NOVA's Elegant Universe

mattd

Okay, I've caught the first installment, and it taught me a great deal about string theory and the like, but I've got one question.

Regarding dimensions, I'm aware of the aspect of this, but if it is true other dimensions exist, why is it we haven't seen any objects that are zero, one, or two dimensions?

Is it because all objects are multidimensional and we can only observe what our senses, which are geared for three, see ?

It's a fascinating series, but I'm trying to wrap my feeble brain around some big concepts here, and would appreciate some help here.

I recommend buying the book by Brian Greene.

The show can be summarized in like 5 ~ 10 pages and does, in fact, answer your question.

The electro-week and gravitational forces split with a thermal fluctuation that caused 3 dimensions to becomes larger then the rest, on which matter/antimatter pairs would annihilate each other giving off energy in the form of photons.

[ Because matter/antimatter wasn't evenly distributed, this caused the previous symmetry to be broken so about every billion antimatter partners would constitute a billion and 1 matter partners. (so for every billion photons there is one matter particle) ]

Anyway, if one were to magnify an object, hypothetically according to string theory, one would find that this previously thought 3D object is actually an X dimensional object (depended on which model is correct). So it is actually possible to find a 2D object, but it would have to be observed at a distance, and would actually have 3 dimensions + however more there actually are, if any. The reason we don't see 2D objects, very often that is, is simply because 3 dimensions are much larger then the rest (mathematically, to observe a 2D object, it would correspond to this difference).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dr. Badlove
brian greene was the host' date=' correct?

I thought the show was right on. It should be shown in schools.[/quote']

unfortunately, im in 8th grade and in my "neck of the woods", the kids ain't to bright so they dont show it............... I, however, was soking up the bits of this show I saw like a sponge....... guess im a weirdo :D ......

unfortunately, im in 8th grade and in my "neck of the woods", the kids ain't to bright so they dont show it............... I, however, was soking up the bits of this show I saw like a sponge....... guess im a weirdo :D ......

no way

Though, I can't say that the Elegant Universe is on-par with the Magic School Bus...

Elegant universe rocks, especially for people who dont know alot about physics or the more complicated issues, as i did when first watched it. Yes this series rocks and if possible i recommend to everyone whos ally this fits to try an see it

what happened to the anti-string theory people here? aren't you going to say anything about it?

String theory is a meer stepping stone between Our current knowlage and 'Enlgihtment'. My personal opinion is that its rubbish, but we can link the universe a better way. I personally believe that everything is discrete apart from Gravity, and we dont need to 'unify' them, that would be like trying to unify English and Maths, pointless. Same applies for Wave Particle duality, which just dont understand the results sufficiently, to say that electrons are waves.

As far as singularities go, we cant try to find an answer to the 'big question' if we dont understand what we are looking for [singularities].

I find it rather amusing that in the first episode he claims that Einstein made no significant contributions late in life because he became disconnected from experimental reality, and then in subsequent episodes went on to say that String Theory is the way forward. Am I the only one to see the irony of that?

I am not saying that String Theory is the right "Theory for Everything" even though I myself beleif in it. But I can safely say the String Theory seems to be the only Theory that is pushing itself forwards towards the way of a "Theory of Everything" and because of that even if you don't beleive I think it should still be given respect, as well as the scienctist that have dedicated their lives to it.