Arguments for the prohibition of drugs

Grockel

Can anyone provide me with good arguments supporting the prohibition of drugs? Here are my arguments against the prohibition:

1. Prohibiting drugs increases violence. Murder rates dropped significantly when the USA ended it's prohibition of alcohol in the 1930's.

2. The prohibition of drugs is counter productive, it results in the funding of organized crime, terrorists and corrupt politicians.

3. The prohibition of drugs is hypocrisy, alcohol and tobacco are more dangerous than most drugs yet they are legal. The danger posed by drugs has been grossly exaggerated.

4. Many drug users are otherwise law abiding people, criminalizing them is unfair and a waste of police resources.

5. The war on drugs shows no sign of ending and appears to be unwinnable.

I am not for prohibition because it doesn't solve the problem. Haven't you thought about why people drink, smoke and do drugs in the first place?

Well, to start doing drugs, people had to be able to get them. The more prevalent they are in society, the more people will be able to easily try them and become addicted. Also, the age of first use will probably decrease as well. So, that is an argument for prohibition.

Its why we don't just have any chemical on Wal-Mart shelves for anyone to buy. Drugs is a big category. We have prescription medication that is already regulated. Weed should be made legal, IMO. Looks like it is heading that way. But, to say all drugs should be legalized is a huge step.

Meth and crack don't appear to have any benefits, but they cause some serious health issues. I understand the argument that its better to bring the use out in the open, but its going to result in more people using. This causes permanent brain changes over time. These people won't quite be the same again.

Society requires maintenance. Maintenance isn't fun, its tedious and thankless work. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

Edited by john5746

Drugs had to be invented before people could get their hands on them. To clarify my original question... why did drug dealers start producing drugs in the first place? To support a psychological need?

We don't need marijuana to be legal since we can produce our own endocannabinoids and opioids by exercising and eating whole natural foods.

By the way. I am not for prohibition and neither legalization.

Drugs had to be invented before people could get their hands on them. To clarify my original question... why did drug dealers start producing drugs in the first place? To support a psychological need?

drug dealers do it for the money, same reason big pharma does it. People try them to escape themselves, I guess.

We don't need marijuana to be legal since we can produce our own endocannabinoids and opioids by exercising and eating whole natural foods.

That organic bran muffin you ate had something extra in it. smile.png

drug dealers do it for the money, same reason big pharma does it. People try them to escape themselves, I guess.

That organic bran muffin you ate had something extra in it. smile.png

Our diets aren't nutritionally deficient?

LOL. Your assumption failed. I don't eat grains and dairy.

It seems to me the basic argument against legalizing the current illegal drugs is because many people are afraid that most people will become lazy drug addicts or charges upon society. With all drugs legal, unemployment would go thru the ceiling, and the ranks of the homeless would explode. People high on drugs don't want to work. This will weaken social structure and the nation will collapse like the fall of the Roman empire, plunging us into another dark age. Too bad, because I love cannabis, and I can't stand alcohol or tobacco. I'm not even curious about crack or meth, but I'm curious about stuff like LSD, mushrooms, salvia, peyote, etc.

Edited by Airbrush

Devil's advocate answer:

Because drugs are much more than a 1-off deal; as they are, they are exploitative and harmful. Therefore, for the same reasons that we have office safety requirements, even though some might be willing to work in a more dangerous environment: that those offering such a job are doing so to exploit the desperation of those who need a job so badly that they are willing to endanger their own lives and well-being.

Drugs are much more than just "what we decide to put in our body"; they also change what we fundamentally want - in ways that can easily be undesirable.

In short, a prohibition of drugs can be seen as an attempt to prevent exploitation of people's need for a temporary fix. The war on drugs as it is clearly isn't executed in such a way, and I fundamentally disagree with it, but this part of the idea behind it isn't entirely off the mark.

=Uncool-

By the way. I am not for prohibition and neither legalization.

A lot of drugs were discovered rather than invented.

Hempseed is a natural whole food and you could extend that definition to the rest of the plant.

Opium, magic mushrooms, and coca leaves are natural too.

And, if you are not in favour of these plants being legal or illegal, what are you in favour of?

Can anyone provide me with good arguments supporting the prohibition of drugs?

IMO, the only defense for the prohibition of drugs is that they're basically poisons. They alter our judgment and other capabilities in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. This argument also extends logically to alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other substances we ingest for recreation.

A lot of drugs were discovered rather than invented.

Hempseed is a natural whole food and you could extend that definition to the rest of the plant.

Opium, magic mushrooms, and coca leaves are natural too.

And, if you are not in favour of these plants being legal or illegal, what are you in favour of?

You're right.. first discovered however I meant invented as in.. purified into powder.

We produce our own endorphins when we exercise, make love, hug, etc...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid

Endocannabinoids are produced from omega 6's after exercise as a reward. Nuts are the best source of omega 6's.

I am in favour of working together to grow our own healthy foods and exercise.