What is the force that attracts matter to Higgs Bosons?

rwjefferson

What is the force that attracts matter to Higgs Bosons?

Place a powerful vacuum inside a porous model of earth. What path is followed as a model moon is spun toward this low pressure earth?

What is the difference between gravity and van der waals and weak nuclear and charisma and vacuum pressure?

ron

The Higg's field is a scalar field which permeates the domain of our universe ( there could be other domains ). This scalar quantum field gives rise to bosonic particles as does any quantum field.

It is the interaction of particles with this Higg's field which gives rise to mass.

Edited by MigL

technically.101

Fields and couplings and curvatures are reactions to force and I am asking what you know of the force that unifies all states and properties and reactions.

r~field

Roll a ping pong ball and marble and ball bearing through the inertial pressure differential field near the working nozzle of the most convenient vacuum cleaner.

Can you predict the path of matter through an inertial pressure differential field?

What property signifies and defines vacuum pressure?

just askin

ron

Fields and couplings and curvatures are reactions to force and I am asking what you know of the force that unifies all states and properties and reactions.

I do not understand your question.

What I can say is that the nature of the fields and how they couple to each other determines the interactions.

The Higg's field is a scalar field which permeates the domain of our universe ( there could be other domains ). This scalar quantum field gives rise to bosonic particles as does any quantum field.

It is the interaction of particles with this Higg's field which gives rise to mass.

Does this interaction acts along some direction? like action and reaction?

I assume AJB could better answer your question.

The Higgs field is definitely scalar, ie directionless, but a Yukawa coupling or interaction ( as in the interaction between nucleons by exchanging Pions ) is, to my knowledge, directional.

Edited by MigL

Does this interaction acts along some direction? like action and reaction?

I am not really sure how best to answer that.

One does not usually think of the Higgs as a force, it does not arise due to gauge symemtry. However, we do know that any force that is transmitted via spin zero bosons is always attractive.

I am not really sure how best to answer that.

One does not usually think of the Higgs as a force, it does not arise due to gauge symemtry. However, we do know that any force that is transmitted via spin zero bosons is always attractive.

I have to admit i understand less and less lately.

I thought graviton was expected to be a spin 2 boson because of attraction, but that is about graviton, not Higgs.

So yes I suspected that Higgs is not thought as a force, otherwise Higgs & graviton would be one and the same thing.

If Higgs boson is a "force carrier" (is it?), what force is it linked to? Is it mass without gravity?

I am lost.

As AJB has said, 'force carrier' is somewhat of a misnomer, A boson is a manifestation of a quantum field, of which there can be several classes, scalar, vector and tensor. Familiar fields have energy and a vector direction A Higgs field,on the other hand, is a scalar field, having the energy associated with a field but no direction. Can you have a force without a direction ?

I don't know about mathematical links, but physically the Higgs field is linked to false and actual vacuum energy levels attained through various spontaneous symmetry breaks for our domain of the universe ( see electroweak unification ) .

Edited by MigL

My assumption is that you mean the Higgs Field yes? The Higgs Field is much too complicated to explain here but, basically it helps bind everything together. The reason we intended to find it is because every other field has some sort of 'excitement' or particle, so to complete the standard model we needed to find it.

welcome to the science revolution.101

def: field

area subject to force

syn: same as above

Around each and every working vacuum cleaner nozzle is an area or field where attraction holds sway.

q - What happens as ping pong balls and marbles and ball bearings and other forms of matter are spun past the working end of a vacuum cleaner?

a - Attraction signifies and defines vacuum pressure.

I already know how states of force like entropy and vacuum pressure and Higg's and weak nuclear and Van der Wall's and gravity and lower pressure differential all share and demonstrate the property of attraction.

other than time and distance

I just want to know why you seem to think there is a significant difference between states of attraction like Higg's and gravity.

ron

welcome to the science revolution.101
def: field
area subject to force
syn: same as above
Around each and every working vacuum cleaner nozzle is an area or field where attraction holds sway.
q - What happens as ping pong balls and marbles and ball bearings and other forms of matter are spun past the working end of a vacuum cleaner?
a - Attraction signifies and defines vacuum pressure.
I already know how states of force like entropy and vacuum pressure and Higg's and weak nuclear and Van der Wall's and gravity and lower pressure differential all share and demonstrate the property of attraction.
other than time and distance
I just want to know why you seem to think there is a significant difference between states of attraction like Higg's and gravity.
ron

You start each piece of nonsense the same, and then always end up with vacuum cleaners.

The simplest models of the Higg's are that of a single scaler field, which is spin zero. Also the Higg's boson has a mass, which is currently thought to be about 125 GeV. I expect more papers about this in the near future.

The particle responsible for gravity (lets skip all technicalities about effective theories, perturative non-renormaliablity etc..) is the graviton, which is a rank two tensor field and has spin two. (It is not impossible to also include a scaler here, if we look outside general relativity) The graviton also seems to be massless, or for sure has a very small mass indeed.

The two things, the Higg's field/boson and gravity cannot be the same.

The simplest models of the Higg's are that of a single scaler field, which is spin zero. Also the Higg's boson has a mass, which is currently thought to be about 125 GeV. I expect more papers about this in the near future.

The particle responsible for gravity (lets skip all technicalities about effective theories, perturative non-renormaliablity etc..) is the graviton, which is a rank two tensor field and has spin two. (It is not impossible to also include a scaler here, if we look outside general relativity) The graviton also seems to be massless, or for sure has a very small mass indeed.

The two things, the Higg's field/boson and gravity cannot be the same.

If they "cannot be the same" then what is the property of mass?

If they "cannot be the same" then what is the property of mass?

The Higgs gives the mass of the fundamental particles, or for sure that is what the standard model says.

The sources of gravity are things with energy-momentum, or in layman's terms mass. General relativity says nothing about the mass of fundamental particles.

So if i understand clearly;

An ocean of Higgs gives what is call "mass" to particles. When particles have "mass" they emit some other kind of particles we call "gravitons" that transmit gravity to each other. Is that it?

First sentence yes - although for ocean read field. Second sentence possibly - but this is quantum gravity and we are still in process of trying to correctly formulate a theory. Quantum field theory has been so successful in explaining the nuts and bolts (and making supremely accurate predictions) in electromagnetism (QED) and the strong interaction (QCD) it has even allowed us to unify these forces to an extent (EWT) that one of the biggest questions in physics is the quantum field theory of gravity. But it is a long way from being nicely formalised - and we still have no sight or sound of the graviton - the sine qua non of the theory

Sorry - I would have to bail out on anything further. Pure speculation--> It could be as you suggested - or just as feasibly the same property that causes massive particles to couple with the higgs also causes an ability to interact via gravitons.

remember that in the other view of gravity - ie general relativity on the large scale, that it is not only mass - but energy-momentum that contributes to the stress energy tensor. so gravity from that perspective is more than mass-based - does that mean it must be more than an add-on to the interaction with the higgs field, I would say yes.

Gravity doesn't actually couple to mass as far as I know, it actually couples to energy and momentum as shown by a rank two stress energy tensor in general relativity; gravity is neither a vector nor a scalar field, rather it is a tensor field. Whereas the Higgs field is a scalar field with a non zero potential at origin state, unlike say the electric field. A scalar field does not generally interact with a tensor field, and so the Higgs field and gravity are not really intertwined inherently.

So if i understand clearly;

An ocean of Higgs gives what is call "mass" to particles. When particles have "mass" they emit some other kind of particles we call "gravitons" that transmit gravity to each other. Is that it?

Loosely, that is okay.

But remember that it is actually energy-momentum that acts as the source of gravity, so massless particles do interact gravitationally.

Gravity doesn't actually couple to mass as far as I know, it actually couples to energy and momentum ...

Right, but to avoid more confusion for non-physicists we should be happy saying mass and energy.

Loosely, that is okay.

But remember that it is actually energy-momentum that acts as the source of gravity, so massless particles do interact gravitationally.

Right, but to avoid more confusion for non-physicists we should be happy saying mass and energy.

(emphasis mine)

The graviton is (supposed to be) massless. So does the graviton interact with graviton while at the same time carrying gravity?

It sounds like a bootstrapping.

The graviton is (supposed to be) massless. So does the graviton interact with graviton while at the same time carrying gravity?

Okay, you cannot write down an energy-momentum tensor for the graviton as you can for non-gravitational stuff. However, we know that GR is highly non-linear and so gravitons self-interact.