What exactly is the connection between conscious and autosomatic thinking?

So I thought I had remembered that you are not suppose to be able to control certain things in your body at will, two of which were suppose to be hormones and your heart. I have repeatedly measured that I was able to at will feel the effects of adrenaline without being angered, which I assume is caused by the release of adrenaline in the blood stream. The second is that I was able to repeatedly and measurable slow my heart rate down at will from around 120 beats per minute to 70 bears per minute in less than 3 seconds when I at will concentrated on doing so which not only do I measure with recording the heart rate but also feeling the effects of oxygen depletion on my muscles. It seems as though there are many other people who I have encountered who can do various things like this, so I must have been misinformed about something. What am I missing? Because I was pretty sure you weren't suppose to be able to do stuff like that, until I actually tried it.

Sure, you can slow or speed your heart rate. Now, try to make it stop beating entirely.

Sure, you can hold your breath or breath more quickly. Now, try to stop breathing entirely.

There are small magnitude changes such as those you mention above that are definitely within your conscious control, but that control you describe here is rather limited within a very narrow band of constraints and is not really "control" at all... Just minor and quite temporary "influence."

Edited by iNow

SamBridge, are you sure you can make it ? could u PL tell me how ? thanks.

quote:The second is that I was able to repeatedly and measurable slow my heart rate down at will from around 120 beats per minute to 70 bears per minute in less than 3 seconds.

SamBridge, are you sure you can make it ? could u PL tell me how ? thanks.

quote:The second is that I was able to repeatedly and measurable slow my heart rate down at will from around 120 beats per minute to 70 bears per minute in less than 3 seconds.

So you counted four heartbeats and said it was a success?

So you counted four heartbeats and said it was a success?

I measured the time it took between heartbeats and found it was dramatically lower after a small period of time, there was other evidence for it such as oxygen depletion which makes sense, the same effect as if you hold your breath and exercise at the same time.

Edited by SamBridge

If you hold your breath and exercise your heart rate will speed up. How did you measure oxygen depletion?

As a test to see if you have control over your heart rate, take your resting heart rate (count for at least 30 sec). Now run as fast as you can for 15 sec and don't let your heart rate increase. Measure your heart rate as soon as you stop running to make sure it doesn't have a chance to go back to its resting rate.

If you hold your breath and exercise your heart rate will speed up. How did you measure oxygen depletion?

After I was done in that specific scenario which is not connected to the other scenario, after I started breathing again, I my muscles were fatigued and were damped in ability as well as a slight feeling of being light headed which was the same effect from the exp

As a test to see if you have control over your heart rate, take your resting heart rate (count for at least 30 sec). Now run as fast as you can for 15 sec and don't let your heart rate increase. Measure your heart rate as soon as you stop running to make sure it doesn't have a chance to go back to its resting rate.

No I was already keeping track of it the whole time, on every account I attempted the experiment it worked, as for running fast I was able to hold the heart down after about 2 seconds of stopping the running which lead to the same effects described above as my heart-rate did not return to that previous rate.

Edited by SamBridge

Ringer : Now run as fast as you can for 15 sec and don't let your heart rate increase.

how come the heart rates wont increase after running as fast as you can for 15seconds ?

It will. That's the point. It's a test designed to disprove the assertion that one can "control" their heartrate.

It will. That's the point. It's a test designed to disprove the assertion that one can "control" their heartrate.

I would have to say that that is not the result I got, the heart-rate was slowed down and instead of it speeding up for compensate for the oxygen needed it was merely similar to as if I held my breath, the heart rate did not have a dramatic increase afterwards, though perhaps part of it could have been the duration of time the test took place and that it was a natural amount of time for the heart-rate to lower to a point where it wouldn't necessarily need to rise dramatically.

Edited by SamBridge

So, that's a no... You are either unable or unwilling to test this scientifically and bring your assertion into the realm of "worth any other reasonable person bothering with or considering," correct?

If that's the game we're playing, then I have a purple dragon in my garage. Don't believe me? Well, go look in your garage and you'll find a purple dragon, too!! eek.gif

So, that's a no... You are either unable or unwilling to test this scientifically and bring your assertion into the realm of "worth any other reasonable person bothering with or considering," correct?

If that's the game we're playing, then I have a purple dragon in my garage. Don't believe me? Well, go look in your garage and you'll find a purple dragon, too!! eek.gif

I gave a my scenario and provided my measurements, if you doubt it then find a way to concentrate and control your rate heart in the manner I described and then test it yourself. Given the fact that even you yourself said there is limited control over your heart rate, what I am saying should not be much of a shocker, you have no reason to be hostile.

I would like to see your lactic acid concentration before and after the run when you don't let your heart rate increase.

I would to because I am pretty skeptical of stuff like this, but I definitely don't have any equipment to do that, or at least I don't have the chemistry skills to. But according to what I measure, it seems you can in fact not only slow your heart rate down to a limited extent at will, but keep it slowed down for an unknown duration of time that has yet to be tested. I'm not sure how unhealthy holding my heart-rate down for extended periods of time is as well as forcing it to slow down very fast, I don't know what effects it has if any and keeping it slowed down past a minimum point may cause slight brain damage, but so far I haven't been able to slow it to lower than 60 beats per minute so I shouldn't have to worry about that. 60 beats per minute by the way is y resting heart rate, perhaps there is some anatomical reason why it wouldn't slow down further than that while conscious.

Edited by SamBridge

You can buy a device that will take your lactic acid level just by pricking your finger. I'm not sure how expensive they are, though

Now that I think about it, what would lactic acid actually do? Lactic acid builds up over a long period of time I thought, I was talking about oxygen levels.

Edited by SamBridge

Lactic acid is the byproduct of anaerobic energy use in animals. Since you would deprive muscles of oxygen during exercise if your heart rate and breathing did not increase your lactic acid levels would sky-rocket. Really you should be cramping like crazy.

Lactic acid is the byproduct of anaerobic energy use in animals. Since you would deprive muscles of oxygen during exercise if your heart rate and breathing did not increase your lactic acid levels would sky-rocket. Really you should be cramping like crazy.

Well actually I do have a very immediate and large fatigue in mostly my leg muscles after a trial, and that is the same exact result of when I hold my breath and walk at around 3.5-4 mph for about 20-30 seconds, but the effects do not seem to be long term in either scenario, they last for less than 120 seconds. I think in order for them to "skyrocket" in the manner you described at have to job about 2 miles at at least 7 miles per hour.

Edited by SamBridge

No you wouldn't. Top speed at 15 sec with oxygen depletion with cause them to skyrocket just fine. When I did a lactic acid test my baseline was 7 (mM/L I think, I don't remember the units) after running top speed for 15 sec, while letting my heartrate and breathing increase, I went up to 17.

No you wouldn't. Top speed at 15 sec with oxygen depletion with cause them to skyrocket just fine. When I did a lactic acid test my baseline was 7 (mM/L I think, I don't remember the units) after running top speed for 15 sec, while letting my heartrate and breathing increase, I went up to 17.

Well regardless of "no you wouldn't", it still happened, 7 miles per hour isn't my "top speed", but I walked for around 20 seconds and immediately after I noticed heavy but short-term fatigue in my legs. If I ever get a chance to measure lactic acid, maybe next time I get a check-up at a doctor, I'll see what the results are.

Edited by SamBridge

The point here is that your central question in the OP is false. You cannot override your physiology with conscious thought, only influence it slightly within a small band of possibilities.

I don't think I said anywhere that you can "override your physiology", but it is still true that you have a limited range but still relatively moderately wide range of capabilities that are connected to concentration and triggering physiological processes through your manipulation of your thought. For instance, you could slow your rate rate which based on my evidence ranges to your resting heart rate, or you could make your self angry or sad like how actors do which releases a hormone into your blood.

Edited by SamBridge

I'm skeptical, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

I'd like to ask, how did you measure your heart rate? Fingers on the artery? [if so, which? radial (wrist), carotid (neck)?]

I'm curious, like someone else mentioned here, about your O2 sat. I very much doubt you have a pulse oximeter lying around, though.

Anyone else know of a convenient way to measure o2sat?

I'm skeptical, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

I'd like to ask, how did you measure your heart rate? Fingers on the artery? [if so, which? radial (wrist), carotid (neck)?]

I'm curious, like someone else mentioned here, about your O2 sat. I very much doubt you have a pulse oximeter lying around, though.

Anyone else know of a convenient way to measure o2sat?

Yeah I put two fingers and squeezed on my wrist and counted, it's pretty easy to notice O2 levels decrease when your muscles become fatigued all of a sudden, it's the same exact side effects of not actually getting enough oxygen, which is what happens when your heart is pumping fast and needs to get a lot of oxygen to your muscles and then suddenly can't because it slowed down too much. Just hold your breath and walk for 20-30 seconds you will see what I mean.

Edited by SamBridge