Article on Theoretical Physics

Alright, we'll I'm supposed to be writing an article for my high-school newsletter. Being a lowly novice of physics, I thought I'd right one on the Alcubierre warp drive. Any tips on how to really dumb the physics down? Should I really mention positronium, or any other exotic matter? What about a Miguel Inferormeter and how it curves space-time by its appearance in energized states?

If it is for a high school newsletter than I suggest you talk about general relativity rather loosely and quite informally working up to the possibility of warp drive. You could skip the need for a detailed account of exotic matter in my opinion, basically the idea is that you need negative energy.

The readers will appreciate analogies and diagrams where possible.

If it is for a high school newsletter than I suggest you talk about general relativity rather loosely and quite informally working up to the possibility of warp drive. You could skip the need for a detailed account of exotic matter in my opinion, basically the idea is that you need negative energy.

The readers will appreciate analogies and diagrams where possible.

General Relativity? Alright, I'll give it a go on my second paper. Yet that seems to be at tie with the Great Attractor... Nonetheless, I will have to watch some lectures to familiarize myself with that. I humbly thank you for your kind advice. Yet, I have another question. Would I be able to understand General Relativity? I mean I'm proficient enough in Highschool Calculus and Classical Mechanics...

General Relativity? Alright, I'll give it a go on my second paper. Yet that seems to be at tie with the Great Attractor... Nonetheless, I will have to watch some lectures to familiarize myself with that. I humbly thank you for your kind advice. Yet, I have another question. Would I be able to understand General Relativity? I mean I'm proficient enough in Highschool Calculus and Classical Mechanics...

You'd need at minimum some experience with Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Special Relativity. After that Bernard Schutz's intro GR textbook is probably your best bet.

Edited by elfmotat

General Relativity? Alright, I'll give it a go on my second paper. Yet that seems to be at tie with the Great Attractor...

Warp drives, wormholes and so on require a little general relativity. Really no more than the statement that space-time can have non-trivial geometry. Well, for wormholes, a little topology is useful.

Nonetheless, I will have to watch some lectures to familiarize myself with that. I humbly thank you for your kind advice. Yet, I have another question. Would I be able to understand General Relativity? I mean I'm proficient enough in Highschool Calculus and Classical Mechanics...

You should be able to get across the basic "feeling" of general relativity and from there discuss warp drives.

Think all in 2d. A metric is a "generalisation" of Pythagoras' theorem and curvature can be demonstrated using parallel transport of vectors on a sphere.

GR then says

"matter content" = "local geometry"

This opens up your warp drives, wormholes, time travel and so on...