Iridium alloyed Chef's knife

JohnCli

My sister's B-Day is coming up and I want to surprise her by forging a Meteor Knife Set for her (I'm not really gonna be the one to forge it,I'll just buy the materials and give my dad's bladesmith the design for the Knives.) My dad gave me a relatively medium stock of metals last year and now I want to use most of it for my sister.

I need suggestions on how much Iridium,Platinum,Iron,Chromium,Nickel and Carbon I need to create a very great, very strong and corrosive resistant knife set, any suggestions? I already bought a diamond hone knife sharpener for the knife set.

One more thing,What's the best kind of light weight knife I can use when a Man Rabies (Zombie) infection breaks? cause I want my knives and blades to be hand forged using Top-Quality materials. Most survival sites are full of BS so I'll just stick to science.

ll just buy the materials

"Just"? For pure iridium, you're looking at $4200 per 100g. I don't know about you, but I'd buy her a hamster or something.

I need suggestions on how much Iridium,Platinum,Iron,Chromium,Nickel and Carbon I need to create a very great, very strong and corrosive resistant knife set, any suggestions? I already bought a diamond hone knife sharpener for the knife set.

Looking at this link here, it would seem pure iridium would do the trick.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/what-can-you-buy-with-100k-a-zafirro-iridium-razor-of-course/25706

No need for any of the other cheapskate metals. Really though, check with your dad's bladesmith to see if he can even make blades out of such exotic materials.

There is no real science of zombies.

I thought people like us should always keep an open mind on these things? it's not really far from happening, I'm not talking about reanimating the dead and blood less moving bodies, I'm talking about a new kind of prion disease that makes infected humans and animals act Zombie-Like. They are just like us only they attack un-infected people.

"Just"? For pure iridium, you're looking at $4200 per 100g. I don't know about you, but I'd buy her a hamster or something.

Looking at this link here, it would seem pure iridium would do the trick.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetreviews/what-can-you-buy-with-100k-a-zafirro-iridium-razor-of-course/25706

No need for any of the other cheapskate metals. Really though, check with your dad's bladesmith to see if he can even make blades out of such exotic materials.

I'm not gonna ask my dad to waste 100k for a Pure Iridium knife and I'd rather keep the budget for the knife at a maximum of $10k USD. What about a Diamond edged knife?

Only because zombies are unpredictable.

Thanks

I thought people like us should always keep an open mind on these things? it's not really far from happening, I'm not talking about reanimating the dead and blood less moving bodies, I'm talking about a new kind of prion disease that makes infected humans and animals act Zombie-Like. They are just like us only they attack un-infected people.

You are talking about something which does not exist and which would be practically impossible . That's not "keeping an open mind" that's "making up stories".

So, like I said, there is no science of zombies.

There is some science of things vaguely related to zombies but that's just playing with words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrodotoxin#Poisoning

How about you shape a knife out of steel and electroplate it with iridium instead....

Electroplating steel with iridium would only create a layer of iridium,so when the layer of iridium is gone you only get steel. However if you alloy iridium with other metals such as gold, iron, chromium and carbon you get a great knife.

Gold

Golden color

Carbon

Increased edge retention and tensile strength

Increases hardness, tensile strength, and toughness.

Chromium

Provides resistance to wear and corrosion.

More than 11% makes it "stainless", by causing an oxide coating to form.

Iron

Acts as an extender (You don't expect me to have a knife made out of pure iridium?)

Anyways I'm thinking of just making a Platinum-Iridium alloy knife set

You are talking about something which does not exist and which would be practically impossible . That's not "keeping an open mind" that's "making up stories".

So, like I said, there is no science of zombies.

There is some science of things vaguely related to zombies but that's just playing with words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrodotoxin#Poisoning

So are you saying that you are closing your "doors" to any possibility for any kind or form of a "Zombie" like infection to ever exist?

Pending even the arrival of even the most feeble evidence, yes.

In much the same way that I don't expect a party of dwarfs to turn up at my door with a wizard and ask me to join them in a dragon hunt.

It would be preposterous of me to, for example, buy in the food for them.

It would be equally preposterous for me to ask how I might expect to kill zombies- not least because, until they exist (if they ever do, which is very doubtful) there is no way that anyone could have any idea how they react.

Given the utterly speculative notion of their existence and behaviour, it might turn out that the best defence is a crappy old carving knife, rather than a platinum one.

They might, like witches of old, be unusually susceptible to iron.

or maybe they die if you recite "Mary had a little lamb" backwards.

It's impossible to predict so, as I said, there is no science of zombies.

And, if you can afford enough Pt Ir to make anything better than a doll's house dinner set, then you can pay for metallurgical advice.

Pending even the arrival of even the most feeble evidence, yes.

In much the same way that I don't expect a party of dwarfs to turn up at my door with a wizard and ask me to join them in a dragon hunt.

It would be preposterous of me to, for example, buy in the food for them.

It would be equally preposterous for me to ask how I might expect to kill zombies- not least because, until they exist (if they ever do, which is very doubtful) there is no way that anyone could have any idea how they react.

Given the utterly speculative notion of their existence and behaviour, it might turn out that the best defence is a crappy old carving knife, rather than a platinum one.

They might, like witches of old, be unusually susceptible to iron.

or maybe they die if you recite "Mary had a little lamb" backwards.

It's impossible to predict so, as I said, there is no science of zombies.

And, if you can afford enough Pt Ir to make anything better than a doll's house dinner set, then you can pay for metallurgical advice.

I wasn't talking about dragons and magic...yes I can afford enough to create a doll house and yes I can pay for metallurgical advice (well my father can afford it) however I still like to get suggestions from an open source of ideas like forums and that's why I post here and ask for advice.

I wasn't talking about dragons and magic...

Can you offer any evidence of zombies?

If not, you might as well be talking about dragons.

(And you seem to have failed to address the point about not being able to do science on them since they can't be observed).

No,however there is no harm in being prepared especially when the world is very messy.

The world's messiness doesn't enter into it.

You can't meaningfully prepare for a fight unless you have some ideas of the enemy's strengths and weaknesses.

Since Zombies don't exist, you can't say what those are so you can't prepare.

If knives are a big part of your zombie plan, you're already dead.

Well my plan is to hide in our bunker for 1 year then use my dad's stuff to liberate the post-apocalyptic world and rebuild from the ashes using not only guns but also Zombies if they ever become true

The world's messiness doesn't enter into it.

You can't meaningfully prepare for a fight unless you have some ideas of the enemy's strengths and weaknesses.

Since Zombies don't exist, you can't say what those are so you can't prepare.

Zombie = New form of Man Rabies = same human organ function except for a big change in mental health = aggravated, illogical, wild, infectious humans

Normal Strain Symptoms

Paralysis, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations, progressing to delirium

New Strain Symptoms

Anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations,

and other possible causes may be New strains of Toxoplasmosis and Prions or new kinds of Hallucinogens and NeuroToxins that may cause the said symptoms above. The universe is filled with a lot of undiscovered materials so you never say that zombies are impossible.

Another thing,can anyone tell me how I can edit a forum title?

Edited by JohnCli

Please stop talking crap.

For example "man rabies"doesn't exist, so there can't be a new form of it.

All of this

"Normal Strain Symptoms

Paralysis, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations, progressing to delirium

New Strain Symptoms
Anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations,"

is just stuff you have made up- it's not even good fiction.

and you have yet to address the point that, since zombies don't exist, you don't know what properties they have, so you can't tell what will harm them, so you can not prepare.

How, for example do you know that they can't get into your bunker?

(and the fact that you have one speaks volumes about your ability to assess risk)

Since they are entirely made-up, I can make up a zombie that eats through concrete and steel. My imaginary zombie is just as valid as your imaginary zombie.

How do you prepare when you have no idea what your enemy might be like?

Please stop talking crap.

For example "man rabies"doesn't exist, so there can't be a new form of it.

All of this

"Normal Strain Symptoms

New Strain Symptoms

Anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations,"

is just stuff you have made up- it's not even good fiction.

and you have yet to address the point that, since zombies don't exist, you don't know what properties they have, so you can't tell what will harm them, so you can not prepare.

How, for example do you know that they can't get into your bunker?

(and the fact that you have one speaks volumes about your ability to assess risk)

Since they are entirely made-up, I can make up a zombie that eats through concrete and steel. My imaginary zombie is just as valid as your imaginary zombie.

How do you prepare when you have no idea what your enemy might be like?

Normal rabies exist and they can be transmitted to humans and the normal strain symptoms are real symptoms not made up, so actually I'm not making things up for rabies do exist and it can be transmitted from dogs to humans. Almost every virus can be altered, engineered and they can also evolve. How for example do I know how they can't get into our bunker? Well first of all it's German-Made second of all well what I'm preparing for are rabid humans so they basically retain all their physical abilities, however, their mental health is unstable. plus if our bunker can withstand a nuclear blast then it can most definitely withstand a Rabid Apocalypse.

I know what rabies is.

What's the "man rabies" which you seem to have invented? Rabies is real and has real symptoms.

The zombies are not real and any symptoms you ascribe to them are made up.

If we go along with this weird idea that zombies are people with a version of rabies then a glass of water might be more use than a knife or a bunker.

My point is that you won't (and can't) know if the zombies are hydrophobic unless they arrive. So you don't know how to prepare for them.

Knive alloys are high-carbon martensitic steel, preferably stainless. Known ones:

X105CrMo17 or 1.4125, nearly equivalent to Aisi 440C

X90CrMoV18 or 1.4112

these are used for the best scissors, razors, surgeon tools... Their heat treatment is more subtle. They would really improve over the common X40Cr13: harder, resist corrosion better.

Would rare alloying elements like iridium bring them anything? I suppose you won't find literature on this topic. And since alloys are nearly unpredictable and can be quite sensitive to minor amounts of undesired elements (think of P, S...) I'd stay away from them to avoid brutal degradations like embrittlements or abnormal reactions to heat.

The better X105CrMo17 and X90CrMoV18 are said to be unusable by a smith, that's why the X40Cr13 is common. But you can find them as industrial round material, shape them with a grinding wheel, and let a professional harden them.

Interesting!

I read "with Ni and Cr he made stainless steel. His Pt-alloys surpassed..." which is a less clear statement than "he made stainless steel by using Pt".

This would be a new insight, because Cr is understood to make steel stainless through the hermetic oxide layer of the readily oxidized chromium, while Pt resists oxidation through its redox potential, making it useable for electric contacts. If I compare with Co, which resists oxidation the same way as Pt does though not as efficiently, the carbon-free piece of magnetic Fe50-Co50 I put under rain did stain. Much slower than normal steel, sure.

I know what rabies is.

What's the "man rabies" which you seem to have invented? Rabies is real and has real symptoms.

The zombies are not real and any symptoms you ascribe to them are made up.

If we go along with this weird idea that zombies are people with a version of rabies then a glass of water might be more use than a knife or a bunker.

My point is that you won't (and can't) know if the zombies are hydrophobic unless they arrive. So you don't know how to prepare for them.

Nice point, however, do you think "Zombies" will ever exist?

Knive alloys are high-carbon martensitic steel, preferably stainless. Known ones:

X105CrMo17 or 1.4125, nearly equivalent to Aisi 440C

X90CrMoV18 or 1.4112

these are used for the best scissors, razors, surgeon tools... Their heat treatment is more subtle. They would really improve over the common X40Cr13: harder, resist corrosion better.

Would rare alloying elements like iridium bring them anything? I suppose you won't find literature on this topic. And since alloys are nearly unpredictable and can be quite sensitive to minor amounts of undesired elements (think of P, S...) I'd stay away from them to avoid brutal degradations like embrittlements or abnormal reactions to heat.

The better X105CrMo17 and X90CrMoV18 are said to be unusable by a smith, that's why the X40Cr13 is common. But you can find them as industrial round material, shape them with a grinding wheel, and let a professional harden them.

Pr-Ir-Fe-Cr alloy can create a nice Durable knife, I'm not aiming for a filleting knife, I'm aiming to make a knife set that has a Bread Knife,Cleaver,Chef's Knife,Fork Knife, Steak Knife, Bagel Knife, Utility Knife and so on. I'm aiming for a right,expensive,special,durable sharp alloy that I can use as a B-Day gift. I already talked to my dad's employees and they suggested some mixtures, however, I would still want somemore opinions and advices since it's a special knife set.

It is possible to make stainless steel type alloys using Pt group elements.

I can't find a reference which says how much Pt is needed (I guess Ir would also work).

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed008p2430

Thank you for that link.

Nice point, however, do you think "Zombies" will ever exist?

Pr-Ir-Fe-Cr alloy can create a nice Durable knife, I'm not aiming for a filleting knife, I'm aiming to make a knife set that has a Bread Knife,Cleaver,Chef's Knife,Fork Knife, Steak Knife, Bagel Knife, Utility Knife and so on. I'm aiming for a right,expensive,special,durable sharp alloy that I can use as a B-Day gift. I already talked to my dad's employees and they suggested some mixtures, however, I would still want somemore opinions and advices since it's a special knife set.

Thank you for that link.

"do you think "Zombies" will ever exist?"

No I don't.

"Pr-Ir-Fe-Cr alloy can create a nice Durable knife,"

I doubt that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praseodymium

"Thank you for that link."

you are welcome.