Why can't gravity be an electromagnetic force?

seriously disabled

First of all, that site is a crackpot site, and I advise you not to take anything said there seriously. (As an aside, this is the second time I've seen you link to a blatant crackpot's page. Is there some reason you're reading nonsense like this?)

To answer your question, I can see how one might naively think that the two could be related. After all, they both follow an inverse-square law. Since the coupling constant in Coulomb's Law is so much larger than the constant in Newton's Law of Gravitation, you might be lead to believe that gravity is caused by some small residual charge that adds up due to positives and negatives not completely canceling. But this immediately runs into problems. Since Coulomb's Law is repulsive for like-charges the obvious conclusion is that, if gravity were caused by EM forces, then we'd expect to see everything repelled by everything else. After all, why would charges add up differently in the Earth and in the Moon? They're made of roughly the same stuff.

A better answer would be because the EM-field couples to a vector (rank-1 tensor) current, while gravity couples to a rank-2 tensor current. Newton's Law and Coulomb's Law are just static approximations of GR and EM. You can't get all of the effects in GR from a vector theory.

First of all, that site is a crackpot site, and I advise you not to take anything said there seriously. (As an aside, this is the second time I've seen you link to a blatant crackpot's page. Is there some reason you're reading nonsense like this?)

Maybe it's because 'curved space' appears more crackpot to the uninitiated than an electromagnetic explanation.

I recall a senior of mine whose teacher, who just teaches how to solve problems, told them that once they understands electomagnetism they can easily solve problems of gravitation by replacing k with g and charge with mass. That might have confused the thread starter. Being identical and being analogical pairs is different. You can solve heat current problems with the same law as that in case of electric current. The two are quite different things physically.

• 3 months later...

Because aside from some superficial similarities, gravity doesn't behave the way the electromagnetic interaction happens. End of story. Beyond that lies crackpottery.

I think you must be joking here. Of course gravity must be related to light and electromagnetism, otherwise we could not detect gravitating objects with our eyes.

I think you must be joking here. Of course gravity must be related to light and electromagnetism, otherwise we could not detect gravitating objects with our eyes.

Are you suggesting that if the Sun went dark, we'd be able to see the Moon due to its gravitational influence on us?

Do you think we can see gravity?

Are you suggesting that if the Sun went dark, we'd be able to see the Moon due to its gravitational influence on us?

But the sun won't go dark anytime soon. This is because it just cannot go dark so this scenario is impossible. The sun is just a very big spinning ball of plasma orbiting the galactic center.

What I'm trying to say is that in the universe everything is related to each other. The universe is in a lot of ways like the human body. The universe is one big organism where everything is related and causing each other.

Do you think we can see gravity?

Gravity is just the motion of matter so of course we can "see" this moving matter: we can see the moving matter with our eyes if it emits any light and if we can't see the moving matter with our own eyes then we can detect the motion of this dark matter with scientific instruments.

Edited by seriously disabled

No gravity is not motion of objects. I'm not sure where you've gotten such a ridiculous idea. This is so fundamentally wrong, that the only thing I can think to do is to refer you to wiki for some basic information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitation

Wikipedia is a just a work of art, it's not a reliable source for understanding reality.

Wikipedia is a just a work of art, it's not a reliable source for understanding reality.

Right, but it is a great place to start.

There are some similarities between gravity and electromagnetism, especially in the form of statics, though there are also similarities with dynamics and when one thinks geometrically. But, there are some very clear differences in their behaviour and formulation. These have been pointed out already.

Why is this nonsense still in the science section ? The link provided by the OP is a crackpot site, and the idea of "gravity is electromagnetism" is a well known crackpot concept which has been done to death countless times on countless crank forums.

This really shouldn't be in the main sections of the forum - at best this belongs in "Speculations".

Edited by Markus Hanke

Why is this nonsense still in the science section ? The link provided by the OP is a crackpot site, and the idea of "gravity is electromagnetism" is a well known crackpot concept which has been done to death countless times on countless crank forums.

This really shouldn't be in the main sections of the forum.

The opening question "Why can't gravity be an electromagnetic force or maybe something to do with the chemical interaction between atoms and molecules?" is reasonable, but it depends on what happens next... Edited by ajb

The opening question "Why can't gravity be an electromagnetic force or maybe something to do with the chemical interaction between atoms and molecules?" is reasonable, but it depends on happens next...

Indeed. Once the tone changes from a question to a claim, off to speculations it goes, which is where it is now residing.

But the sun won't go dark anytime soon. This is because it just cannot go dark so this scenario is impossible. The sun is just a very big spinning ball of plasma orbiting the galactic center.

If we find a dark body, the size of Earth, rushing past at 50 light years away, do you think it would be visible due to its gravity?

Is a black hole visible due to its gravity?

If you stand at the bottom of a well, and cover the entrance to block out light, can you see the bottom of the well due to Earth's gravity?

Why can't gravity be an electromagnetic force or maybe something to do with the chemical interaction between atoms and molecules?

http://www.bigbangneverhappened.org/

This is why.

You have two Iron Balls...never mind wooden ones which an EM Generated Force would not be able to move never mind accelerate...but two Iron Balls...one 1 kg and one 10 kg.

Now you set up two experiments...one of these has two vacuum tubes 96 feet tall standing upon the Earths surface from which you will drop the 1 kg iron ball in one and the 10 kg iron ball in the other.

The other experiment is in Intergalactic Space with no real gravity issues interfering with it. Two Electromagnetic Plates that have catch mechanisms for the balls are at 10 km. distance from each other and 96 feet away from these two plates are the 1 and 10 kg iron balls.

The EM Plates can be turned on and generate the necessary EM attractive force to pull both the 1 kg and 10 kg. balls to each at 32 feet per second squared...the same acceleration that will occur when the the two iron balls on earth in the vacuum tubes are dropped.

Now the the two balls on Earth are dropped and the two balls in space are accelerated all at 32 feet per second squared.

Here is the thing...in order for both the 1 kg and 10 kg iron balls to accelerate at 32 feet per second squared...there must be 10 times as much EM Attractive Force generated from the plate that attracts the 10 kg iron ball to achieve this acceleration rate compared with just 1 tenth of that force required to achieve this rate of acceleration for the 1 kg iron ball.

The 1 kg and 10 kg iron balls on Earth accelerate at the same rate and hit the ground in 2 seconds.

The 1 kg and 10 kg iron balls being attracted by 1F and 10F...F=Force...of EM Generated Force respectively and they both are caught by the catch mechanism when they contact the EM plates in 2 seconds.

Here is another thing...the balls on Earth weigh 1 and 10 kg at a state of rest upon the Earth.

The same two balls held to the EM Plates one released by the mechanism that prevents bounce off...will be attracted to the plates at a Force relative to many more KG's of weight than just 1 and 10 kg's. Thus the 1 kg iron ball if lifted from the plate will feel like lifting away 20 kg's. The 10 kg iron ball when lifted off the EM Plate will feel like lifting over 100 kg's.

Gravity IS NOT A FORCE...it is an EFFECT.

Link from MIT TECH REVIEW....http://www.technologyreview.com/view/425220/experiments-show-gravity-is-not-an-emergent-phenomenon/

Split Infinity

Ahem...

Why can't gravity be an electromagnetic force(?)

Wonders if it may be a form of EM.

...or maybe something to do with the chemical interaction between atoms and molecules?

Wonders if it might be a chemical change.

Of course gravity must be related to light and electromagnetism...

Now claims that it must be EM.

Gravity is just the motion of matter...

Then claims it is the motion of matter.

Any sincere user, whether they're inquiring or asserting, can at least hold a coherent viewpoint. I honestly wonder if this is a troll.