Comparing Hal and the 2001 Space Odyssey to: "NOW"

rigney

Having worked in robotics for several years and now retired, I was amazed to see the advancements made in them during the

past 20 years. Watched 60 Minutes last night and was stunned to see this program. Question is: With unemployeement being what it is today, what will happen with the millions who will shortly become unemployed?

Edited by rigney

Smile now ! - as tomorrow will be worse...

Shifting labor into manufacturing robots labor will not suffice filling unemployment, and that is if building the robots does not move to China to make it really worse.

Corporation greed will always push towards less expenses and more profit by selling crappier-short-lived goods, if 'goods' is the right word.

I suppose there is much more behind my question than just the use of robots. For instance, higher education! It seems everyone today must have a Phd. in one field or another to succeed, when in fact, we can't find employement for those who are already educated? Industry has become so streamlined due to robotics and an increase jn technology that humans are becoming passé or at best, an afterthought. Will our world eventually become classless, other than the extremely wealthy or totally indigent? Or maybe we may all sit around our evening campfires hand in hand singing, "Kumbaya"? As Old Satchmo once put it: What a Wonderful World that would be.

Edited by rigney