Evolution Posters

I have made a poster of the tree of life with extinct ancestors and relitives aswell as putting in some missing links. I was wondering if people could tell me what they think of then and what I should do to improve my next one.

You can see the image better here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/EvolutionPosters

https://twitter.com/evolutionposter

post-26433-0-49047400-1359399749_thumb.jpg

Edited by allo4

Yeah I went to meet some screen printers last week I only ordered some screen-prints but we talked about t-shirts. I'm planning to draw some specifically for t-shirts.

I want to Improve the accuracy for example my pelycosaurs, therapsids etc are in the wrong place and because I was running out of space it looks like Cetacea evolved from giraffes, I am still in the early stages of learning about the evolutionary processes that occured so I'm hoping for some critisism on this image to help me improve any that I make in future.

I have started to colour it but it has taken me a month to do just under half of it so it will be at least another month before I finish it.

It would really help if you could draw this electronically. You're going to lose so much detail in a transfer. HP has some software that would let you take your designs to a repro house with a large-format printer for fabric (sure, there would be overlap but imagine how cool the whole shirt would look; vague color pattern from far away, coming into glorious evolutionary detail as someone got closer to it). Plus, as your evolutionary lines improve, you could more easily move the individuals to their correct places.

Most impressive, allo4. Welcome to SFN, glad to have you here.

I have made a poster of the tree of life with extinct ancestors and relitives aswell as putting in some missing links. I was wondering if people could tell me what they think of then and what I should do to improve my next one.

You can see the image better here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/EvolutionPosters

https://twitter.com/evolutionposterattachicon.gifevolution.jpg

amazing...really very amazing! As viewed overall, spectacular, but as I tried to make sence of it I found myself trying to find some start, ultimately did, but felt that I would have liked some help. Possibly a little change in perspective as items diverge from the origen? Could give it more dynamics. But, again, totally amazing, and maybe it is as you like.

Thanks

how cool the whole shirt would look; vague color pattern from far away, coming into glorious evolutionary detail as someone got closer to it.

I wasn't sure about doing the whole image on a Tshirt but I mocked it up and it does look ok. I planned just to do sections, just birds, just mammals etc.

post-26433-0-12551000-1359485372.jpg post-26433-0-17118400-1359485401.jpg

When I spoke to the printers they said that if it is harder it is more expensive, but printing on the fabric before it is put together could be a solution. Thanks for the imput

Possibly a little change in perspective as items diverge from the origen? Could give it more dynamics. But, again, totally amazing, and maybe it is as you like.

Thanks, I did think about using perspective towards the edges, the sharks fish and crocodile are a bit bigger but I was really struggling for space by the end. I don't want the cells to be too small so perhaps I could do a rippling effect. Thanks for the input too.

When I spoke to the printers they said that if it is harder it is more expensive, but printing on the fabric before it is put together could be a solution.

There are plenty of places that will take pre-made T-shirts and screen your design onto them, even in small quantities. If you're convinced these would be popular though, you would have a lot more profit, control and higher quality by buying a bolt of 100% cotton fabric, finding a large-format printer who can do cloth, and put out an ad for a couple of seamstresses who can do T-shirts.

For the printer, make sure that they don't keep a file of your design. Get this in writing.

The fabric should have consistent thicknesses in the threads, not a mix of thin and fat ones. You should be able to see very little light pass through the cloth when you hold it up to the light.

You shouldn't have to go to London to find some good seamstresses. I wouldn't look for a shop at first, if you think you could find some grandmother types who would love to earn some extra money for something they probably do in their spare time for free. If they don't have a T-shirt pattern already, you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply. It shouldn't take them more than 30-40 minutes to sew each shirt.

Thanks

I wasn't sure about doing the whole image on a Tshirt but I mocked it up and it does look ok. I planned just to do sections, just birds, just mammals etc.

attachicon.gifshirt1.jpg attachicon.gifshirt2.jpg

When I spoke to the printers they said that if it is harder it is more expensive, but printing on the fabric before it is put together could be a solution. Thanks for the imput

Thanks, I did think about using perspective towards the edges, the sharks fish and crocodile are a bit bigger but I was really struggling for space by the end. I don't want the cells to be too small so perhaps I could do a rippling effect. Thanks for the input too.

I'd buy them in a heart beat, i love shirts with intricate designs on them, it would look great to have one life tree on a silk camp shirt. I'd probably get one of each tree...

Wow! Once or twice a month, if I am lucky, I see or hear something that blows me away. That is awesome. Very well done. I know you were looking for comments on how to improve it, but I need to come back to Earth before I can start nitpicking a brilliantly executed concept.

Wow! Once or twice a month, if I am lucky, I see or hear something that blows me away. That is awesome. Very well done. I know you were looking for comments on how to improve it, but I need to come back to Earth before I can start nitpicking a brilliantly executed concept.

Thanks Ophiolite, they are available to buy if you are in the Uk otherwise it gets a bit expensive. I am currently colouring it if that is something you might prefer and also getting screenprints made but they will be a bit more expensive

Thanks Ophiolite, they are available to buy if you are in the Uk otherwise it gets a bit expensive. I am currently colouring it if that is something you might prefer and also getting screenprints made but they will be a bit more expensive

Really, the $AUD67 I just paid for an A1 sized print (inc. postage) is not that expensive. I've seen smaller prints of far less quality go for much, much more.

I too cannot think of any improvements; the concept and asthetics of the final product are phenominal. I look forward to seeing the coloured version.

It's a cool idea, really nice poster, for future ideas maybe perhaps make them into fractals, some kind of timeline, or a definite shape like a tree, like the base could be made out of fish swimming in water, mollusks and invertebrates could be crawling up the side and along with bugs they could form branches which birds and leafy plants sprout off of.

From a distance on the T-shirt it looks like a bunch of flowers and vines just by itself, perhaps you could more definitely shape it into flowers and ferns with details of animals making up some of it's components in some kind of abstract fractal time-line.

Edited by SamBridge

I'm not sure an intricate design like this will ever be seen as anything but a flowery pattern from a distance. I think a big part of the intrigue from a T-shirt will be seeing the detail become clearer as you get closer to the person wearing it. I think it's very appropriate that, like evolution, it's an interwoven concept that only breaks down into details when you study it closely.

It's a cool idea, really nice poster, for future ideas maybe perhaps make them into fractals, some kind of timeline, or a definite shape like a tree, like the base could be made out of fish swimming in water, mollusks and invertebrates could be crawling up the side and along with bugs they could form branches which birds and leafy plants sprout off of.

From a distance on the T-shirt it looks like a bunch of flowers and vines just by itself, perhaps you could more definitely shape it into flowers and ferns with details of animals making up some of it's components in some kind of abstract fractal time-line.

I have some ideas that are along these lines, the flowers I didn't think of, could be a popular image. Thanks for the ideas.

One idea you might like to consider is to have only a partly coloured area, doing most of it but not all of it and make the total coloured area a solid progressive but flowing block running from the front, say possibly, the same sort of shape as your right hand picture above for coloured area and leave the rest as drawing. This might go over one shoulder and spread like it is at the front over the back. The contrast of finished against unfinished might add an interesting visual dimension and create relief. You would need to think about the shape of the coloured area(s) as it moves from front to back and how much area to colour in to create a sense of balance with the unfinished part. Fully colouring it all in might be overkill I'm wondering.

Lovely job however you decide to do it. smile.png

Edited by StringJunky

One idea you might like to consider is to have only a partly coloured area, doing most of it but not all of it and make the total coloured area a solid progressive but flowing block running from the front, say possibly, the same sort of shape as your right hand picture above for coloured area and leave the rest as drawing. This might go over one shoulder and spread like it is at the front over the back. The contrast of finished against unfinished might add an interesting visual dimension and create relief. You would need to think about the shape of the coloured area(s) as it moves from front to back and how much area to colour in to create a sense of balance with the unfinished part. Fully colouring it all in might be overkill I'm wondering.

Lovely job however you decide to do it. smile.png

Thanks String Junky this is a good idea and easy to do, this is supposed to be a horse, it would look better when I get more of it coloured so I can zoom out more.

post-26433-0-50122800-1359749021.jpg

Edited by allo4

You've got the idea and obviously very talented in expressing yourself visually...i can clearly see a rampant horse. :) I was thinking myself more of an abstract flow that draws the viewer into the evolutionary story and leads them on a visual narrative guided by where and how much you colour.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Awesome....

I second that. After you get rich on everyone here and then the rest of academia you will finely clean up in the household linen section with bed sheets and pillow cases all the way down to crib sets. It is a beautiful job at blending art and science, say . . . . wait a minute . . . . there's a thread about that here somewhere.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/82416-art-in-science/ ^_^

The image is beautiful and it hurts me a bit to critique it because it's wonderfully done, but a couple notes on the evolutionary links.

The thecodontia lineage to crocs should have biped ancestors. The thecodontia/euryapsid/squamata/etc. branch point is super cluttered where I didn't see squamates at first. During the amphibian evolution there is an animal that is lifting its head and another above it with a bend in its back. There may have been that neck movement but ventral/dorsal trunk movement probably didn't develop that early on.

I apologize for critiquing because it is truly a beautiful piece of work.