The most impossible engineering ever

Dovahkiin

Just kidding. My stepson got an electric scooter and I am trying to design a ramp to go up and down the stairs to the basement to store it overnight. I tried using just a 250cm long board but it slips on the stairs and I end up having to go and carry it up or down anyway. Any ideas on how to get it to stay the ramp/board to stay put while moving this thing up and down the stairs. I suck at Engineering obviously and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Because it is too heavy for the kid I had made it fairly long because It is easier to push it up the gradual slope then the actual height of the stairs (about 5 steps) without having to use the motor of the scooter itself to propel it.

Indoors or outdoors?

The simplest might be to just attach it to the floor somehow. But that might not be pretty on something like a wooden floor.

You could also try and anchor it above the stairs. If it's a outdoor basement with a lawn in front of it, you could attach it to something sharp that you can just chuck down into mother Earth, so the ramp hangs from that.

Edit: also, might I suggest speed bumps on the ramp? Those would help holding the scooter back when going down, to prevent it from dropping ALL by itself.

Edited by pwagen

Indoors or outdoors?

The simplest might be to just attach it to the floor somehow. But that might not be pretty on something like a wooden floor.

You could also try and anchor it above the stairs. If it's a outdoor basement with a lawn in front of it, you could attach it to something sharp that you can just chuck down into mother Earth, so the ramp hangs from that.

Edit: also, might I suggest speed bumps on the ramp? Those would help holding the scooter back when going down, to prevent it from dropping ALL by itself.

Sorry it is indoors. Maybe some pics will help. Ill go take some in a moment and put them up. I own and apartment in a three apartment building in Iceland so I cant really attach it. That is the main problem I forgot to mention. So it is just in the general stairwell inside. I have to be able to remove it and place it when necessary. I thought of using a ladder but I think It would still hold the problem of slipping off the top step when ascending and descending. Ill go take pics. Brb.

Pics here. http://imgur.com/a/2ZlzU

Edited by Dovahkiin

Instead of a ramp on the stairs, would it be possible to put hooks on the facing wall above the basement stairs (top middle of your picture) and hang the scooter from them? Depending on the weight, you may even be able to remove it from the hooks while standing on the longer set of stairs.

When you say "electric scooter", this is what I'm picturing:

13108546.jpg

If that won't work, perhaps you could build three small wooden right triangles (from 4" boards) that fit on each riser (step) and provide a portable ramp when in place. The weight of the scooter would actually hold them in place as you wheeled it downstairs.

Isosceles-right-triangle.jpg

Is this removable in the sense that you want things back to normal when you sell the house or that you to put it up and down every day?

You use cut always and extensions on the side to brace against the banister rail and alcove. To have a structure that extends to the floor and steps would also reduce slippage, maybe making some kind of folding structer if you want it to store more compactly . If don't mind screwing hinges into the wall Dimreeprs solution is probably best.

Instead of a ramp on the stairs, would it be possible to put hooks on the facing wall above the basement stairs (top middle of your picture) and hang the scooter from them? Depending on the weight, you may even be able to remove it from the hooks while standing on the longer set of stairs.

When you say "electric scooter", this is what I'm picturing:

No sorry should have clarified that too! it is one of these weighs about 150lb/68kg 20130417224702_0.jpg

Is this removable in the sense that you want things back to normal when you sell the house or that you to put it up and down every day?

You use cut always and extensions on the side to brace against the banister rail and alcove. To have a structure that extends to the floor and steps would also reduce slippage, maybe making some kind of folding structer if you want it to store more compactly . If don't mind screwing hinges into the wall Dimreeprs solution is probably best.

He needs to put it away in the storage room where with the bike every time he takes it up and down. My neighbors would sabotage or steal it most likely because they are douche bags. I am less worried about compact storage than the ability to store. It was just a note that I cannt just leave it there.

If you can't fasten a hinged board to the wall as dimreepr suggested because of your landlord, I think making three right triangles out of boards wide enough for the wheels would be a good solution. I don't know what your carpentry skills are, but you basically want something that evens out the stairs that can be placed and removed and stored easily.

If you can't fasten a hinged board to the wall as dimreepr suggested because of your landlord, I think making three right triangles out of boards wide enough for the wheels would be a good solution. I don't know what your carpentry skills are, but you basically want something that evens out the stairs that can be placed and removed and stored easily.

Carpentry skills are pretty good. Access to equipment is low. I have to find a way to cut angles. Though I guess even just 45 angles with two sides would work. I am going to see if I can work this out. Thanks.

Carpentry skills are pretty good. Access to equipment is low. I have to find a way to cut angles. Though I guess even just 45 angles with two sides would work. I am going to see if I can work this out. Thanks.

There are several hardware stores in your city. If they sell wood, perhaps you could ask if they can make the cuts for you. If you don't have any more projects that might be cheaper than buying your own miter box and saw.

If you want a ramp which is less steep than the steps, this is my design. A plank over an inch thick an wide enough for use as a ramp is in red, Legs cut from the same wood are in brown which the ramp is screwed to (blue squiggles are and dots are screws). In order to keep the legs rigid and provide extra grip, cut a rectangle of plywood of the same height and length of your ramp diagonally into 2 triangles and screw them onto both side of the legs and ramp planks (that's what the yellow shading is supposed to represent). Trim to fit.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByDLQlU7_quhMDl1ai04YzZRRTA/edit?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a ramp which is less steep than the steps, this is my design. A plank over an inch thick an wide enough for use as a ramp is in red, Legs cut from the same wood are in brown which the ramp is screwed to (blue squiggles are and dots are screws). In order to keep the legs rigid and provide extra grip, cut a rectangle of plywood of the same height and length of your ramp diagonally into 2 triangles and screw them onto both side of the legs and ramp planks (that's what the yellow shading is supposed to represent). Trim to fit.

This is actually looking like the simplest and most practical design. Well the separate blocks are most convenient as for storage but I have all the materials to build this and I can even sand the angle down instead of having to make angled cuts which I cannot really do. I think this is the plan I am going to go with. Thanks Mr.Monkeybat and everyone else who gave their input! This is a great site full of great thinkers!

Oh I will be honest though I am still worried about slipping but I am thinking good old fashioned duct tape may help with that. Thanks again.

This design seems vulnerable to forward collapse, especially with a lot of grip on the top surface; maybe using lots more screws than you think sensible would solve the potential problem.

Edit/ or using thicker supports

Edited by dimreepr

This design seems vulnerable to forward collapse, especially with a lot of grip on the top surface; maybe using lots more screws than you think sensible would solve the potential problem.

Edit/ or using thicker supports

Before the plywood is screwed onto the sides the legs are definitely vulnerable to being twisted off. Like allot of kit set furniture it can be quite fragile when partially constructed. But the plywood on the sides can do the job of many diagonals while being easier to install. The most important screws are at the top and bottom of the legs to keep them vertical, mid point screws mainly keep the ply from flexing. I agree you would not want to scrimp on screws.

• 3 weeks later...