Homosexual Gene?

Guest Sxy_Nerdette

Guest Sxy_Nerdette

I dunno, if this post has been placed anywhere else on this website yet, as, as is clear from the fact that I am a "Lepton" (btw that is jks ppl!), I am very new to this site!

The question I am putting forward is, do people agree that there is a gene that predisposes people / men to homosexuality?

All thoughts welcome, I will post my own ideas, once other people start putting forward their respose! I did read an article about a theory that the supposed gene also allows women to have more children ... as if there were a gene, the question is: surely homosexuality should have died out by now?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To sum it up, there is a link in genetic makeup but it's far from being the cause.

I don't like mushroom because I was forced to eat them as a child, however some people don't like them because they have a different inherited abilitys to taste.

Genes are only one part of the answer, but the question is vauge to start with.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Drag_Ice

I think genes have less to do with it than the imprinting of society onto a child's mind.

I mean take my Moms for example, that’s right I have 2 Lesbian Mothers, I'm straight as can be but a lot of my family is gay. So if genes were all that determined if you’re gay or not shouldn’t I be gay because of my genes

Homosexuality is Due to a part of your brain (i forget its name) that is Sexually Specifio.

It is large in women and small in men (or vice-versa), and hence if you have a deformatiy of this part of the brain, i.e. the wrong size, Transvestianism and/or Homesexuality may occur.

This was looked into in the Horizon programme 'The Boy Brought up as a girl'. It turned out after extensive research, that even as he was brought up as a girl (his penis being burnt off in a circumsision, parents thinking this would be the best for him) he acted like a boy and finally got changed back to a man.

Sorry I cant find a link.

I think you have that gene.

(how's that for ad hominem attacks?)

The dilemma was about whether or not the circumstance led to a homosexual gene or just a choosing to be something. BTW - Sayonara - what are you credentials in genetic biology?

Pretty poor' date=' seeing as there is no "gay gene".

The dilemma was about whether or not the circumstance led to a homosexual gene or just a choosing to be something.

That's not a dilemma, that's just a question.

A dilemma is a[n impossible] choice that needs to be made between two equally convoluted or difficult alternatives.

BTW - Sayonara - what are you credentials in genetic biology?

Good enough for this thread, I can assure you.

If you wish to question my "credentials", it would be an idea to do it off the back of something I actually said, rather than as some random pre-emptive strike in a conversation where genetic biology has not actually appeared in any quantifiable form.

To get back to the topic: ed84c's rambling paraphrasing from memory of a study into one aspect of the area, presented by a pop-media science show, is not the definitive answer to the question of homosexuality.

The dilemma was about whether or not the circumstance led to a homosexual gene or just a choosing to be something. BTW - Sayonara - what are you credentials in genetic biology?

even if he DID have that gene (if such a thing exists), I don`t like most gays, but Sayos still ok in my book, so it`s hardly an attack, and wouldn`t make many of us think any differently towards him.

sorry man, you lose on that one!

Back To the Point.

If there WAS a gene, would it be a gene on itself or e.g. a change in the base of another gene?

Because i thought we only had 46 chromosones, (does that mean that there are 46 different types?) In which case then an extra gay gene would mean that there are only 45 that DO NOT deal with homosexuality. I find this unlikely, judiging by the complexity of the human organism.

The Native Americans had a unique point of view:

http://www.newint.org/issue201/dreams.htm

...The European chroniclers who first came across such behaviour and customs described them in terms that belonged to their own world. So American Indian homosexual men were called ‘berdaches’ - French for ‘slave-boys’, used to refer to passive male homosexuals. The name stuck - although its servile connotations were quite inappropriate in the Native American context where berdaches were accorded considerable social prestige.

Indeed, gay transvestites were often the shamans or healers of the tribe. Sometimes they had specific religious duties. Among the Crow Indians, for example, the tree that was used in the Sun Dance ceremony would be cut down by homosexual men. Berdaches were regarded as having special intellectual, artistic and spiritual qualities. They were also reputed to be hard workers. Their ability to combine female and male qualities often put them into the role of mediators between the sexes. When asked ‘when you die ... what will you be in the spirit land? A man or a woman?’, one Sioux ‘winkle’ naturally replied ‘both’.

Has anyone else read about this?

It seems to me there are a number of variables that effect homosexuality. Genetics certainly seems to be one factor. I can't find a reference but I believe it has been shown that there is a statistically significant increase in homosexuality among second born suns. IMO it seems there is not a single gene responsible for what I feel is a complex behavior. It rather probably a combination of genes, along with environmental factors that contribute to homosexuality.

$0.02

Like most human traits, a combination of genes would probably play apart. There is much controversy, however, whether or not politicians and gays want there condition be acknowledged as genetic. It would be treated as a "genetic disease." Becasue there genes would be variant from "normal." Politicians would have no choice but to allow gays have marriages. BEcasue this would be there constitutional right not to be discriminated against as haveing a "genetic disability."

However what person would want something they consider their choice to be called a disease?

There is much controversy, however, whether or not politicians and gays want there condition be acknowledged as genetic. It would be treated as a "genetic disease."

I'm not a geneticist by any stretch of the imagination, but isn't a genetic disease more things like Down's Syndrome and the like? On the risk of straying off-topic (and making myself looking like a complete fool), I certainly don't think that having homosexual tendencies can possibly be classed in the same category as such serious diseases as these.