What's your favourite way to learn?

Izzy_Bee

I was just wondering this as I tend to learn more when I teach something to someone, I can be vocal and I prefer that way of learning and when you directly talk with another individual you're constantly learning new stuff as they input to you some new ideas and questions which interest you and push your mind further to learn more.

I find I can recall more information this way then what I would be able to if I was answering a question paper. I never learn well from reading from a book, or the internet I never remember what I read. If I was to have a conversation about it, I'd be fine!

So, I believe I learn more when I teach something.

How about you?

I learn more when I have a practical issue or question to solve. It focuses me. I really struggle to learn just for the sake of learning. I need to apply knowledge to solve problems or answer questions.

Well, I guess if it works for you then that's great, I will walk away from a practical issue (tests or anything I come across) until I understand it better and know I won't make any or as many mistakes (which used to happen often in chemistry as I'd power dive in to it!)

I feel I always have a better understanding when I'm forced to work my own way through things. It's always strange how often I forget formulas in physics classes and BS my way to the correct formula. Afterwards I tend to actually know the formula I found, even if it's not the one the professor prefers to be used.

I take a layered approach. Usually something catches my eye on the net or in a book, so I'll research for other pieces on the subject. Eventually I start talking about it (I guess that would be teaching) and hope someone else knows more than I've found. Ultimately, discussing it with others who know the subject gives me the varied perspectives that helps me figure out if there's a practical application (as CaptainPanic mentioned).

I feel I always have a better understanding when I'm forced to work my own way through things. It's always strange how often I forget formulas in physics classes and BS my way to the correct formula. Afterwards I tend to actually know the formula I found, even if it's not the one the professor prefers to be used.

I have a similar issue, I feel when I am reading something and not communicate more directcly about it, I know I take it in, but if I was to....be asked to say it out half an hour later I would be stumped.

If I was to talk about it for half an hour and asked a week later, I would think "Oh, I was talking about this" and more recite my own words any my own understanding and tend to get it spot on.

Being forced to work though something, wouldn't do it for me I would explode under pressure! However I know for some the force is something that drives them and I guess that would be yourself :)

Where you say you remember the formular, but the professor prefers to use, is that because you feel this one fits you and your working mind better?

Perhaps your professor would prefer yours over his as long as it gets the right answer, the rest is childs play how you get there! :)

Great reply, thank you :)

I take a layered approach. Usually something catches my eye on the net or in a book, so I'll research for other pieces on the subject. Eventually I start talking about it (I guess that would be teaching) and hope someone else knows more than I've found. Ultimately, discussing it with others who know the subject gives me the varied perspectives that helps me figure out if there's a practical application (as CaptainPanic mentioned).

I like your approach it reminds me of myself. I thought I was alone with my way of learning when I teach it, as most people I assumed ( and I shouldn't have...I've learned that now) would say:

"I learn better by being shown what to do first/I learn better via, listening or watching"

Thanks for the reply :)

I was always better at getting information by reading. Preferably in presence of a decent cup of coffee. Talking works best for me for brainstorming sessions. I.e. getting big, rough, ideas. Details again better in writing.

When I was a student it was slightly different as there were more concepts that you could simply learn. In that context it did help to explain others a particular concept in order to detect holes in one's own understanding. Listening to lectures never helped me much, unless I was already familiar with the topic and just basically listen to highlights..

I was always better at getting information by reading. Preferably in presence of a decent cup of coffee. Talking works best for me for brainstorming sessions. I.e. getting big, rough, ideas. Details again better in writing.

When I was a student it was slightly different as there were more concepts that you could simply learn. In that context it did help to explain others a particular concept in order to detect holes in one's own understanding. Listening to lectures never helped me much, unless I was already familiar with the topic and just basically listen to highlights..

That's a good reply thanks :)

Any form of learning is better with a good cup of coffee in my opnion :P

In comparison to the scientists I know, engineers really often work backwards. First fix it, and only then figure out why that actually worked (time permitting). Certainly doesn't guarantee that you end with the best solution, but at least it will work.

Scientists will eventually find the best solution, but cannot guarantee it is within the deadline and budget. (And I admit that I paint a very black-and-white picture).

I often just don't have the time to do much research.

Well, there are also other factors. In science your job tends to be to ask and answer specific question. So there is nothing to fix in that regard. I.e. you cannot fix cancer and figure out how you did it

For the individual issues that pop up on the way the approach is often pragmatic, if the approach allows that. I.e. you figure out that a given protocol works and just use it without further optimization (or in many cases, understanding why it works). For other situations, you may need to get a deeper understanding, e.g. if your goal is develop a method (instead of just using one).

In addition it should also be acknowledged that science is also on a tight budget and deadline, also the latter tend to be softer. But still, if you cannot get deliverable out, our funding is getting cut. If you do not get it out fast enough, someone else will. And again, I could pick apart the majority of protocols in molecular biology and show that they certainly are not the best solution, just working ones.

I was just wondering this as I tend to learn more when I teach something to someone, I can be vocal and I prefer that way of learning and when you directly talk with another individual you're constantly learning new stuff as they input to you some new ideas and questions which interest you and push your mind further to learn more.

I find I can recall more information this way then what I would be able to if I was answering a question paper. I never learn well from reading from a book, or the internet I never remember what I read. If I was to have a conversation about it, I'd be fine!

So, I believe I learn more when I teach something.

How about you?

I am just about the complete opposite of you – I learn more on my own than by talking to other people. Talking to other people tends to be rather distracting for me whereas my concentration is better when I’m doing and focusing on my own research. smile.png

I learn and gain understanding of a subject only when under pressure - I thrive working under deadlines. Methods of learning, group work/solo research, taught courses or original study are all the same, I really cannot get going till the deadline dawns. When I suddenly subconsciously acknowledge that time is ticking past and it's all getting a bit too late, only then do I kick into gear and start working decently. I no longer even try to complete tasks in a well ordered and timely manner because I know that my heart and my head won't be in it - well not until it is the last minute. Because I have realised quite how screwed up my psyche is, I can plan around it ; a six month project ends up as a month of low key mundane research, documentation, literature review etc, 4 months wasting time (SF.NET anyone?), and a few weeks mad panic at the deadline. Very bad for the health, co-workers, and the look of thing - but it works for me. Dunno what hormone it is that takes over and gets me functioning but I cannot over-ride it and work normally.

I analyze the literature and practice recall of the concepts; I also attempt to simplify the concepts so I can abstract and generalize about them. Anything beyond that becomes time consuming, such as application of theory, re-writing something in my own words, or teaching the material to someone else.

Then again, such a paradigm may be from my biology training.

I will concur that time constraints and pressure also tend to give me an edge. But there are periods where time constraints and pressure are too much, and my ability to master something is limited by beginning to understand the material whereas others may have already gained a grasp on the material: Organic Chemistry II..

Yes! I am still mad about organic chemistry II and will never, ever stop being mad for the rest of my life.

Edited by Genecks