10 + reasons for getting a shelter cat

menageriemanor

You can always get a kitten, in the kitten season. If you go to a quality rescue, the kittens and cats have had all shots, desexing, etc, and it is FAR LESS LIKELY you will take a kitten home and find it is ill and possibly dies, as happens regularly, if you get a suburban kitten, from a cat and kittens not protected from vaccinations. Often kittens in pet shops are from puppy/kitten mills. They aren't bred knowledgeably, for the most part, and haven't had good nutrition or vaccinations. I've lost count of the number of people with tales of distraught children getting a kitten from pet shop, that soon falls ill and dies. Remember, ALL kittens are cute, but within a couple of months, they look like an adult, and as kittens, you never know if your kitten will be bad tempered, or a slasher, as an adult.

If you go to quality rescue, tell them what your dream cat is, personality wise, they KNOW the cats in their care. An adult doesn't change in personality, unless mistreated, or ill or in pain. THAT is the way to get a dream cat. Purebred cats DO come in, if you are prepared to wait, and nowadays, most individual cat breeds have a rescue/rehome section in the breed club/association. Many cats are from wonderful homes, lovely cats, only in rescue due to death of owner, illness and care home residency that does not allow pets, or sadly, at present, bankruptcy and loss of home.

If you are a real animal lover, consider taking an established pair. They then amuse themselves, when you are out, they love each other's company. It is hard to find people who will take 2, and you, the rescue and the cats will be SO happy. Think about taking a 3 legged cat, and if it can have an indoor life, ideally, with dog safe enclosure, consider a deaf or blind cat, often overlooked but so grateful for a quiet, gentle, adult home. (Blind cats need NEAT people. It's mean to leave things all over the place, different, every day...) Also, please consider taking black or black and white cats. They are far less likely to be picked, JUST from colour, and so many more of them are PTS.

If you are looking, hope you choose wisely, and have a very happy and long mutual lovefest.

http://www.care2.com/causes/10-reasons-to-adopt-a-shelter-cat.html

It's a bit like ancient Egypt: people write on walls and worship cats.

reminds me of a joke i read once

DOG: wow! she feeds me, takes care of my every need, she must be a god

CAT: wow! she feeds me, takes care of my every need, I must be a god.blink.png