Proportion between matter and space in existence

Cryptonix

I read that each cubic cm of intragalactic space has about one hydrogen atom. The space between galaxies has even less density. According to the WMAP, about 72% of the universe is Dark Energy, 24% is Dark Matter and the rest is the more traditional stuff.

Hello, I discovered fact that percentage proportion between matter and space in existence is:

Space: 99,9∞%

Matter: 0,0∞1%

How did you "discover" this? How do you quantify the amount of space in existence? The amount of matter?

So because space and time are infinite, matter takes up 0.00...1%?

How much, would you say, is 0.00...1% of infinity?

Theoretically nothing, just imagine it, infinity space and just some matter there, even number of universes (big bangs) is > 1.

Any fraction of infinity is also infinity. Saying 0.0...1% of infinity is as pointless as saying half of infinity, it just doesn't work. So if your numbers are derived from space being infinite and matter being a fraction of space, chances are you haven't given this enough thought.

Edited by pwagen

"It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination." - the guide.

Share and enjoy.

Given it is not trivial to describe which space is occupied and which is not, e.g. electron orbitals, crystal structures. What definitions are you using? It appears you've just pulled numbers out of the air.

I think this 99.99% expression is not derived but is an expression people say when what they really want to say is " it's pretty unlikely". Then someone has come along and said i'll use maths on this and take it away from 100% . Thus by maths 0.01 % must be real stuff. But this comes from an expression, not a measurement.

However I may have shot myself in the foot by saying this ! EEk. This is the 'pot calling the kettle black ' Sorry.

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

All from subatomic particles to big objects surely, please think about it before post

As far as we can tell things like electrons are point like and their behaviour changes depending on their energy level in atoms so how do you account for that? What about in crystals with large lattice constants? I'd.rather you didn't tell me to think when your response to my question doesn't begin to answer it.

I would argue that "space" is misused in your statement. Einstein discovered that matter and energy are the same. If you mean the space between the planets, that is filled with the energy of the Sun and to a lesser extent some fraction of the energy from all the other stars in the observable universe. The space in and between galaxies is filled with this same energy. DE is also present and Dark Matter. If you only mean the space between my atoms' hadrons and electrons, that is filled with the EM force and at the nucleus by the strong force. So space is nowhere an empty space. Thus, the WMAP result is the only pertinent fact.

Last night I heard Stephan Hawking say that the total mass/energy vs space (dark energy) equals zero. There is exactly enough dark energy to cancel out all matter/energy. The universe began from zero and it still adds up to zero. Or something like that.

Edited by Airbrush