Frequency of male homosexuality

Manfromzurich

Hi folks

I'm interest in genetics and biochemistry. I wanted to know if there is a genetic cause for my homosexuality. I founded this study:

http://blog.23andme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Drabant-Poster-v7.pdf

In this paper you can see that between 12% and 14 % of all men are gay. Well posted this paper in this chat:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/67578-gay-gene/page-10

Now a person can't believe that male homosexuality is such common. But doesn't this paper clealy show us the statistical facts?

I am sure these 13/14% tell us the truth. Well 23andme has 200'000 customer from USA and all over the world. The droped the prize of 290$ down to 90$, because they want to get more than 1 million costumer.

No Sir I don't believe you can speak here of a ''particular'' group. They will continue this GWAS the next several years and should their study grow over 100'000 men asked about their sexual orientation and should still between 12% and 14% of men indentify as gay, then we can clearly say this is the fact.

I know you can't accept this, because in the real life outside, you don't spot such a lot of gays, because you believe in these cliché gays. But see, if only 2 %until 3 % of all men were gay how you believe, it wasn't so easy to make channelx like ''taken, straight or gay'' or woman and five gays.

I'm sure If you would work in a bank where it has 3000 male employers and would you make a poll(the answer of each one stays anonymous) about their sexual orientation, )9% until 11% would say they were gay.

Edited by Manfromzurich

Hi folks

I'm interest in genetics and biochemistry. I wanted to know if there is a genetic cause for my homosexuality. I founded this study:

http://blog.23andme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Drabant-Poster-v7.pdf

In this paper you can see that between 12% and 14 % of all men are gay. Well posted this paper in this chat:

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/67578-gay-gene/page-10

Now a person can't believe that male homosexuality is such common. But doesn't this paper clealy show us the statistical facts?

by "a person" do you mean you? Cos I believe those numbers; but you have to be careful not to put your own labels on potentially different scientific results

I am sure these 13/14% tell us the truth. Well 23andme has 200'000 customer from USA and all over the world. The droped the prize of 290$ down to 90$, because they want to get more than 1 million costumer.

No Sir I don't believe you can speak here of a ''particular'' group. They will continue this GWAS the next several years and should their study grow over 100'000 men asked about their sexual orientation and should still between 12% and 14% of men indentify as gay, then we can clearly say this is the fact.

Not sure what you mean about this prize etc

I know you can't accept this, because in the real life outside, you don't spot such a lot of gays, because you believe in these cliché gays. But see, if only 2 %until 3 % of all men were gay how you believe, it wasn't so easy to make channelx like ''taken, straight or gay'' or woman and five gays.

I'm sure If you would work in a bank where it has 3000 male employers and would you make a poll(the answer of each one stays anonymous) about their sexual orientation, )9% until 11% would say they were gay.

The male employees of the bank are not necessarily a representational sample of the overall population. An organisation or industry with a history of homophobia might well have a lower percentage of LGBT employees; current members may exhibit bias in recruitment and secondly prospective LGBT job candidates may decide they would prefer to work for a more enlightened employer. Additionally guarantees of anonymity will not be believed (often correctly) - I know someone who was singled out in a (very poorly run) supposedly anonymous survey; any thought by his colleagues would have made it clear that he had to be the one person in a group (ethnicity and years of service were cross-referenced with results)

Persons who are sexually attracted to the people of the same-gender.

The problem with that definition is that human being are not digital they are analogue - we operate on a spectrum. Even the study you quoted was much more nuanced than that

The Klein Sexual Orientation Grid (which in another world could be a strange device - think Duran Duran and Barbarella) works on 21 variables (7 times past present and future/desired) and 7 options for each grid place. This is not a simple question. Simple on/off self-identification is notoriously poor in discovering any real personal information.

Persons who are sexually attracted to the people of the same-gender.

What?

Even if they just thought " Nice hair!" and then noted the the person thy were thinking about was the same sex that they were.?

It seems likely that, given that definition, the incidence of homosexuality will be near 100%

Even if they just thought " Nice hair!" and then noted the the person thy were thinking about was the same sex that they were.?

It seems likely that, given that definition, the incidence of homosexuality will be near 100%

I've never before seen anyone define sexual attraction in this way. Edited by zapatos