Foods you hate / dislike...

Externet

Which are those foods that produce adversion to you ?, from unpleasant to nausea -----> But not allergy triggering-

Mine are

Cauliflower

Milk

Butter

The word you want is "aversion". "Adversion" actually means "a turning towards; attention".

Canned spinach still grosses me out, although I love it fresh, mostly raw or sautéed.

The subtle taste of lobster is lost on me, probably from too many years of smoking in my earlier years, so I guess I hate the thought of paying so much money for something that just tastes like the butter it's dipped in (but I love butter). If you're buying and insist, I'll eat it, but I'd never buy it for myself.

I can't order hirame at a sushi bar. I've had halibut cooked and didn't mind (not a preference but I'd eat it if you had me over for dinner), but I've had it raw three times at three different sushi restaurants and it always tastes like docks smell. Most fish is best when fresh but I've never had good raw halibut even if it is fresh.

Short list. I've tried to overcome most of my early pickiness, giving many foods a second or third chance. Most of it is how it's prepared, imo,

tomatoes (unless sliced up small and mixed with other things, i.e. salsa good, a slice of tomato bad)

Tomatoes are a good example of something I learned to love but used to hate. Like you said, they needed to be sliced up small or pureed like ketchup or marinara.

Then a friend made up some tomato slices with a bit of mozzarella cheese and some kind of garlic spread and it was like eating a pizza. Now I have to have sliced tomatoes on burgers and I'll even eat the little cherry tomatoes in salads, but I still prefer them with something else. I wouldn't eat tomatoes alone as my vegetable.

I still like them as a great source of lycopene though, because watermelons take up way too much room in the fridge.

When I eat okra it makes me think that is what it would be like to eat a cat tongue.

When I eat brain it makes me think that is what it would be like to eat, well, a brain.

Too ripe bananas gag me.

I LOVE tomatos. I'll eat them any which way. During the summer I'll often cut up three or four tomatos, grab the salt shaker, and eat away. I even drink the juice that remains on the plate when I'm done.

I have a very long list of things I can't bring myself to eat, mostly because I seem to be overly sensitive to smells and textures.

- Cilantro/coriander, which tastes like soap to me. I read once that there is a genetic component to this.

- Tomatoes, unless cut up and cooked in something.

- Most seafood, except some fish and (sometimes) calamari.

- Liver, kidney or most internal organs.

- Aniseed.

- I can't stand eating or touching peaches because of the fuzz. If someone removes the skin for me, then I'll eat them and enjoy them.

- Canned vegetables or meat.

- Most deli hams smell like cat food to me. If I smell it before I eat it, I can't do it. Otherwise it's fine.

- Eggs where the whites haven't been properly cooked. Pretty much for the same reason I won't eat oysters or shell fish; the texture makes me gag.

- Venison.

- Marshmallows (unless roasted in a camp fire).

I've eaten a metric crapload of crazy things, and I cannot think of one I'd avoid eating again. Durian comes close, but I'd do it again. I suspect that part of it is because I can disconnect eating from enjoying. Being a diabetic, I very frequently have to eat to correct my blood sugar levels even when I want absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with food. Food is functional more than fun, even though I'm a total foodie at heart and massively dig the art of cuisine.

Kangaroo and stingray are probably two of the stranger things I've eaten, and both were quite good.

I have a very long list of things I can't bring myself to eat, mostly because I seem to be overly sensitive to smells and textures.

- Cilantro/coriander, which tastes like soap to me. I read once that there is a genetic component to this.

- Tomatoes, unless cut up and cooked in something.

- Most seafood, except some fish and (sometimes) calamari.

- Liver, kidney or most internal organs.

- Aniseed.

- I can't stand eating or touching peaches because of the fuzz. If someone removes the skin for me, then I'll eat them and enjoy them.

- Canned vegetables or meat.

- Most deli hams smell like cat food to me. If I smell it before I eat it, I can't do it. Otherwise it's fine.

- Eggs where the whites haven't been properly cooked. Pretty much for the same reason I won't eat oysters or shell fish; the texture makes me gag.

- Venison.

- Marshmallows (unless roasted in a camp fire).

I would never have guessed you were that picky... you'd starve to death around here... ohmy.png no oysters... I can't even think about it...wink.png

I would never have guessed you were that picky... you'd starve to death around here... ohmy.png no oysters... I can't even think about it...wink.png

Nah, there's no starving to death. I'm not really picky at all and I mostly live off of homemade Tandoori chicken and Ramen noodles. There's nothing on that list against that.

I didn't see grits on your list. Did you get to try them when you were here?

I looked at them once or twice. They had them in the hotel we stayed in while I was in New Orleans the first few days I was there, but I was a little unsure about them and at the time, I was still trying to get my head around the existence of so much orange cheese. After that, the opportunity never presented itself and I wasn't desperate to go looking for them, though I probably would be okay with them. I did however get to try sweet versions of sweet potato and pumpkin. Not a fan of the former, but I didn't mind the pumpkin pie and sweet pumpkin bread.

Never tasted it myself. Anything like chicken?

If I said yes, would you be more willing to try it?

Oh, I'm sure I'd make do. I can eat most of the things on that list if I have to, with maybe 4 exceptions (seafood, internal organs, peaches with the skin still on and tinned meat).