Do we need political boundaries ?

CarbonCopy

Different political entities or kingdoms in the past were created because of difference in culture, language and economies. There was trade between different kingdoms but, they all maintained different cultural practices.

But, now we have a global economy, an almost common language ( English ) and a global culture based on this global language. So, for me it seems it seems illogical that we have different political systems when we now are moving towards a global culture. A global government would foster better understanding among humans and lead us to greater scientific heights.

So, do you think it is time we have a global government ?

We do not have a global culture. We merely have global trade, and even among the different countries there is a disagreement on how to run such an economy. So, just like in the old days, we are only trading with each other. The phrase "global economy" merely means that trade has become global, instead of regional.

Look at the massive differences between China and the USA, the two largest economies: one is still officially communist, the other capitalist. The Chinese have a plan economy, the Americans sometimes seem to attempt to have no rules at all.

Also, English is only the 3rd language by number of native speakers.

Even when you count the people speaking it as native or second language, Chinese is still the #1.

But just out of curiosity, how would you organize this? Democratically? Whose political system? The American? Or one of the many West-European democratic systems? Directly or indirectly chosen president? What to do with our queen? In the Netherlands we have a queen, you know... Soon, a king, btw. :)

Captain P is spot on the money - and I don't think you even have to go as far as comparing America to China. If you think of Luxembourg - and spin a 200mile radius around it; you get the Letzabourgians, the Belgiums (Flems and Walloons), the Dutch, the Germans, the French, the Swiss and the English - apart from the last 70 years we have been smashing 7 bells out of each other since the end of the pax romana! And even without that there is no doubt that we are completely different in many ways (apart from the Letzabourgians which I only put in cos I like the name). Whilst we are all modern mostly secular pluralistic democracies or constitutional monarchies, the differences are amazing. We have been struggling for decades to get a limited form of supranational government to work with - I have to admit it and I am a massive fan - only limited success

Different political entities or kingdoms in the past were created because of difference in culture, language and economies. There was trade between different kingdoms but, they all maintained different cultural practices.

But, now we have a global economy, an almost common language ( English ) and a global culture based on this global language. So, for me it seems it seems illogical that we have different political systems when we now are moving towards a global culture. A global government would foster better understanding among humans and lead us to greater scientific heights.

So, do you think it is time we have a global government ?

Peter Singer's book One World is a pretty good discussion about globalization, btw.

We do not have a global culture. We merely have global trade, and even among the different countries there is a disagreement on how to run such an economy. So, just like in the old days, we are only trading with each other. The phrase "global economy" merely means that trade has become global, instead of regional.

Look at the massive differences between China and the USA, the two largest economies: one is still officially communist, the other capitalist. The Chinese have a plan economy, the Americans sometimes seem to attempt to have no rules at all.

Also, English is only the 3rd language by number of native speakers.

Even when you count the people speaking it as native or second language, Chinese is still the #1.

But just out of curiosity, how would you organize this? Democratically? Whose political system? The American? Or one of the many West-European democratic systems? Directly or indirectly chosen president? What to do with our queen? In the Netherlands we have a queen, you know... Soon, a king, btw. smile.png

Most the differences you listed are political and not social/cultural. I was trying to say in my first post, since, we are more connected and know about other cultures more, it would help to have a united political system. Just saying this on the basis of cultural exchange.

Though, it will be difficult to reconcile the political system, as they seem incompatible.

And, btw, Mandrin is number 1 because there are many Chinese. It is nowhere near a ubiquitous as English. It may not be spoken by a lot of people but, it is seen as a standard. In fact, in many Asian countries, you are not considered educated unless you know English wink.png

I am no expert on politics ( yet ! ) so I'm not sure how to organize the global government. I wanted to see your answers.

Edit - Thank you ydoaPs, will check that book.

Edited by CarbonCopy

Most the differences you listed are political and not social/cultural. I was trying to say in my first post, since, we are more connected and know about other cultures more, it would help to have a united political system. Just saying this on the basis of cultural exchange.

Sorry to have to ask this question, but have you actually ever lived (or even traveled) abroad?

There are large cultural differences. The fact that we all know some mainstream music and Hollywood movies, and that we can all use the same Youbook and Facetube does not mean we have the same culture.

You want cultural differences? Let's start with work. What is the average number of holidays that Americans get? I get 9 weeks per year, and that's not weird. I expect to be fully insured when working. I expect my country to tax me heavily, so they can provide me with an excellent infrastructure, public transportation, free schools and heavily subsidized healthcare.

If we are going for one government, I demand that we use our system. I wonder how many Americans would object, and think that the communists had won after all.

Though, it will be difficult to reconcile the political system, as they seem incompatible.

[...]

I am no expert on politics ( yet ! ) so I'm not sure how to organize the global government. I wanted to see your answers.

You say it seems that the political systems are incompatible... yet you wonder how it would work. I'm confused...

I think one should also acknowledge that many differences, be it on the tribal, city or fiefdom level were often enhanced in order to create a type of unique identity. So in a way I would argue that the borders and differences were not necessarily natural lines determined by cultured and tradition, but it also worked the other way round. Tradition and culture were used as tools to create separate identities.

To me cultural identity is at the same time incredibly stubborn yet sometimes changes in surprising ways (though, without doubt this is heavily influenced by me living in an academic environment and being a immigrant).. While most like to emphasize differences, I always felt that at least in the important matters we tend to be fairly similar. We agree on what we want, but we want to achieve the results in very different way (and often have issues with compromising).

I think one should also acknowledge that many differences, be it on the tribal, city or fiefdom level were often enhanced in order to create a type of unique identity. So in a way I would argue that the borders and differences were not necessarily natural lines determined by cultured and tradition, but it also worked the other way round. Tradition and culture were used as tools to create separate identities.

To me cultural identity is at the same time incredibly stubborn yet sometimes changes in surprising ways (though, without doubt this is heavily influenced by me living in an academic environment and being a immigrant).. While most like to emphasize differences, I always felt that at least in the important matters we tend to be fairly similar. We agree on what we want, but we want to achieve the results in very different way (and often have issues with compromising).

I agree with the main picture you sketch, but I would suggest that humans just naturally want to be part of a group, and that therefore the creation of a unique identity is not so much a conscious decision of anyone in particular, or even of the group as a whole. Instead, the creation of that unique identity is just a part of being human.

Living in groups has been the common practice literally since history began, and probably long before that... So, we could therefore perhaps agree that, to the best of our knowledge, it is a part of being human to be part of a group?

I see this question in this thread not so much as a question as "why do we need differences", but more a question "why should we all become part of the same group"?

What single benefit would there be to have a world-government? I don't think I cannot see any. A world government may be able to keep the peace, but I don't see why the UN wouldn't be able to play such a role. They wouldn't need much more power to be effective.

It seems however to me that the main thing that has kept the peace lately in Europe is just one general thing: Shared mutual interests. Whether these are military (against the commies) or economic (European union) does not matter. You don't actually need a powerful united government for that.

I think it is more interesting to learn to accept our differences peacefully, and actually enjoy the differences. Cooperate where it is necessary, practical or profitable, and just leave it at that.

I agree with the main picture you sketch, but I would suggest that humans just naturally want to be part of a group, and that therefore the creation of a unique identity is not so much a conscious decision of anyone in particular, or even of the group as a whole. Instead, the creation of that unique identity is just a part of being human.

Living in groups has been the common practice literally since history began, and probably long before that... So, we could therefore perhaps agree that, to the best of our knowledge, it is a part of being human to be part of a group?

I see this question in this thread not so much as a question as "why do we need differences", but more a question "why should we all become part of the same group"?

What single benefit would there be to have a world-government? I don't think I cannot see any. A world government may be able to keep the peace, but I don't see why the UN wouldn't be able to play such a role. They wouldn't need much more power to be effective.

It seems however to me that the main thing that has kept the peace lately in Europe is just one general thing: Shared mutual interests. Whether these are military (against the commies) or economic (European union) does not matter. You don't actually need a powerful united government for that.

I think it is more interesting to learn to accept our differences peacefully, and actually enjoy the differences. Cooperate where it is necessary, practical or profitable, and just leave it at that.

IMO there is a pressing need for a world government. Only a world government can deal with threats such as global warming and terrorism.

It will also help the poor countries and make a more even distribution of wealth.

If we form a world government we actually promote our differences, rather than destroy. This actually will help bring us together, while still maintaining our difference.

You can take India as a good example. There are many states each with their own language and culture. When we talk to people in our state, we say that we are more this city/district of that state. But, when we talk to people outside of different states, we say that we are from this state. When we are outside our country, we say that we are from India. So, it is like a layer-cake of identifies, where each identity is retained.

I find this a good example to what we should be as global citizens.

And, BTW, I feel that when we have different political entities, we cannot live together peacefully.

IMO there is a pressing need for a world government. Only a world government can deal with threats such as global warming and terrorism.

Why?

Centralized power does not mean that it will tackle the climate issues. The USA and China are the two largest players at the moment, and they are not exactly shining examples of how to tackle the climate problems. The USA usually opposes any regulations. Why would a world-government be any different?

And terrorism is not a threat at all. It is just an excuse of governments to pull more power towards themselves, and to reduce liberty. The impact of terrorism on the lives of people is purely emotional: they spread fear - but in reality it is negligible. You might as well believe in ghosts and be afraid of that.

If you want to make this planet a bit better, I would attack our healthcare. Sadly, once again, America shows that a powerful federal government does not mean you will get healthcare. But if you want to make the world a bit safer for people, then you should fight a War on Cancer, not on terrorism.

But speaking of India: what benefit do you have from your national government? Why would your state governments not be able to carry out all those tasks?

But speaking of India: what benefit do you have from your national government? Why would your state governments not be able to carry out all those tasks?

Well issues such as sharing of river water and stuff like that, among other things.

A world government isn't possible at present, because the world's people are split into different races. These races are inherently divisive. They give rise to things like a "Black Police" union, or an "Asian Radio" station.

These examples are UK phenomena. No doubt replicated world-wide. Especially in the USA, or "Los Estados Unidas". Soon to be New Mexico. Tough for any white Americans. But you must give up your power, and go brown. That's what's desperately needed for a future USA, forget radical white dreams, like colonising the Solar System. Just get into the mainstream, where we become comfortably brown, and enjoy rap.

We need a melting-pot, where all the races will be be merged, under Government control!

Then Earth will become a true paradise, and we will all live peacefully. We will not have distractions like Science, or Literature, or Art. We must all wish for it, already!

Edited by Dekan

• 2 weeks later...