What's a good programming language to learn if your only 13?

Lee360TheCoder

Hey everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this topic. I really do appreciate it. But as the topic says. What is a good programming language to learn, I kinda know Java and a little bit of Python. I know HTML and CSS are not programming languages but I know them pretty good. Thanks and bless your faces! wink.png

Arguably, it is the programmer that matters rather than the programming language. Just do things that you like with what you already know. Learn new things if you can't do the things you like with the things you know.

If you want to make some better use of your HTML and CSS, go try out PHP.

Hey everyone! Thanks for taking the time to read this topic. I really do appreciate it. But as the topic says. What is a good programming language to learn, I kinda know Java and a little bit of Python. I know HTML and CSS are not programming languages but I know them pretty good. Thanks and bless your faces! wink.png

C++ is the language I see employers ask for. Visual basic is another common one.

I guess at 13 you want something with a free complier and lots of code freely available for you to modify. As you have already discovered, Python is good on that front.

As an aside, my programming skills suck, so please don't ask me for help!

If you know HTML and CSS which are mainly used for the front end GUI then you should start learning about the coding at the back end, so learning SQL will be a good idea and also you can learn about Javascript and xml.

Here's a good website where you can begin with: W3Schools.com

But I would advice you to start learning either C or C++.

• 2 weeks later...

If you become serious about web development (front and back-end), you'll want to focus on HTML 5 and PHP (as previously mentioned), as well as some JavaScript (just enough to do what you want your applications to do). PHP's syntax is neat.

For testing out PHP (or other web programming languages, with Perl and Python remaining popular), it may be convenient for you to set up a local server. Consult the XMPP website for the most convenient solution. It's a configured server setup in a box.

NB that I can vouch for immortal's recommendation of W3Schools.

Edited by Kwerty

Questions like these can only be answered with "what do you want to do?"

If you want to design computer applications, continuing Java or learning C++ is a good start. If you want to do modeling, there's languages for that, too (I don't know any off my head but I think Python is one).

My only suggestion is to pick a language that will allow you to do most everything you want and hammer away at it. Do a project each week, or try to figure out someone's code. Dive right in. I found that really knowing one language was enough and made learning other languages very easy. Ifs, and whiles, and for loops all pretty much do the same thing in every language. Just the syntax might be different.

If you learn the meat-and-potatoes of programming -- the stuff that is in mostly every language -- then all that's left to learn in regard to other languages is language-specific stuff. For example, say you're a master of C++ but for a class or work you need to switch to Java. You know Object Oriented programming, so all you'll need to learn is the Java-specific classes, methods, and stuff like that.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...