What is God exactly? Is he a being or something else?

mindlessthought

I'm pretty sure you are going to get a multitude of answers from the people here.

Well here is my take. It is nonsense to think of God as a super being above all of us, controlling us in some way. For me, my God is anyone and anything that helps me to live my life. According to that, my foremost god would be my parents, then would be the trees around me that cool me ( although there not that many in the city :( ), the water I drink, the plants that I eat ( animals also if you are non veg ). So, you get the idea.

Well, this my take out. Personally, I find this a good philosophy, so that we appreciate the important things in life.

Is God a living being or something entirely different?

The ontology of God is very different, he is made of divine light rays of the numinous(not to be confused with empirical Photons). He dwells in every living being and he exists behind the Intellect and all the opposites in this world like male and female, good and bad, hot and cold etc reconcile into a unity at his place.

Ha Ha. Pretty much what I expected. Everyone has their own different take on this. It's basically for you to decide. Do you need an all seeing being looking down at you at all times ? I frankly don't. But, you are entitled to believe whatever you want, as long as it doesn't conflict with scientific facts.

Ha Ha. Pretty much what I expected. Everyone has their own different take on this. It's basically for you to decide. Do you need an all seeing being looking down at you at all times ? I frankly don't. But, you are entitled to believe whatever you want, as long as it doesn't conflict with scientific facts.

Isn't that the real problem? Believing in the supernatural, by definition, conflicts with reality as evidenced by science...

Isn't that the real problem? Believing in the supernatural, by definition, conflicts with reality as evidenced by science...

Exactly, that's why I add that little line. People should understand that their notions of God cannot conflict with known Scientific facts ( so, supernatural stuff is out ).

mindlessthought,

Few years ago, my wife and I put one of our pups, with lung cancer, to sleep. I held and pet her and looked in her eyes as the life drained from her, there on the table. When my wife and I left the building, the bells of the local Catholic Church were ringing. It was no particular time, or any particular day...the bells were for us, and Shady.

Several days later a note came from the animal hospital suggesting that Shady was roaming free and happy in beautiful fields, and proposed a scene where we would meet Shady again, some day on a bridge to those fields.

I am not Catholic, or even religious...I did however, not reject the notion of being with Shady again in the field. It seemed somehow OK to consider such.

So I would not characterise God as a particular being, as much as suggest that God is being, itself.

Regards, TAR2