Doom3 Movie

Fellowes

I was just wondering what some people's thoughts are about the new Doom3 movie that is coming out? I myself, think it is gonna suck. They (the movie people) have made such changes that it is not even Doom anymore. Anyone who wanted to see Hellkinghts, and what 'Hell' looks like, won't. Anyone who wants to see a real life interpretation of the Doom environment, won't.

A) In the Doom3 movie there will be no UAC (Union Aerospace Corporation). The UAC is the whole point to Doom! The whole reason everything happens in the Doom trilogy is because of UAC going to Mars and studying new technological advances. This is not the way to go about making a movie about Doom.

B) There will be no Marines in Doom. Only SWAT and such. Space Marines and like a trademark of Doom. Doom doesn't have SWAT, or Police, or an army; they have space Marines. What's the big deal to change this from Space Marines to SWAT anyways. Once again :mad:

C) There will be no Hell!!! What is the point of the movie!? For those of you who have played the game, you know that Hell is the climax and the whole point to Doom3. This is where the monsters originate from. Without Hell this looks like a very dull movie. I know I was looking forward to their interpretation of Hell. Instead, the monsters origins are from a virus. If I wanted to see that then I'd just watch any other sci-fi out there. Hell is what makes this particular Doom (All the Dooms for that matter).

D) Classic Doom characters such as the Hell Knights, and Barons of Hell, are to be nicknamed things such as pinky and goat. What a waste.

E) Also, the movie will not be taking place on Mars. It will be taking place on some other unknown planet. What's the big deal about that either. Don't most planets look the same on set anyways?

Other small changes such as weapons will be changed as well. BFG is no longer what it was originally. It is now the Bio-Force-Gun. That used to be a nice humour in Doom. Not anymore.

Anyways, this is just my opinion on the subject. If you want to read the real article, it's at Megagames

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't think it should be given the name doom. thats like making a halo movie without the spartans its just ridiculous. to me it sounds like its going to be some crappy pg-13 movie because they took out hell and changed the bfg to bio force gun. since tehy changed the name of the bfg it just sounds like some wussy gun. i'm very disappointed.

The 'Doom Movie' is an abomination unto the lord, although most people heard about this several weeks, and are now merely mocking the thing. There's a penny arcade strip from a while back that sums things up nicely.

[edit]

Although that strictly speaking isn't 'just your opinion', because it's a paraphrasing of the megagamers article.

Yeah, I guess this thread is aimed at any of those gamers out there. Although, id software started the FPS resolution with the orignial Doom in 1993. They were the company who took the big step. This movie does not deserved to be called DOom. If they were to change the name of it and make another Doom3 movie, the *right way, A lot of people would be happy. That petition that Megagames has going has some 7,000 signatures. Anyway, like I said, this thread is for the gamers out there, if there are any here at scienceforums that is...

I am a gamer and I dislike doom it seems uncomplicated n a bit of a kids shooter if u want a real fps go try army ops or rainbow 6. But as for the movie I dont think it will do well its very hard for a game based movie to retain integrity just look at street fighter and mortal combat the only exception is resident evil and I think they were sucessful because they kept most of the original story. The matrix did very well because it built off the movie and I see this the best way for a game to do well if the movie does well FIRST allowing a conection with the game.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Sure Doom is uncomplicated have you played Doom3? As repetitive as it may get, isn't it still a rush to walk into a dark room, not knowing what's there to jump you and start gnawing away? Maybe it's just me or maybe I'm closed minded but I Like Doom. As for the army ops, tactical is ok, <b> sometimes </b> Splinter Cell was a good one, but back to the point...

Talking of abominations, I re-loaded the Tron 2.0 game the other day. For some reason the programmers saw fit to remove all but passing references to the Tron program, yet still call the game 'Tron'. I mean, whats the point? They even hired Bruce Boxleitner to reprise his role of Alan, in a prominent role in the game, but still could not be bothered with the Tron programme.

Jesus. What's the point?

Mind you, it's still quite pretty.

I'm sorry to say it but I can't imagine a film based on Doom being very good, because if it were like Doom then the film would be mostly running around shooting hordes of aliens, which gets tired pretty fast, and if it wasn't then it simply wouldn't be Doom. You could say the same about Half Life, since a film with one guy who never speaks running through Black Mesa for ten hours would be terrible. It makes a great game, just a terrible movie.

On a similar note, they were going to be making a Deus Ex movie, but that thankfully never happened. I say thankfully because Deus Ex had a good storyline which would have worked well as a film, but it was far too long for anything but a trilogy, so they would have had to cut out most of the storyline... and also because the film was going to contain Eminem in a possible acting role.

I... also admit that I've not played much of System Shock 2 (what I did play of it was restricted to multiplayer co-op with my brother on a system that crashed a lot), and I'm waiting for my brother to come visit our place so that I can nick/borrow his. Deus Ex derived a lot of its gameplay from System Shock 2 and Deus Ex is my favourite game, so I will get it eventually. Really!

The only reason that Freeman doesn't speak in Half Life is an immersive one. Obviously, it would be counter-immersive for him to be silent in a film, so he would speak.

You don't just show a game at the cinema, you have to adapt it.

"The only reason that Freeman doesn't speak in Half Life is an immersive one. Obviously, it would be counter-immersive for him to be silent in a film, so he would speak."

Heh, I wonder how a film would be like that's completely seen from 1st person and with a rather silent main character. :))

(Btw JaKiri, what happened to your avatar? :> )

Certainly, and it was the sense of immersion that Half Life gave that earned it some 50 Game of the Year Awards, helped along by Freeman not speaking at all (though Valve was originally going to have a voice actor, but didn't like any of them, until someone suggested not having him speak). But conversations and dialogue in a film about Half Life would alter the storyline, so it wouldn't be the Half Life that people know and—even if it were a good film in its own right—it would disappoint people.

You could either have a terrible film that is Half Life, or a good film that isn't. If Half Life were untouched (as in the case I gave) it would be a terrible film, and if it were made well (storyline changed and so forth) then it would be like the Phantom Menace of Half Life, i.e. new story and setting which just isn't the same as the original.

What happened to GIR? :-(

• 2 weeks later...