There goes the universe.

Arch2008

"It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out,"

This seems similar to what I had suspected and proposed here many years ago, that another big bang could happen at any time, and I am not an expert at science, just a "hunch".

From the link:

"This calculation tells you that many tens of billions of years from now, there'll be a catastrophe," Lykken says.

"A little bubble of what you might think of as an 'alternative' universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," says Lykken, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.

So somewhere off in the distant future there will be a big bang inside "our" universe, eventually expanding and wiping out our universe. Hmmm...doesn't that mean our universe is probably doing the same thing to a "parent" universe, too?

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/02/19/3693584.htm

Apparently, the mass of the Higgs Boson has determined the fate of the universe. Submitted for your discussion.

What I find particularly annoying about this is that the abc article has no real information, and since the symposia was just yesterday, the only thing posted on the AAAS website is a one paragraph generic intro.

Ever since inflation theory, there's been the hypothesis that the universe is still in a state of false vacuum. Should the false vacuum decay anywhere in the universe, it would be another BB, but this one would be a bubble propagating at light speed into our existing universe.

If this happens, then the oft asked question "What is the Big Bang expanding into" would have a meaningful answer.

Edited by ACG52

"It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out,..."

"This calculation tells you that many tens of billions of years from now, there'll be a catastrophe,...A little bubble of what you might think of as an 'alternative'

universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," says Lykken, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.

One issue what should be mentioned is what might be the state of the universe billions of years from now.

Some cosmologists have speculated that ultimately the accelerating expansion of the universe will rip apart all matter.

See the section in this article about "The Big Rip"

http://hubblesite.org/hubble_discoveries/dark_energy/de-fate_of_the_universe.php

So if a little bubble of an alternative universe appears and expands at the speed of light, it wouldn't seem to matter much if the space in OUR universe is already expanding at a speed many times that of the speed of light. Also, this alternative universe bubble can't wipe out our universe if our universe has already been wiped out by having all of its atoms ripped apart by the expansion of space!

I'm not entirely understanding how higg's mass has anything to do with the big bang. Higg's particles seem to be important, but I don't see how they cause a big bang or why it wouldn't happen right now instead of billions of years from now..

10s of billions of years from now seems like a pretty short time too, are higg's bosons gaining mass over time and eventually will gain enough mass to create a universe? Or...what?

Also, I notice cosmologists have not discovered a boundary for the universe. Even if there is a big bang, it could be a purely local phenomena in an infinitely sized plane of existence.

To me there does seem to be one solution though. NASA has claimed to begin developments for an actual "warp drive". So, if there was a way to do so, use the energy of the new big bang to create a warp bubble around w/e planet that will allow it to travel faster than light. As for getting resources, it would require very advanced technology thousands of years more advanced, the ability to transform the energy into resources that are usable by organic life on top of the whole warp drive thing.

Edited by SamBridge

If it turns out that our universe is but a sigularity existing within a black hole within some other universe, we will experience accererated growth patterns according to the extra universal black hole's feedings. The higgs mass gain should restableize within a few billion years along with the growth rate of universe. So, I would'nt read to much into it until we know for sure exactly what makes up our universes outer borders. For sure black holes make up some four dimensional inner borders that exists between time and no time within our own universe, via gravitational dialation.

If this is the scenerio, then the extra universal black hole might go with out feeding and as the extra universal black hole evaporates we might experience our universe shinking for a few billion years. It's all relative and everything becomes possible within the fractile patterns and algorythems of what we percieve as reality.

If it turns out that our universe is but a sigularity existing within a black hole within some other universe, we will experience accererated growth patterns according to the extra universal black hole's feedings. The higgs mass gain should restableize within a few billion years along with the growth rate of universe. So, I would'nt read to much into it until we know for sure exactly what makes up our universes outer borders. For sure black holes make up some four dimensional inner borders that exists between time and no time within our own universe, via gravitational dialation.

If this is the scenerio, then the extra universal black hole might go with out feeding and as the extra universal black hole evaporates we might experience our universe shinking for a few billion years. It's all relative and everything becomes possible within the fractile patterns and algorythems of what we percieve as reality.

That sounds like not-science.