Atheists find togetherness and ritual in London’s new godless church

Mr Rayon

“I feel sorry for the church next door, waiting for their three people to trickle in,” says Nick Julius, glancing at the small adjacent hall which will shortly be hosting its own gathering. There are still 40 minutes before the Sunday Assembly, an atheist service run by two standup comedians, is due to begin, but a queue of eager congregants is already forming outside a grand but crumbling former church in Islington, north London, hands shoved deep into pockets against the cold.

Julius arrived an hour early, just to be sure of a place at the service, which is described by its organisers as “a godless congregation that meets … to hear great talks, sing songs and generally celebrate life”. But why? “I came last time and really enjoyed it. It’s got all the good things about church without the terrible dogma. I like the sense of community – and who doesn’t enjoy a sing song?”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/03/atheists-find-togetherness-and-ritual-in-londons-new-godless-church/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2051730

Atheists going to church...a good idea?

What is your opinion?

If you are an atheist please state why you would or would not attend church services?

I would if they didn't call it "church." A simple "Atheist community gathering" or something of that nature would be fine. The only thing beneficial thing that religion adds to society, in my opinion, is a community. So I feel like it only makes sense to draw from the only positive of religion and add it to Atheism.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/03/atheists-find-togetherness-and-ritual-in-londons-new-godless-church/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2051730

Atheists going to church...a good idea?

What is your opinion?

If you are an atheist please state why you would or would not attend church services?

I do go to real church services (ie religious ones) for the sing-along; I cannot sing but I do enjoy singing - in a large congregation with a massive organ (phnar phnar) I can let rip without too much consternation. I have known cathedral choirs with more atheists than believers and even a jewish guy who was probably the most religious person there! There is an old phrase that the devil has all the best tunes - I have never believed it; god has some cracking tunes and I won't let the bible-bashers keep them all to themselves.

On the atheist side - I do go regularly to meetings and seminars, but they are fairly earnest and serious affairs - till they adjourn to the bar . I might give the linked assembly a try - but bear in mind that Islington is about as achingly hip as it is possible to be and what is possible in Issy may not be reproducible on a wider scale. I wonder what songs they are - just thinking of a secular song with the power of some of the good hymns (I used to go to Wesley's Chapel when I worked on the City Road just because of his hymns) - I can imagine Come on Eileen being a bit of laugh sung with gusto in a congregation, Bohemian Rhapsody...

If a religion can be not-theistic, then atheists could attend services in a "church" without contradiction. Personally, I think they make a mistake by using so many theistic references ("Latecomers go straight to HELL!"), but I think they're trying to start out with a familiar format and then diverge as the congregation sees fit. The concept is a good one, but I still think atheists should simply avoid using references from theistic religions. Make it a non-issue, in effect.

As long as their practices don't become religion-like, in the sense that one person speaks and everyone follows. It should be a place where everyone gathers to think for themselves.

Edited by Iota