Chemical Composition of Common Materials

noz92

What if people said more what the molecular formulas actually mean in English - that would be nice. :) (Of course, only in cases where the compound actually has a shorter/simplier everyday name)

One might argue that if it doesn't have a short name it isn't a common/everyday molecule. (common meaning common for the average person, not common for a chemist)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"One might argue that if it doesn't have a short name it isn't a common/everyday molecule. (common meaning common for the average person, not common for a chemist)"

Yeah, for example some chemicals in the body are "used everyday", but they don't really have a shorter name.

"malic and formic acid?"

Hmmh? People use formic acid daily/commonly? Btw, malic acid is C4H6O5.

EW = certain forum? If so, let's leave them run around in their own little circles shall we. :)

Btw, if we're talking about common materials that are HANDLED commonly, I'd say nickel or zinc are good examples as they're found in many coins. :))

• 2 weeks later...

theres less astatine...or at least thats what they want me to think. actually come to think of it i just made a kilo of it by instantaneous alpha bombardment of finely dusted uranium intimately mixed with finely dusted bismuth...actually no, but thats a good way to multiply the amount of an element tenfold quickly

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...
theres less astatine...or at least thats what they want me to think. actually come to think of it i just made a kilo of it by instantaneous alpha bombardment of finely dusted uranium intimately mixed with finely dusted bismuth...actually no, but thats a good way to multiply the amount of an element tenfold quickly

Uranium dust is possible? I thought it was pyrophoric...

1-methyl-2,4,6-trinitrobenzene; 2,4,6-Trinitrotoluene; 2-methyl-1,3,5-trinitrobenzene; alpha-trinitrotoluol; entsufon; methyltrinitrobenzene; s-trinitrotoluene; s-trinitrotoluol; sym-trinitrotoluene; sym-trinitrotoluol; TNT; tolite; trilit; Trinitrotoluene; Trinitrotoluene, 2,4,6- ; trinitrotoluol; trotyl;

you forgot: 2,4,6 trinitro methylbenzene :P