Change in volume with respect to depth

Iota

I can work out these equations when the pressure and volumes are given, but I've forgotten how to do it with those that only state depth:

A scuba diver inhales air at a depth of 10m and ascends to 1m, holding their breath. If their normal lung volume is 0.500dm3, to what will this expand during the ascent?

I've been looking at it a while and can't work it out. The pressure decreases and volume increases as they ascend, but I don't know how to work out the factor by which the volume increases.

Normal lung volume is a function where a variable representing pressure is at a value that coincides with zero depth. Pressure is a function dependent on depth. Try writing the equation for pressure as a function of depth and then try substituting that equation as the variable for pressure in the function for lung volume.

• 3 weeks later...

Pv = nRT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas)

P1V1 = P2V2

P1 = pressure at 9m

V1 = 0.5dm cubed

P2= pressure at 1m

V2 = your answer

what is P1 and P2?

P = Po + density*g*height ( hydrostatic pressure equation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_statics)

where Po is the atmospheric pressure

P1 = Po + 1000kg/mcubed * 9.81 m/s^2 * 1m = 101,000 + 9810 = 110,000 Pa

P2 = Po + 1000kg/mcubed * 9.81 m/s^2 * 9m = 101,000 +88,290 = 189,000 Pa

ill let you do the rest

Edited by alibaba441