what first sparked your interest in science?

blike

Blike Sucks: youre a very funny guy!

Maybee you would have a little more credability with a proper nick? hmmm?

I would looooooove to see you back up those statements you just made there.

PS: I don't think a man of your age would be speaking like that. Clan up your act.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Sxy_Nerdette

OK, unlike most of the people here, I have not always known I wanted to be a scientist! I did read books about planets and various other science books as a kid, but I've always had quite a diverse interest in things! I turned becoming a scientist into my dream when I was about 14, but now I am quite seriously considering going into medicine - thanx to my more altruistic side! :D

I realised that science was my true love when I realised how easily it came to me! We barely did any in primary school, and I was generally the top of the class for everything back then ... it was only when I realised that in science I was also the top in a very good high school, and I realised how truely interesting it is, that I developed my love for the subject!

I think of myself as more of a general scientist, as I have equal interest in biology, chemistry and physics (OK that's a bit of a lie, but I am interested in them in different ways so it all balances out!!)

Hehe that's enough for me to write, but oh btw, in response to the very first post here: "THE ELEGANT UNIVERSE" ROCKS!!!

Luv Ms.Nerdette (yes I'm a girl :P )

i always thought i'd be into computers as im good at them (very good if i may say so myself ;)!), then i started advancing through school and reading A LOT of stuff here and reading up elsewhere and now, although i find physics harder than computers i find it more of a challenge and more interesting.

i spose its part of my charachter that makes me go for the 'challenge and interest' opposed to the easier thing... needless to say i use computers and help others, just physics seems to be what im heading for as i grow older.

as for maths, to be honest i dont really LIKE maths, at the same time it is not too hard and is needed, logical and useful, therefore im a bit into maths too!

physics, computers (and maths go with it) is me.

"Best thing to do in highschool is just completely ignore the class and study more advanced things all period. Generally teachers won't care, as long as you're acing all the tests."

Can we have an amen to that? :)

Amen brotha'!~

well, actually, I would love to study more advanced things, however, the teachers around here dont like anything but themselves. They tend to believe that their's is the only class that really matters, and thus, they'll be the only ones giving homework for that night...hmmmm

Becuase of the teaching ego, we are forced into a curriculum...say, science...while we are totally advanced from the rest of the class in something like microbiology, when we are forced to learn something like...geology! Dont get me wrong...I love all types of sciences, however, since I am not profoundly interested in geology, I tended to not be all too interested.

What i suggest is making a highschool system for all those kids who KNOW what they're good at, and know that they can make a living at it...say microbiology...and then have courses based around that (almost like college)

I know its rather radical, but whatever...a kid can dream :D

well ill give that an amen if it includes burning whatever is on the teachers desk in Chemistry.

anyway in answer to your FIRST question i guess it would be the tours ive been on round sizewell A & B nuclear powerstations, anyone been there?

bill nigh the science guy. jk

i don't really know. i have always been interested in space/time.most kids want to be an astronaut at some time in their lifetime, but i never grew out of it. i would also like to do some work in theoretical physics.

Got interested in science at a very early age. I was always facinated about how stuff worked. I was criticized as being autistic, but they can go shove it cus I'm too cool to be autistic. lol that made no sense at all. Anywhoo, I can also vouch for Bill Nye, he RULED! I got interested in forensic science by doing research on the John List case. I then became obsessed with forensic science, and it added to my infatuation with death. I used to be gothic, but grew out of it because people are too freaking depressed. Yes I still listen to the music and dress in black, only cus i look damn fine in it. Oh yeah, and I don't watch CSI, i get that question from EVERYBODY. I prefer the non-dramatized "The New Detectives: Case studies in Forensic science" as well as Forensic files, the entire "Autopsy" series, as well as old classics like Trauma Life & Death in the ER.

• 3 weeks later...

My interest in science developed by the question:

Is there any process that can vary an invariant?

Later, I found that the entire enterprize of science, philosophy and religion are based on the answer to this question. No process can vary an invariant. This is the only statement that summarized all my experience as a student, as politician, as representative, as a father, as a son, as a scientist and as a teacher.

You can also try to devise the methods and identification of invariants in life - it will give you every science you are yet to learn.

She was 42 when I was born, but she was so interested in everything. She particularly loved animals, and whenever anything was orphaned or hurt, she rescued it.

Lot's of the other parent's wouldn't let baby wild things in their homes, but mom did, and pretty soon all the neighborhood kids were bringing critters to our house. My mom would always say, "Well, it may well die, because it is so tiny and hurt, but we have to give it a run for its money."

We raised baby rabbits on pablum, baby birds on hard boiled eggs and canned dog food, & baby kittens whose eyes were not open, but whose mom had been run over.

As I got older, my dad contributed too - he was building parts for space research for NASA Langley Research center.

When I went to high school, I had a wonderful teacher for Advanced Biology. Her name was Hilda Ramer, and she didn't go to college until her own children were out of school. She didn't believe it was important to memorize everything, but to know where to find the answers. I went to college with the intention of majoring in biology, but my dad's health was failing and he convinced me to come into the family machine shop business instead.

Although I always watched the science shows on TV, I didn't really become involved with science again until 1996. That was when we got internet access and I found a science forum, much like this one called, "the Why Files". There was a geologist there, and I asked him about the Chesapeake Bay Impact Crater (over which I live). I became fascinated with Geology, and learned a lot about that too.

Long story - but then, I've been around awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont remember ever having a spark. As far as I can remember I have always had the interest.

same here, but found out that my Mother and Grandfather were just as interested, and so I never lacked encouragement and resources, albeit humble resources, what we didn`t have we made or learned how to make.

I also grew up hearing quite a few horrific war stories of survival and the methods used.

now it`s just an integral part of my mentality and makeup.

I'm just nosey and want to know/understand how everything works. Shame I'm too thick to figure it all out, it drives me nuts.

you`ve just defined a good 98% of all Scientists out there!

Nobody has it ALL figured it.

the other 2% are liars :))

Im not really sure how to explain so that everyone could understand clearly, but my everyday life is almost unmotiviating...(Im struggling for words) Theres just a lack of resources, time, and basic understanding of things for me to be able to learn and discover what I want to. Ill be graduating in May at the top of my class, I scored a 35 on my ACT and a 1490 on SAT. Im telling you that because even with above average achievements in high school I can come to a place like here, and feel so inferior because I dont understand some things your talking about, or some words you use.

yeah... we're the same....xept that am stil in high school.....but what really sparked my interest in science one my "almost" girlfriend.... she was very intelligent and i decided ot beat her in every subject (year 7) I did succed in beating ber grades for like 2 years, xept history where i really suck, but i had to go oversees from the phils to aust so i didn't have the chance to ask her out......but stil am very thankful because if it wasn't for her i would never be as "smart" and as interested in science like i am today :D