The Strength of Faith

Phi for All

The strength of faith is not in changing the physical world but in changing the mental world. This seems lost on some people from both camps.

The parents thought faith could actually change the physical world, and apparently continue to be believe so even after their first child died. This is a mistake of religious people, despite all the evidence you could ever want (studies have been done, i'll did them up if anyone wants). But it also a mistake to think that faith does absolutely nothing in such circumstances.

Prayer may never have actually cured anyone, but it has helped bring people some comfort when they most need it. The fact that they had to invest in some elaborate theology in order to be able to do this is just the way it is for some people.

For a secular context consider the story Of Mice and Men. Lenny dies with a picture of somewhere idyllic he wants to go before George puts a bullet through his head. That picture was never going to be real, we all knew that. But George was too simple to know, and so died happy. Would you deny him that happiness, even if it's a lie?

Not sure how i'd answer that myself, but away from all the BS claims of faith interventions in the physical world, it seems clear that faith does affect the way people experience the world.

I've never denied that faith is important, or useful, or comforts many people. As far as changing the mental world, I don't think it's nearly as strong as trust when it comes to the things worthy of our belief. While faith might comfort some mentally in certain special situations, trust in reality does more to promote a healthy mental respect for what actually happens in this universe, in my opinion.

Faith shouldn't be considered stronger than trust in reality, but it often is, and sometimes people die because it is. Mental world affects the physical and sometimes people forget that.

While i agree with you, it's not hard to see why people invest in faith rather than reality. To an undisciplined mind reality can seem a bleak and depressing prospect - easier to use faith or alcohol to make it all fluffy and cuddly. Sure this denies people the majesty of reality, but what can you do about it?

While i agree with you, it's not hard to see why people invest in faith rather than reality. To an undisciplined mind reality can seem a bleak and depressing prospect - easier to use faith or alcohol to make it all fluffy and cuddly. Sure this denies people the majesty of reality, but what can you do about it?

I think the issue get's Hung Up upon what exactly the word FAITH pertains to. Many people use this word as associated with a GOD or Religion and when things go south for such people....they site their FAITH as what will get them through such hardships or difficult times.

In all my experiences I have never seen some unexplained Miracle solve such issues. Yes there has been unlikely events that were favorable to those in trouble...but this is little more than what happens when a person against extreme odds wins the lottery.

I have little patience or sympathy for those who would prefer Prayer to action and believe and state that their Fate is up to GOD.

A persons Fate is what they make of it and unless you happen to be one of these Lottery Winners you are going to find out first hand just how great a mistake it is to do nothing.

Split Infinity