Kepler's 1st Law

There has to be some sort of mass at the second foci in order to cause the planets to orbit in ellipses.

I must be missing something, can someone please explain how there can be elliptical orbits without a second mass?

Also, does the moon or in an elliptical or circular motion?

I just thaught that the planet of the solar system have small eccentricity: maybe the second focis is in the sun. I found the orbital element of the planet and of the sun.

JPL's solar system dynamics WWW

Mean Orbital Elements

The sun have a diameter of 1,390,000 km.

Quick calculation:

e:=eccentricity

c:=half distance focis

a:=semi-major axis

e=c/a

=> 2c=2ea

The less eccentric orbit is Venus and it gave a distance betwen the 2 focis of 1,450,000 km.

Earth 5 millions km (eccentricity=0.016)

So no the other focis is not in the sun. It's somewhere betwen the sun and the planet.

Is it a special point ? Mathematically YES

Physicaly ? I don't think

A good thing about this forum is that it force me to use some little math something I didn't do since a long time. I always been interested in astronomy from a general point of view. I know many different concept without much math around it.

Elementary math for many people, here in this forum.

I am new here and happy to exchange with you!

So much thing to learn and unlearn... ;)

There has to be some sort of mass at the second foci in order to cause the planets to orbit in ellipses.

I must be missing something' date=' can someone please explain how there can be elliptical orbits without a second mass?

Also, does the moon or in an elliptical or circular motion?[/quote']

No, there doesn't. It's because of the 1/r2 force.

Circular orbits are elliptical orbits, but the foci are co-located. However, the moon's eccentricity is 0.0549, so it's not circular, but it's close.

(e=(aphelion - perihelion distance)/(2 x semi-major axis), so e=0 is circular)

• 2 weeks later...