what first sparked your interest in science?

blike

Science Fiction shows. Starting with Star Trek and now Stargate and the 4400. Star Trek was my first love and now that its gone I dont know how to live anymore. LOL. JK. I think if they start a new Trek series in about 20-40 years when theres been some major advances in science it will intrigue audiences again.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I grew up in a house that had a lake in the back yard, so I was curious about the enviroment and wildlife. I guess that fueled my interest in biology and when my parents bought me a microscope, I guess I was hooked!!

I spent many days of my summers looking at pond water under my microscope. Once, i took a fish (a very small one) and placed it's fin under my microscope. I was able to see the blood cells flowing through its vacular system!!!!

Well, that fondness with microscopes and biology eventually took me to graduate school where I had the opporunity to play with microscopes that worked with lasers!! (confocal, dual photon)

Then..in my post-doctoral studies, I used a microscope that allowed me to visualize synapses in the brain! (transmission electron scanning).

So, my little summer microscope adventures..turned into a big part of my life!!

• 3 weeks later...

well first i began taking interest in animals like the orca (always been my number one favourite animal), reptiles and most important of all:PLANTS, when i was about 7 and also got me into biology. then in the 8th grade i began take a huge liking for chemistry because thats when here in Sweden you begin to study it. Today (16 years old, will be 17 next week, in the 1st year of the "Gymnasium" which is the equivalent to high school) my favorite category of science is organic chemistry, especially in plants, beautiful organisms and very interesting when it comes to their chemical processes, a huge source of inspiration in todays chemistry. Especially interesting is their secondary metabolites, plants are truly masters of chemical warfare. Sp beauty of plants got me into it. Now im interested about them in the chemical level, but as then when they sparked my interest in science, they still are as beautiful (or even more) to watch upon today.