how meaningful certain letters may be, IMO.

If pronunciation is flexible, then "pulse" can rhyme with "false".

The standard IPA is /pʌls/, but a given dialect might pronounce it as /pɒls/, which is a perfect rhyme with "false".

If pronunciation is flexible, then "pulse" can rhyme with "false".

Yes, of course it can. I agree. IMO, it matters not what the dictionary or one region states is "proper." I posit that what's relevant when discussing rhymes is the pronunciation used by the speaker and their accent and emphasis and intonation.

Yes, of course it can. I agree. IMO, it matters not what the dictionary or one region states is "proper." I posit that what's relevant when discussing rhymes is the pronunciation used by the speaker and their accent and emphasis and intonation.

I agree to a point, but when a rapper murders a word to make it rhyme, that hurts

the gold digger was false

now she suck my balse

you get the idea.

Edited by john5746

Exactly. First things to come to mind are rappers and singers.

This brings up a question, though. One might change the place of stress on a word to make it rhyme better, but how might this play in other languages where stress is important to the meaning of the word? For example, in Spanish, stress can bear the difference between saying "father" and "potato".

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this was posted but what comes to mind are:

Crawls, bawls, shawls, etc...

Yes no? biggrin.png

They are not perfect rhymes, but they are rhymes to a degree (and rhymes nonetheless).

More precisely, these follow a pattern of imitating the vowel, just with different consonantal sounds. I forgot the literary term for "words with the same vowel sounds". doh.gif

Syringes sounds like oranges? :P

No it doesn't lol

They are not perfect rhymes, but they are rhymes to a degree (and rhymes nonetheless).

More precisely, these follow a pattern of imitating the vowel, just with different consonantal sounds. I forgot the literary term for "words with the same vowel sounds". :doh:

Hard to find that perfect match. False is a tough word! Edited by Deidre

• 1 month later...