1. 1. Do you like the SFN setup?

• Yes, it's fine
    • Yes, but it could improve
    • No, needs major overhaul

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SFN has one of the best layouts of any forum I've ever used, so I'd have to vote for the first option. However, there's one suggestion I might make, just to add to the conversation.

A percentage tally for posts in different sections would be interesting (if possible and not difficult to code), which would be a chart in their profile with numbers of posts in each forum, perhaps with a percentage score beside it. Someone who made 3 posts in General Discussion, 2 posts in Physics (probably best to count posts in the science sub-forums into their main forum), 2 posts in Politics, and 1 post in Philosophy & Religion would have a chart like so:

General Discussion - 3 posts (37.5%)

Physics - 2 posts (25%)

Politics - 2 posts (25%)

Philosophy & Religion - 1 post (12.5%)

the purpose being that people would know which sections others post in the most, which might be helpful to some or just interesting to see.

What is latex? I mean besides the rubbery substance.

Latex is a rubbery substance. LaTeX is what we use to write equations. LaTeX is pronounced latech, because the X is actually the Greek capital letter chi.

I think the general layout is amazing, this is obviously quite a popular view, however there are always little tiny things that are nice little extras.

for example J'Dona's post #28 would be very interesting.

in general statistics and numbers tend to make good interesting extras...

I think the categories need clarification. We often see posts on the same topic in different categories, just because the poster hasn't checked every category before posting and isn't sure which category the post belongs to.

Otherwise, it is great as it is.

No, when it says under what there doing e.g. Viewing Index

Science Forums and Debate , sometimes it says 'Viewing User Profile' it might be nice for it to say whos user profile they are viewing, if you see what i mean.

The advantage of which, would be that if somebody had noticed something on somebodies profile, then people watching would be alerted, and who could also check it out.