Questions I really need answering

DTonesXD

What would happen if...

1. There was no gravity for 10 seconds?

2. you put a spider in a container and pump it up with huge amounts of oxygen?

3. you put spider dna in a human. Theoretically you make spiderman?

Now a few other questions

1. Why do we get goosebumps on a really good part of a song?

2. Why do males get the "morning erection" sometimes?

3. How do ice comets work? If they are travelling so fast, surely they should be on fire and lose ice?

Please answers sensibly. If it isn't too hard please go into detail and justify certain conclusions.
Don't ask why i ask these. These are just some of many questions that i do or will wonder..
Thanks

2. Why do males get the "morning erection" sometimes?

Males get erections several times a night during sleep. They coincide with REM sleep, iirc. A morning erection just means you recently finished a REM cycle, dreaming most likely. Of sex, most likely.

It's also the body's way of testing the equipment in a non-sexual way, letting a bit of flow through the pumps, as it were.

Hello there DTonesXD. I am not an expert but I will research and give what I believe to be the best for this discussion.

1. Ice Comets. The problem is that Fire needs oxygen. In Space there is no Oxygen. Now when a comet gets close enough to a source of heat such as the sun we see the tail of it from earth. If it breaches earths atmosphere, it is introduced to oxygen and usually catches fire and blows up into a billion pieces. Fire need Oxygen. This is a common problem with space craft. When shuttles head out of earth they need to bring their own source of oxygen to fire the engines. So they bring fuel and oxygen (Unless it is a new class of ion engines). Cool huh?

2. Morning wood is actually night time wood. Men will get erections through out the night. It has something to do with the neurological system which causes blood to flow through the penis. It is actually a way to keep the penis healthy by keeping the oxygen flow and even repairing tissues. Oxygen again!

3. The music one I do not know but it may have something to do with neurological stimulators also.

4. No, you cannot make a spider man. I believe the Naked Scientists tried this. If you just inject a bit of spider blood or plasma into a human it will do nothing. Spiderman was bitten and the venom itself transformed him somehow. Now maybe in the future Geneticists could break both the strands of DNA down and fuse them some how but I am sure that would end up in one of those creepy ''Kill....me...'' situations.

5. I have no clue what would happen to the spider if you did that...

6. I saw this question some where else before. Basically I think what would happen is...everyone would go flying at about 1200 miles per hour. We stand still be cause of the Earths rotation. Gravity just keeps up from accelerating off the planet. If you have ever been in 0 gravity before or in a plane that does a far ascent or descent or a car that turns very fast and you go slding into the door. If there was no door you would keep flying until you hit something or gravity pulled you down. Friction is not enough to hold you so you would basically go flying off the planet I guess and then once the gravity got turned on, depending how far you made it, you would either pummel back to the earth (but explode before then) or if you had enough motion you would literally orbit the planet or until you hit something else.

What would happen if...

2. you put a spider in a container and pump it up with huge amounts of oxygen?

Spider lungs aren't like human lungs, and a lot of them can breathe through their skin, but I would bet they need the same mixture of nitrogen/oxygen that we do, having evolved together. Too much pure oxygen in humans would cause a fluid buildup in the lungs, slowing the flow across the alveoli and making it even harder to breathe.

But atmospheric pressure is a factor as well, and that may allow spiders to breathe a high oxygen mixture for longer periods of time than a normal human. Is that what you're asking, or are you talking about pumping in regular air just to increase pressure on the spider?

i read from a rather stupid youtube comment that it makes spiders massive with lots of oxygen?

Spiders use gas diffusion to breath, so there size is limited by the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. In Earth's history there was a period of a much higher percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere than now and accordingly spiders were able to grow larger.

Spider DNA → Humans

The only place humans can use DNA is in the nucleus. So, you'd have two sets of genomes ending up creating two different kinds of proteins, which would recognize each other as foreign and attack them. So, I think, the resulting organism would not get very far in its development. Just adding extra human genetic material (XYY, Down, etc) typical causes serious developmental problems; they do not create a "superhuman" as one might expect. More is not necessarily better.

Spiders use gas diffusion to breath, so there size is limited by the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere. In Earth's history there was a period of a much higher percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere than now and accordingly spiders were able to grow larger.

so in theory we could make a massive spider? How about we just put the sydney funnel web with those levels of oxygen or more. Then we could have a massive, scary and poisonous spider! Yey! lol

so in theory we could make a massive spider? How about we just put the sydney funnel web with those levels of oxygen or more. Then we could have a massive, scary and poisonous spider! Yey! lol

Apparently some work has been done with dragonflies and hyperoxia. Most spiders, however, seem to be locked into a certain size limitation by how quickly the tracheal system expands as the body expands. They get to a point where they're too big to breathe properly, or rather the trachea can't keep up with the rest of the body.

Apparently some work has been done with dragonflies and hyperoxia. Most spiders, however, seem to be locked into a certain size limitation by how quickly the tracheal system expands as the body expands. They get to a point where they're too big to breathe properly, or rather the trachea can't keep up with the rest of the body.

thanks. Never knew that! Can you get me an article or something with pics about the dragonfly?

• 1 month later...