Higg's Discovered

SamBridge

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/blog/2012/07/thanks-mom/

All that effort and I still can't say what "mass" actually is, I thought higg's bosons were suppose to explain what mass was because their coupling caused it in other particles, they have imaginary mass on their own which can be shown in decay processes with W bosons, so I suppose some kind of complex conjugate interaction would sort of explain it, but not really. Not only that but it seems that because of the properties of higg's particles that they have limited range properties individual but form some kind of medium. What type of interaction allows them to be held together to create a single field?

Besides all that though I'd say "cool, finally".

Edited by SamBridge

• 4 weeks later...

Some news about the “Higgs-like” particle discovered at CERN last year. That particle may indeed be a Higgs boson.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23265-mystery-boson-earns-higgs-status-thanks-to-w-particle.html

Nonetheless, as pointed out in the article, it is only a Higgs boson, not the Higgs boson.

So, can be there more than one Higgs boson? If so, what’s the difference between different Higgs bosons? huh.png

Edited by Nehushtan

So, can be there more than one Higgs boson?

Yes.

If so, what’s the difference between different Higgs bosons? huh.png

In the Standard Model, the Higgs Boson originates from adding extra field content (think of "particles", if you don't understand "field") with interaction with other particles and interactions with itself to the model. This causes the emergence of a single new particle, the Higgs Boson, as well as effective masses for all the particles it interacts with.

In principle, one can add even more extra fields. In fact, in popular extensions of the Standard Model this is required (but no direct experimental evidence for these models exists). This gives rise to even more Higgs Bosons. They primarily differ from the Higgs Boson (which then is often called the "Standard Model like Higgs Boson") in mass and couplings to the other particles. More dramatic differences to Higgs Bosons are also possible in priniciple (parity, spin, electric charge).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.