Meteorite fall in Chelyabinsk!

muncha

Today registered a decline metiarita! Flash seen for 300 miles! Does not work mobile. There are wounded from cuts of broken glass! The evening will fly folder, NASA will be broadcast live!

Here is video:

Edited by muncha

400 injured according to beeb, mostly flying glass - I think it had broken up before it impacted, and the area is sparsely populated where most of the debris fell. Although there are pictures of residential tower blocks with blown out windows. Lucky no one was killed.

Wondering how quickly this event will get political. The far righty are always accusing the scientific community of sensationalism. They want to defund Nasa because they have provided evidence which supports agw which is inconvenient to their political dogma.

So in a very short period of time two objects have provided ample evidence as to why agencies like NASA should exist, and why, if anything, they deserve more research dollars. So while the political right like to mock scientific community for having "the sky is falling" attitude when it comes to issues like agw, we have a clear case for why scientific research is important for the future of humanity. But to our advantage, this time we can all agree that the sky is indeed falling.

Edited by akh

Yep, it's big news as of now. Don't have cable this week, but I can tell since it's #1 on Google and Yahoo! News.

Here's an article: Meteorite Hits Russia, Causing Panic

Interesting how this paper says it injured around a thousand people, while the previous articles only balled about 400. Either more detailed reports of injuries are coming out or some news sources just want the attention.

Interesting how this paper says it injured around a thousand people, while the previous articles only balled about 400. Either more detailed reports of injuries are coming out or some news sources just want the attention.

Injury counts seems to have gone up. The same sources that reported on 400 injured earlier today, now talk about around 1,000. Though, of course, I'd guess it's partly media sensationalism.

Edit:

Cracked has gathered 5 of the videos from the event. I especially like the last one. No flashy stuff, but the aftermath is really cool.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/5-meteor-videos-that-prove-russians-dont-give-f2340k/

Edited by pwagen

Interesting we get two meteors so close together both rare events.

I see the scientists say the events are unrelated, although one Russia one said they could be related.

Occums Razor (simplest ttheory) says they are related.

The reason the scientist suggested they were unrelated is one hit on the other side from which the bigger

one came from. However they didn't pick up the small one untill it was seen visualy and I have some calculation

which show it could easliiy have came from the same side and complete a near half orbit before impacting.

You certainly could not rule it out anyway, the initilal trajectory matter a bit but we will never really know that

as it was not picked up untill late.

So seems to me the are part of the same 'event', and it seems to me there could well be more smaller meterors

in the 'series' indeed possibly bigger ones further away!!

Edited by esbo

Chelyabinsk - a big city with a population of over one million. First, people saw the flash and went to the window. After a few minutes of the blast knocked the glass. Therefore, many were cut broken windows.

Yes. curiosity killed the cat.

it is noticeable on the videos that the blast smashed the windows, not especially debris from the asteroid.

Is this Dark Matter?

The meteor that hit Russia yesterday appeared to explode sending out a massive arc of white light. It appeared to be lighting up the air around it progressively and in increasing phases until the air around it was completely white. Conversely, the colour of buildings appear almost unaltered. This suggests that extreme energy such as that witnessed yesterday from the meteor hitting our atmosphere could turn dark matter momentarily luminous or cause dark matter to react in a manner to make it visible. It certainly seemed that "everything" within this arc was lit up.

Could this mean that dark matter is free moving (water, air) rather than solid objects and if so that Dark matter plays a part in the density of the subject, so more dark matter - air, some - liquids, little - stone etc.

I guess I am as far away from the truth as D14 from Cornwall but its worth a punt..

G

Why did an explosion (the blast) occur before the asteroid hit the ground?

------------------

i remember in the army in the 80's we were given instructions for protection against blasts after (nuclear) flash. Similar to "duck and cover". Immediately after a flash you had to lie down to the floor in the direction the flash was coming, head first, legs stretched, arms over your head (IIRC), in a position that opposed less possible resistance to the blast. Also because you have a few seconds between the flash and the blast.

Edited by michel123456

Why did an explosion (the blast) occur before the asteroid hit the ground?

Meteors compress the air in front of them and that generates a great deal of heat. I forget what they call it, but this can cause them to burst before they hit the ground.

Meteors compress the air in front of them and that generates a great deal of heat. I forget what they call it, but this can cause them to burst before they hit the ground.

the metorite explodes due to overheating?

Why not smelting?

Or is it something with the compressed gases in the atmosphere?

It is called a bolide, but as far as I'm aware this event was not a bolide - the meteorite did not explode during descent, rather it fragmented and vapourised (hence the vapour trails) with only a few fragments reaching the ground. The "explosion" itself was the shockwave caused by the meteorite breaking the sound barrier as it entered the Earth's atmosphere; note that the shockwave was also due to the loss in kinetic energy of the rock as it entered our atmosphere, it was moving at some 8km/s before entering and slowed right down upon entry, that energy loss has to go somewhere.

NB - An example of a Bolide event would the Tunguska Event in 1908, which was several orders of magnitude more powerful than this event. Also, note that the term "bolide" has many definitions - astronomers tend to use it to describe a magnitude -14 or greater event which explodes mid-air.

Edited by x(x-y)

It is called a bolide, but as far as I'm aware this event was not a bolide - the meteorite did not explode during descent, rather it fragmented and vapourised (hence the vapour trails) with only a few fragments reaching the ground. The "explosion" itself was the shockwave caused by the meteorite breaking the sound barrier as it entered the Earth's atmosphere; note that the shockwave was also due to the loss in kinetic energy of the rock as it entered our atmosphere, it was moving at some 8km/s before entering and slowed right down upon entry, that energy loss has to go somewhere.

NB - An example of a Bolide event would the Tunguska Event in 1908, which was several orders of magnitude more powerful than this event. Also, note that the term "bolide" has many definitions - astronomers tend to use it to describe a magnitude -14 or greater event which explodes mid-air.

on the videos there is clearly a 'flash" event suggesting an explosion, not only a schockwave from the meteorite breaking the sound barrier.

At 0:19 in the OP video

An air burst as mentioned in the wiki article. Why? What is that causes an air burst in an asteroid?

On 15 February 2013, a small asteroid entered Earth's atmosphere over Russia at approximately 09:25 YEKT (03:25 UTC), becoming a fireball.[2][3][4] Moving at a speed of 15 km/s to 18 km/s (34000 mph to 40000 mph),[5][6][7] it passed over the southern Ural region and exploded over Chelyabinsk Oblast.[n 1] The object's air burst occurred at an altitude between 15 and 25 km (9.3 and 16 mi) above the ground.[9][2] The energy released was equivalent to nearly 500 kilotons of TNT,[10][1][2] which would make it 20–30 times more powerful than the atomic bombs detonated at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.[1][2][11][10]

Being significantly smaller than objects that are tracked through

current efforts by space object scientists, the meteor was not detected

before atmospheric entry.[12]

Edited by michel123456

What is that causes an air burst in an asteroid?

Think of a gas canister in a fire. Whatever is inside it is heated up more and more until the canister itself can't withstand the pressure, then it explodes. I'd imagine it's the same case with a meteorite. Whatever is inside of it is heated up by its descent through the atmosphere, then internal pressure cracks it open.

Think of a gas canister in a fire. Whatever is inside it is heated up more and more until the canister itself can't withstand the pressure, then it explodes. I'd imagine it's the same case with a meteorite. Whatever is inside of it is heated up by its descent through the atmosphere, then internal pressure cracks it open.

But heat comes from the outside and the meteorite is supposed to be solid rock. It is not full of kerozene.

But heat comes from the outside and the meteorite is supposed to be solid rock. It is not full of kerozene.

Even if they're mostly metal or rock, there is still a chance of pockets of ice or frozen gas within. The heat from friction builds up enough pressure to cause an explosion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.