what first sparked your interest in science?

blike

I think my earliest dabblings in science came from my fascination with space and flight. My parents bought me a book on the solar system when I was quite young, and this sparked my interest in astronomy. I was big into astronomy for years, but during my highschool years I started reading about the physics of the universe. My junior year(4 years ago) I picked up a copy of "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and this really interested me. In college my interests turned to biology and medicine, my future career ;)

(anyone know how to properly clean telescope mirrors without damaging them? I'd like to use the scope again, but the mirror is horrendously dusty)

Picture of me with my telescope when I was around 10 or 11:

scope.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've just always wanted to know how things work. Space has fascinated me--especially the origins of it--since four or five years old, probably because I didn't keep the religious explanations offered (goddidit). It just grew from there, and now i'm in love with science. :)

hmm, i guess it was when i was 3 or 4. i had a book called "the planets" and remember reading it from front to cover about 40 times. after that, i studied a lot of science and maths. then i kinda got more interested in the mathematical side of it when i went into secondary education, and got hooked on the maths side of it when my teacher showed me some basic calculus when i was 14. having said that, i still do a lot of physics and mechanics and like the modules we do on stuff like the doppler effect, wave theories, etc.

I discovered science as a child of about 3 or 4. It was not enforced in my working class home.

The second time I discovered it, I was in my next to last year at seminary. I had done a translation of an old text, and found it had been distorted beyond recognition. I have been a science student ever since.

Bill

PS: soapy water, warm, run it over the prmary (you will have to remove the rear cell first). then let air dry. For the general dust and sich, I keep my scopes "stowed" with opening down. You can then direct a burst of compressed air to dislodege the dust. Worst case...the primary to replace that scope is cheap, and far better than was available when it was new.

My mother, who was a midwife, had a book called 'The Miracle of Life'. It was a really old book on Natural History. I remember it had a blue, cloth-bound hard cover with only black and white images and it smelled funny (nice, the way old books do). Before I could read (according to her) I was fascinated by all the pictures. As I learned to read, I began finding out what all the pictures meant so I'd go over the book again and again as my reading improved. Then I discovered the Natural History Museum (London). This almost became my second home and my parents would took me to visit it every sunday until we had covered every inch of it. It is still my favourite bulding as it happens, both for architecture (beautiful!) and content. So, if I had to state the one thing that sparked my interest in science, it would have to be 'The Miracle of Life'.

I have always been interested in everything, and was known for asking questions about anything and everything... rainbows, generators, the lot... I have constantly had a craving for knowledge. Science I guess comes from watching the Open university when I was about 2 or 3.

hmm...

well, ever since I was tiny I wanted to know more about everything, and anything about everything and just basically wanted more knowledge into my little cranium..up until 6 grade I wanted to be a scientist of some sort, then it turned to chemist, then astronomer and now finally game designer....either that or a chemist...or maybe a network engineer...not sure anymore:D

As far as I can remember I don't recall wanting to be anything other than a scientist. A lot of movies sparked my interest, like "The Island of Dr. Moreau" and "Jurassic Park". Also I read a lot of science fiction, I remember in the third grade I read a few books based on the DOOM (computer game) series, Lol its funny cause thats all I remember about the third grade.

Watching Alein shows like Sightings on T.V. sparked my interest in the unknown. Then in school discovered space and crazy thoughts like X amount of Earths fitting into the Sun.

I have always been interested in things that are around us only we can not see these things with our naked eyes.

I guess it began for me with science fiction tv shows. Then playing with toys afterwards I used to try to immagine and explain all the parts of the toy if it was a spacecraft ("this is the lazer" for example)... then came an addiction to Discovery/TLC channels which I watched cronically since I was 12. Ultimately I figured I was in for the lang haul in the area of physics when I saw a mind bogling episode of Big Thinkers (an excellent TechTV program) featuring Dr. Michio Kaku. Which happened just 4 months ago, since when I have discovered places like this and have begun reading non-fiction materials.

Chuldhood museums and a very "saucy" mouth. Learning the OT as a child when I was 8 I asked "why would god do that?" and "this makes no sense, why would all those people believe an old dude with a species of snake I already know turns to a cane when afraid?"

The teacher would often yell at me, saying that because god loves us and is all powerfull. Also, that every man would believe the true word of god....I would then say "But not everybody is a jew!?"

Then I understood that this is :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: and that people create gods out of fear of death. Then I saw things that made sense in science, so I got drawn to it.

Like all scientists, I've always had an inquisitive mind, but was never satisfied with answers I got. So for some reason I had to motivation to go and find out on my own, which led me into discovering how fascinating things like neuroscience and cosmology are.

Originally posted by Skye

As a sly justification for my sadistic behaviour towards bugs: "I'm just trying to see if snails can live without their shells."

eek7.gif

So can they? hehe

They function fine in the short term, the shell has little to do with locomotion or anything like that. They would suffer from dessication (drying out) though, and would probably die during a hot day.

Another thing is that their bodies are coiled like their shells. I raised the point that they should be considered bilaterally symmetrical along a helix at a recent zoology prac. Anyone know whether this is agreed or dissagreed with?

I dont really have a specific interest in science. I do have a great interest in learning though. My problem is my enviorment. Im not really sure how to explain so that everyone could understand clearly, but my everyday life is almost unmotiviating...(Im struggling for words) Theres just a lack of resources, time, and basic understanding of things for me to be able to learn and discover what I want to. Ill be graduating in May at the top of my class, I scored a 35 on my ACT and a 1490 on SAT. Im telling you that because even with above average achievements in high school I can come to a place like here, and feel so inferior because I dont understand some things your talking about, or some words you use. Teachers cant explain and between work and school I dont have time to go and research, learn, and return with an opinion that I want so badly to offer. I feel like my accomplishments...arent.

...anyways I guess my interest in science comes from my interest in bettering myself (knowledge is absolute power in my opinion), which Ive held for as long as I can remember.

i guess you could say..i could not stand not knowing...ya sounds simple enough but its pretty intense when you enter my mind and read a little more into that statement...it all started when i was around 6-8 i used to visit my grandpa who lived in the borrego desert , which for those of you who know about it is a pretty decent place to stare off into space for hours on end without looking at the same thing twice. since then my mind has expanded from the ignorance of saying to myself "what do you call that bright little spot right there grandpa?" to "how did it all begin?" and "If the big bang theory is true...where did the dust and gas and time and space of it come from?" to even questions i can't even barely render the slightest explanation for...such as a higher being... i really started getting into it in my early years in high school and have realized that this is it...this is what i HAVE to do with my life and there is no question about it...i recieved my first telescope from my mom which was great at studying the moon but nothing more...this means a lot to me that as crazy as it sounded...her little girl wanting to explain unimaginable things...that she supported me all the way without hesitation...i choose to pursue a career in this field to prove not only something to myself but also as a symbol to my love for her as she passed away about a 1 and a half ago

P.S SORRY ABOUT THIS BECOMING A BIOGRAPHY ;)

Blike, im somewhat of an astronemer myself. I was on APollo 11. You see ive been to space and have explored it. And I am here today to disclose some secrets to you. First of all you must understand that the original missions were not to explore the moon, nor to find out more about space. No No, At that time they were strickly designed to spy on the rest of the world. During this time we were assigned to pay special attention to influences of the future, Saddam Hussein, and John Venz in particular. The Former, was obviously a disaster, as is evident in the situation today. The Latter however may not be too familiar to you all. You see during the time there was this kid, who had a fasination about telescopes. Superficially he just wanted to see space, but with the technology we had developed we were able to look deep into his mind and find out his true motives that would eventually emerge. He had an objective too rally and unite a group of people. He was to use the technology in the astronimy field to help him attain this goal. To this extent we were succesful in containing him, because if you ask him a question today, he wont even be able to tell you how to clean a telescope lense.(refer to original post.) However he did manage to create a website of deciet and misconception. TOday it is known as "Science Forums.net", THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!! I URGE YOU ALL TO LEAVE, i would have a better ending but im really tired and im sure you all stopped caring after the first 2 sentences

:zzz:

Originally posted by Blike Suckz

Blike, im somewhat of an astronemer myself. I was on APollo 11. You see ive been to space and have explored it. And I am here today to disclose some secrets to you. First of all you must understand that the original missions were not to explore the moon, nor to find out more about space. No No, At that time they were strickly designed to spy on the rest of the world. During this time we were assigned to pay special attention to influences of the future, Saddam Hussein, and John Venz in particular. The Former, was obviously a disaster, as is evident in the situation today. The Latter however may not be too familiar to you all. You see during the time there was this kid, who had a fasination about telescopes. Superficially he just wanted to see space, but with the technology we had developed we were able to look deep into his mind and find out his true motives that would eventually emerge. He had an objective too rally and unite a group of people. He was to use the technology in the astronimy field to help him attain this goal. To this extent we were succesful in containing him, because if you ask him a question today, he wont even be able to tell you how to clean a telescope lense.(refer to original post.) However he did manage to create a website of deciet and misconception. TOday it is known as "Science Forums.net", THIS WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!! I URGE YOU ALL TO LEAVE, i would have a better ending but im really tired and im sure you all stopped caring after the first 2 sentences

:zzz:

whoa...uhh..i'm really confused...like more confused then i've been about anything in the universe...literally..haha what was that all about?:feedback:

I'm just confused as to how they missed the Spice Girls.

Though, back on topic, I was talking to my mother today and she said my dad used to read his biochem textbook to me when I was a baby as a combination of studying/shutting me up. So damn I started early:-p