Time - is it reversible?

Time And Space

• 2 weeks later...

Some have said you would have to excellerate a magnetic field faster than light speed or you would have to go faster than light speed.You should try to research that.

When you do you will find out that such an effort is not possible under known physics. In terms of what we know, the answer to the proposal is that it can't be done.

I think that commonly people have a wrong view of time as if it was something that had the power to put things going on. As much as i know, Time is not a force. Time is not one of the 4 interactions. Time should be considered more as an effect, not as a cause.

IOW the question should be changed by asking "what do I have to change in physics in order to observe time reversal?"

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it was Hawkings that suggested going back in time may be impossible because of spacial looping, or something like that. And compaired it to holding an electric guitar to an amplifier.

This made some sence to me.

I believe it was Hawkings that suggested going back in time may be impossible because of spacial looping, or something like that. And compaired it to holding an electric guitar to an amplifier.

This made some sence to me.

Stuckelberg and Feynman showed how antiparticles can be tough of as particles travelling backward in time. This interpretation is at the core of his diagrammatic approach to QED:

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v76/i6/p749_1

Time is not an entity unto itself nor a part of anything else, only a measurement we have found useful to describe natural events. Even using it as Einstein did to describe space time seems wrong to me. (the atomic clock thing), or speeding along at the speed of light and changing course. When you alter the outcome of events, you also change time duration and perception.

http://mysearch.avg.com/search?q=why+is+the+combining+of+space+and+time+ok+by+einstein%3F&sap=hp〈=en&mid=fa37236bd2e84428a02040aaab8db9a5-5b7622d8d0b80c4f9baf95d97b35744efe6b39f0&cid=%7B7CC3D9A6-6F0D-4709-8CF8-DC8917A8E4F4%7D&v=14.2.0.1&ds=hk018&d=2%2F16%2F2013+11%3A53%3A24+AM&snd=hp&pid=safeguard&sg=1&sap_acp=0

http://www.ws5.com/spacetime/

http://pages.towson.edu/zverev/conceptual/5.htm

Edited by rigney

Time is not an entity unto itself nor a part of anything else, only a measurement we have found useful to describe natural events. Even using it as Einstein did to describe space time seems wrong to me. (the atomic clock thing), or speeding along at the speed of light and changing course. When you alter the outcome of events, you also change time duration and perception.

Fortunately we judge by whether a theory agrees with nature, and not according to the whim of select individuals. Which atomic clock thing bothers you?

Only light or other massless particles speed along at the speed of light. Everything else is constrained to go slower.

Nobody is claiming you can alter the outcome of events.

entropy would need to decrease...

It's possible for entropy to increase in various systems, but otherwise time going forward is based on out definition of the mathematics to describe it. We say time is going forward if the difference between the last time increment and the this time increment is positive. If time goes from 1 to 2, 2-1 = 1, which is positive, so it was an increase, and we are continually measuring time going from one number to a larger number which always makes the difference positive.

Edited by SamBridge

So you took the original diagram and reversed some arrows and added a dotted line.

It's meaningless.

I didn't do anything to original diagram. I thought the other one was this one at a glance. An electron is moving forward in time. It then absorbs a photon travels back in time, discharges that photon and moves forward again.

Solid line is the electron, dotted is the photon and arrows denote direction. I believe the anti particle of the electron(i think the positron) is created at some point in the diagram, I'm not sure though.

There some physicists that don't think it so meaningless

Edited by rafman400

I didn't do anything to original diagram. I thought the other one was this one at a glance. An electron is moving forward in time. It then absorbs a photon travels back in time, discharges that photon and moves forward again.

Solid line is the electron, dotted is the photon and arrows denote direction. I believe the anti particle of the electron(i think the positron) is created at some point in the diagram, I'm not sure though.

There some physicists that don't think it so meaningless

There is no need to reinvent the wheel...

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/72113-time-is-it-reversible/#entry729283

In the first place, the dotted lines are technically representing anti-photons, not photons (although the photon is its own antiparticle this distinction is needed for a correct interpretation of the diagram, see below).

In the second place, that diagram is a representation of an electron-photon scattering

e- + y = e- + y

Third, the electron travelling backward is not real but a formal representation of the real positron travelling forward. Moreover, this is a virtual particle not a real particle, that is why it is in the middle of the diagram, being immediately absorbed to satisfy conservation laws.

Edited by juanrga

Ok so film a moving object and play it in reverse lol I mean literally time as we know it is mearly perspective draw two points and connect them and ask where does it start and end because both points you can assume are starting points and going backwards the only logical thing that happens according to the universe is that physics would applys backwards as it does forward and you would go backwards walking backwards like a rewinding film unless you skipped a portion and that is impossible

Hypathetically speaking

Hypathetically speaking