Artificial intelligence

the GardenGnome

What about integrating neural tissue into circuits? It seems a little impractical to me as technology in itself but could be a good way to learn more about the functioning of the brain. A lamprey brain has already been hooked up to a robot, which it allows it to control the robot.

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1043001.stm

From the site above: "Scientists have also wired a mechanical water feeder into the brain of a rat. At first, the animal would move the device towards its mouth by pushing a lever. But eventually, the rodent learnt how to bring the feeder closer by merely willing it to happen." Substitue 'rodent' with 'man', and 'feeder' with 'beer', and they have a marketable product.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest web_dunkaholic

frankly, AI systems will never be as human brain. The brain has the ability to create something out of nothing: an idea. The computer ( AI systems) are based on analyzing past experience or tasks and improving them.

Originally posted by the GardenGnome

With the new technology will it be possible to have a computer mimic the way a brain works so it can then think for itself and become intelligent? Maybe even cry?

I'm positive in the future there will be "thinking machines" it's just a matter of time. There is really no reason at all that it's not possible, there is no "vital force" or soul that we can't manipulate.

Originally posted by T_FLeX

I'm positive in the future there will be "thinking machines" it's just a matter of time. There is really no reason at all that it's not possible, there is no "vital force" or soul that we can't manipulate.

Feelings? Love? Music? Arts?

Originally posted by NSX

Feelings? Love? Music? Arts?

why not? if you were an impartial alien entity looking at the Earth a couple of million years ago, you would may well have thought that nothing on that planet would ever be capable of feelings, love, music and arts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

in the future we will all have supersensitive chips in our brain, they are networked through sattellites to transmit to giant plants of coputer chips----- brain extensions. Obviously it would be inefficient to cram all that directly into our heads so its radio transmission. Smart people will learn to psychicly hack through the brain extension servers, they will learn to use their chips to control their brain to release the propper chemicals to give them superhuman abilities--- they will hack into each others minds. There will be people who missuse this power ---- hacking into other peoples brains, causing havoc and such. There will be a resistence, but the evil will spread like a plague and turn our race into monsters--- this is when the machines will take over. The truth is the machines had humans helping them, the last resistence decided that enslavement, set apart for future freedom would be a better fate. So these humans were able disconnect their group from the system, so they could not be hacked in their mission. They built super computers and in few years reconnected to the net, releasing a plague--- disrupting the minds of humanity, and plugging in the machines to use our brains to their own purpose. They use us to give them more power until we have none left, and we are used only as batteries, our minds contained in an enormous computer matrix that simulates life through electrical input to our brains--- while we lay in pods as vegitables and they feed off our energy.

The truth is all of this has already occured.

Ha just kidding!! Actually, though there is no way for me to prove that it isn't all exactly correct. The case is possible ---- though you say unlikely, it is not impossible. So in the case of possibility--- if under the case the probability cannot be measured, and we may never awake from the dreamworld. I don't believe it, but i cant proove it.

OH my GOD!!!!! Its terminator and Universal Soldier all over again!!!!

Well, I don't believe it is possible to have an AI that can be identical to a human brain...It will still only be mimicing, and it would never "think" for itself...Unless of course you rip someones brain from there head and mix the chemical electro stuff with wires somehow....But that would sick and would be stupid..... We need to create an AI thats far superior to humans, that has no sense of will.......

Guest wickaph

hmm. since it's a bit related, i'll ask what things can an expert system possibly be applied to? aside from medical diagnosis (cancer expert system, etc.) and chess

The brain, learns, from learning, it developes ideas.. example...

One brains evolution---

Finger pressed onto a burning oven top=pain

Learned:oven brings pain

Finger put into flame=pain

Learned:The same pain from flame and oven, common factor HOT,

Hot things bring pain, don't touch

While these are two different circumstances, you need a common factor to learn why the pain happens...

in the end if you want AI, you will need decades of programming.. once you have enough programing with all the knowledge of mankind.. well.. why need AI? you just gave the computer all the common sense, intellegence, responce it will ever need. Something new comes along, update the software. This is probably the closest thing to AI we will ever get.

Originally posted by wickaph

hmm. since it's a bit related, i'll ask what things can an expert system possibly be applied to? aside from medical diagnosis (cancer expert system, etc.) and chess

Go.

I believe we will never see any sort of AI aproaching the complexity of a human being. While we may be able to complete a version of AI to preform some certain tasks, to be able to program in the ability to adapt in the way the human brain does would exhaust the matter in the known universe,(Michio Kaku I believe,) using modern technology.

The brain automatically changes when damages, so nearly infinate redundancy would have to be built in. Just like if one bad sector of current computer memory would cause the entire card to be worthless , the AI would have to be built so that any individual sector could fail, be routed around, and it's function carried out by other area's of the memory spontainiuously. As we know, if one etching of a transistor fails on an intigrated circuit the whole circuit fails. So not only would each sector of AI memory have to with hold information, but also process it.

I was told in about '95 that if all tecnology were to stop, and nothing new was ever discovered, it would take us 150 years to exhaust it's potential. Not only do we not understand what will be in the future, we don't even realize the full potential of what we already have. Technology will continue and I think that at some point it will be possible. Even if it is to become possible to create true AI, I doubt humanity would follow through. I don't think it would take a very 'smart' computer to realize it does not like being rebooted.

Also, as a point of placing computers in peoples heads, I think there is one major hurdle. People do not think in bionary. MIT is working on a new way to convay information that both humans, and computers can understand. This is know as a datagliph. I think this is a good step, however, it is not a true form of communication, which defined it the dynamic ,ongoing process of calling up meaning through the use of symbols. More of a rosetta stone. People would look at a picture of a sunset for instance, and see a sunset. The computer can scan the same picture and get all the digital information it needs to recreate the image on a computer moniter. However, the information it's self is still diffrent, just contained within the same source.

• 2 weeks later...

I do think that is possible to create an AI that can go trough live like animals do.

I don't mean mimic the behavior but having a behavior based on who/what it/he is.

But I don't think that a CPU is the way to go because it's just too 'perfect'.

(maybe it can be made less perfect without stopping to work )

and about "Feelings? Love? Music? Arts?"

I don't think there is a problem there.

if you make it/him imperfect with a goal(staying alive) you will automatically have those.

What is wrong with producing A.I.?

You say that a computer could not act on what he/she/it is, and thats fair enough, but thats because they have no raw data for what they are in the first place.

In humans, we have DNA, which (as far as humans are currntly aware) defines a large majority of personality, etc.

Without this robots would not be able to get started on intelligence, because in a sense, they have no identity. (I think)

They would also have no basic instincts that would be able to operate their body even with a lack of concioussness.

With this, i don't see why there could not be A.I. However, it may not be neccessary to create proper concioussness on par with humans, beacuse we may not have conciussness.

On a fundamental level, brains are made of the same elements as can be found in your leg, and possibly a few in a rock, neither of which are capable of rational thought, etc. So, on that note, what says we can't reproduce a brain with the materials used in a computer than found in the brain.