Spermatogenesis

I am comparing oogenesis and spermatogenesis. I was wondering if sperm are arrested as primary spermatocytes like primary oocytes are until puberty? In addition, is there a stimulus that forces spermatagonia to secrete a certain amount of sperm over a set time period like a primary oocyte becomes a secondary oocyte each month? Or do spermatagonia just randomly shift between mitosis and meiosis to constantly create more sperm that first matures on seminiferous tubules and then stored in the epididymis until needed?

I was wondering if sperm are arrested as primary spermatocytes like primary oocytes are until puberty?

I don't see why the primary spermatocytes would need to be present at all before puberty. Males continuously form new primary spermatocytes from the spermatogonia. Anyway, I'll see what I can find.

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

So basically this is happening all of the time. But I would assume that there would be a feedback mechanism to balance out the differentiated and nondifferentiated sperm. Thanks for the clarification. I was just trying to see the similarities between males and females. I understand the female and now wish to gain greater insight about the male reproductive system.

This looks like what you want.

Spermatogenesis - Hormonal Control

If the article is correct, spermatogenesis begins with the differentiation of spermatogonia into primary spermatocytes, and this doesn't happen until puberty. There's not a lot of citations, so you may have to use Google to check the info.

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die