Matter-Antimatter Asymmtery and Black Hole Evaporation

Hi all!

Just read Hawking's A Brief Time in History and starting on The Grand Design. I have to say my mind is blown! I never really understood what my physic's professor was really talking about until now.

Anyway, I have a couple questions regarding the matter-antimatter asymmetry/CP violation. I read about how near the event horizon of black holes, one particle of the quark-antiquark pair fall into the black hole while the other particle can escape and as more mass is added to black holes, they can evaporate. I was wondering if there is a possibility that this black hole evaporation can cause matter-antimatter asymmetry if more quarks escape the event horizon as opposed to antiquarks. I think Hawking mentioned in his book that there are less primordial black holes than expected. If most of the primordial black holes have evaporated already and if a disproportionate number of quark particles escape the event horizon, could the matter-antimatter asymmetry be explained by the evaporation of most primordial black holes and escape of more quarks than antiquarks in the process?

Sorry if this post is confusing or scientifically ignorant! Just some thoughts while I was reading.

Edited by JustCurious?!

To my knowledge, not one single primordial BH has ever been detected. As to CP violation, IIRC B meson decay rates give something like one bilion anti-particles and one billion plus one particles, which accounts for all the matter. I believe that the LHC should have some data on this.

AFAIK the CP violation observed in accelerators is insufficient, in both proportion and type of particle, to account for galactic matter/antimatter asymmetry. I also strongly suspect that any mechanism involving a black hole would require a quantum theory of gravity, which we don't have.

I was wondering if there is a possibility that this black hole evaporation can cause matter-antimatter asymmetry if more quarks escape the event horizon as opposed to antiquarks.

this is not how i understand the process. two virtual particles are produced. one escapes and becomes real. the other crosses the event horizon, and to keep the balance as you have a real particle escaping, takes mass from the Black Hole and so will, over time, cause the BH to evaporate. or something like that.

:)

This is a somewhat dated summary of Hawking Radiation:

http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0409024v3.pdf

Hawking originally described how virtual particle-antiparticle pairs can become real particles near an event horizon. The above paper shows how this extends to bosons and fermions, but only directly mentions neutrinos, photons and gravitons. So I am unable to confirm that quark-antiquark pairs, or any of the other particles you mention are a product of HR.

Thank you for the responses and the pdf!

I am reading and mentating very slowly through the pdf since it has been many years since I took physics.

From my understanding so far of the pdf: The entropy of black holes are proportional to area. But under Generalized Second Law, the entropy of black holes and its surrounding should never decrease. We know that black holes can evaporate, meaning the area goes down to zero and so the black hole's entropy also goes down to zero. Therefore under GSL, the surrounding environment's entropy must increase. Zel'dovich predicted that rotating black holes cause amplification of certain waves, which means quanta are spontaneously emitted. But in actuality, neutrinos have not shown to be amplified due to Pauli's exclusion principle. So at present time, are we trying to figure out what exactly are emitted by black holes?

It seems that the more I read, the more questions I have.