Who Tweets?

iNow

I have one (someone I dated a while back essentially made me get one), but I haven't used it in a few months. When I do use it, I tend to get tweeted back by "famous" biologists, though. One can probably guess my username.

I don't subscribe to the "I'll follow you if you follow me" model

That is not the model I proposed, though. More accurately, the model under consideration here is that we share a lot of similar interests and I might post some cool stuff that you would enjoy. On another note, I might simply tweet about cool shit I read on your blog like the snowflake video I tweeted today, so there's that. wink.png

^ Perhaps a good reason to try the social network thing. With me, it's brought more texture and depth to my friendships, connected me with new people, and helped me realize that there are a great many people who share similar passions and interests with me.

I don't understand tweeting, I doubt anything I do is interesting enough for anyone to care about knowing...

Yeah - I know what you mean . I will say one thing however - a number of times I have stopped moving the cursor here on SFN and suddenly a description of a Christmas parade in Castle Hayne has popped onto my screen and I give a smile; that's tweeting, you just need to do it more often.

It's a lot like a news feed for my friends and people whom I find educational (Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye, etc.) and people who just say funny things, or others who point to events in my area or share information about something happening at a place I'm interested in. For example, big craft brewed beer festival this weekend. Didn't know that was happening until I saw the tweet in my feed. Lots of stuff about the big music festival SXSW here in Austin, too.

Edited by iNow

It's a lot like a news feed for my friends and people whom I find educational (Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Bill Nye, etc.) and people who just say funny things, or others who point to events in my area or share information about something happening at a place I'm interested in.

Exactly what I've found. I didn't see the point of me joining twitter at first, but then I followed a few people that tweeted things I was interested in. Funny stuff at first (Steve Martin, Bronx Zoo's Cobra, Colbert) and later science and political, which I also tweet. If you don't find some twitter feed useful, just unfollow the person. I also use it to advertise blog posts to a possibly new audience, especially if someone retweets the link. Also bad puns.

I tend not to follow people who tend to use the medium as a substitute for texting, i.e. carrying on conversations.

The stuff I do ie fish collecting in various places, swamps, rivers, the ocean, growing and hybridizing cacti, aquarium husbandry, would seem to be interesting to a quite small number of people. About a half dozen i know of and none of them tweet... I might look into this, does a twitter account cost money? Can any phone tweet? my knowledge base on this is quite small...

The stuff I do ie fish collecting in various places, swamps, rivers, the ocean, growing and hybridizing cacti, aquarium husbandry, would seem to be interesting to a quite small number of people. About a half dozen i know of and none of them tweet... I might look into this, does a twitter account cost money? Can any phone tweet? my knowledge base on this is quite small...

Twitter is free, and there are smartphone apps. Or just use the browser and go to the website.

I always found the twitter irritating or distracting at best. Well, I do not feel that I really want to share random stuff. If I feel the urge to do so I prefer to write an email. I do share photos with some friends but that is about it. And I believe they are grateful for that, otherwise I would science them to It does not help that I am not really good at quick witty posts (I am looking at you swansont).

If I did twitter it would probably be something like

- sitting in darkness

- sitting in darkness

- wow, light! oh no, just security with flashlight

- why is the stuff not growing?

- why is the stuff growing?

etc.

If I did twitter it would probably be something like

- sitting in darkness

- sitting in darkness

- wow, light! oh no, just security with flashlight

- why is the stuff not growing?

- why is the stuff growing?

etc.

Reminds me of this:

hello_yes_this_is_ficus.png

I started a Twitter account to see how it is. So far, I'm uncertain how I feel. Plus side, following all the science related blogs and such instead of real friends I get links to a lot of interesting papers and news stories.

I wonder who here is an active twitter user. What's been your experience? Also, please consider PMing me your @username and I will share mine with you. I'm still a noob, though.

I am one. I did not tweet since Christmas, but I will start again in brief. My username is self-evident.