Smoking cessation and insomnia.

Hi there. I've got a question about quitting smoking and the resulting withdrawal. I was a smoker for about 5 years at a rate of close to a pack a day. (Sometimes more, sometimes less). About two weeks ago I finally decided to quit smoking. It's not worth the money to continue to smoke, and frankly I just sick of being 'owned' by the cigarette. Since quitting, I've gone through the typical withdrawal symptoms. I'm cranky, I'm irritable, and I'm fighting off cravings left and right. Nicotine gum is helping, but it's not a cigarette. To help myself go through the withdrawal, whenever I want a cigarette I force myself to do 50 situps or 50 'half' push-ups. (Where its the knees on the ground and you're relaly only pushing up half your body). I figure this will be a good way to increase muscle mass, fight off the weight gain associated with quitting smoking, and the help reduce the cravings. (Since doing a bunch of situps/pushups really hurts after a while).

Anyway, since I quit smoking two weeks ago, I've been having a LOT of trouble going to sleep. I just can't seem to fall asleep anymore. I get really tired and lay in bed, but it takes me a good three hours to finally fall asleep. I've tried everything; sleep aids, a shot of bourbon, music, you name it. Is this normal? Does mild insomnia generally occur when you quit smoking? Also, why is it happening and when should I expect it to go away? Thanks. :)

Yes, it's perfectly normal. It is only temporary and will pass.

It happens because nicotine is an acetylcholine receptor antagonist (it blocks ACh receptors). ACh is a major motor neurotransmitter. When you smoke, nicotine triggers these receptors and provides a hit, but it won't release the receptors and blocks them. To compensate, your body produces more, so your overall numbers of ACh receptors are higher than a non-smoker's. As you are no longer blocking them with nicotine, normal levels of ACh are now triggering greater numbers of receptors. This leads to agitation, sleeplessness and a bunch of other stuff. However, your body will re-establish its normal balance. This takes around 3 - 4 weeks, although you should notice an improvement in your ability to sleep in a shorter time. Hang in there!