Dimensions Of Universe

Time And Space

• 3 weeks later...

String theory scientists are saying they need 10 dimensions (9+1) to make their theory mathematically correct.

Depends upon which string theory you're referring to - I believe that taking into account all different versions of string theories, the number of dimensions they predict range from 7 to 26 or something like that.

Depends upon which string theory you're referring to - I believe that taking into account all different versions of string theories, the number of dimensions they predict range from 7 to 26 or something like that.

I believe M-Theory which unifies the five different string theories requires 10+1 dimensions.

Depends upon which string theory you're referring to

Initial one, the one which is described by Leonard Susskind in his book The Cosmic Landscape: String Theory and the Illusion of Intelligent Design. He is saying on page ~290 about 9+1 dimensions needed. It's close to section describing his the first meeting with Murray Gell-Mann. I enjoyed reaction of Murray and his open mind.

(not that I agree with and support this theory)

Edited by Przemyslaw.Gruchala