Radiation monitoring experiments

Gilded

Whoopee, I'm quite certainly getting to borrow an over 2000$ Geiger-counter that can even detect different isotopes through observing the decay... something (the energy of the gamma photon perhaps?).

I'm going to:

A) Find a couple of broken smoke alarms and see how much the americium-source shows

B) If I ever get my U-ore sample, see how active it is

C) Going to scan every single place in case someone has hidden plutonium rods there :))

Any other nice stuff to monitor? I guess it's quite a sensitive counter, so weak sources are OK too. Perhaps swansont could lend me some thorium targets... :))

"you could measure your avatar and some reindeer!"

Heh. :) It's a bugger though how reindeers STILL receive quite high Cs-137 levels from lichen due to Chernobyl and the Soviet nuclear experiments. :/ That's probably what causes Rudolf's nose to glow. :D

"or a mobile phone"

You know, a Geiger-Müller tube detects only ionizing radiation, and as far as I'm aware, mobile phones produce merely electromagnetic radiation. And with the roofing, do you mean technetium plating as it is used in some cases to provide protection against corrosion?

"or a mobile phone"

You know' date=' a Geiger-Müller tube detects only ionizing radiation, and as far as I'm aware, mobile phones produce merely electromagnetic radiation. And with the roofing, do you mean technetium plating as it is used in some cases to provide protection against corrosion?[/quote']

1`stly, I DID mean a mobile fone.

same as a MW, or Plasma ball, it fools mine into thinking Gamma :)

2`ndly I mean Slate propper grey slate, apparently I rem a Junior School, we did a science experiment using Roof Slate, and the GM det picked up radiation, apparently it`s something to do with the Sun being on it all day everyday, and creating a change?

I was only 10 so don`t ask for more detail! :P

I wouldn`t say it was "Crappy" at all, in fact it`s quite a good and reliable peice of kit. the only way to find out is actualy test it for yourself :)

re: the roof stuff, with proper Slate, you WILL get samples that show quite high radiation emissions as a result of being on a roof for years, and it`s well above background.

well I wouldn`t go so far as to say "I won`t beleive it", just keep an Open Mind :)

I`ve seen it myself 1`st hand, so it`ll certainly be worth a try, don`t pre-judge.

you may not get a result, doesn`t mean it`s not possible, just a difference in samples and/or other factors :)

It's just that I can't see a scientifical reason for it. Perhaps if the roofing's made of lead or lead alloy it would absorb more cosmic rays that would turn the lead atoms into unstable isotopes... But I still don't think it would measure over background levels if measured with a standard radiation monitor.

"I just thought of another thing you try testing, how about your Thyroid Gland? :)"

I'd have to get a pretty serious amount of iodine's unstable isotopes in there for it to measure above background. :)

Edit: It seems I'm getting to borrow the counter starting from tomorrow (don't know for how long though). Then we'll see about your magical radiating roof. :))

just drive around and wait till it ticks higher... then pop out the car and send some of the findings over here ;)(that is off the record of course!)

bannanas are radioactive??? i mean i knew there was a whole thing with fertilisers and all and that they could become extinct - but radioactive?

Bananas naturally contain levels of radioactive potassium. They have been known to trigger radioactivity sensors that are in place around New York city. (I have that from a direct source. The people who designed the sensors, at Brookhaven NAtional laboratory)

bananas contain potassium? can i isolate this and use it? or is it tiny tiny amounts that you cant even get at?

like i mean your blood contains loadsa metals, so i doubt its anything special, but radioactive potassium (K), well, normal K aint radioative, so maybe this is some K isotope?

Every living creature that contains potassium, contains potassium-40. But we're talking very minimal levels here, of course bananas have lots of potassium thereby resulting into having quite a bit of K-40 too. But 3.00 pCi/g... That's not even a single disintegration / second. :)) I trust you mean 3.00 pCi/g of K-40 disintegrations, but that doesn't add too much to the overall amount. Perhaps if you took your counter in a cargo box full of bananas... :)

"Or take it to the supermarket"

It sure would be interesting to see what the salespersons said if the counter measured like 4uSv near the fruit boxes. :> Wearing a lead suit and shouting "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" should spice things up a bit.

OK, got my counter today. It measures single pulses and equivalence dose (from 0.05uSv to quite lethal levels). However, my dad didn't like the idea of me breaking our smoke detector, so now I just have to find something cool to monitor. :P

surely you can get an old smoke detector 15th hand in some £1 shop... that like those shops which say everything is under a very small amount of money, in britain called £1 shops or under £1 or sumin like that!!

then there's:

reindeer

^'s moss

gas mantles

old watch dials

some slate roofing

rocks

seal around your microwave

mobile phone

bananas

russia

and little nooks and crannies in some old nuclear bunkers!!!

surely you can get an old smoke detector 15th hand in some £1 shop... that like those shops which say everything is under a very small amount of money' date=' in britain called £1 shops or under £1 or sumin like that!!

then there's:

reindeer

^'s moss

gas mantles

old watch dials

some slate roofing

rocks

seal around your microwave

mobile phone

bananas

russia

and little nooks and crannies in some old nuclear bunkers!!![/quote']

and other than restating what has already been said AGAIN, your contribution to this thread is what?.....