Numbers suck.

alt_f13

Binary, sure. Base four? Okay, its a little more managable than binary, and base 16 is in full use throughout computing... but base 10? Why not make it base 7.5? That's just as useless.

What's with the base 10 numbering system? What a stupid system. I seriously cannot understand how we still use such a primitive numbering system in this day and age. Well, I can... but it is time for revolution!

Aside from my rant, what would be the best numbering system for the future?

1,4 or 16? Or something completely different?

I don't know about you guys, but I stopped counting on my fingers when I graduated teh preeskule.

Base 10 is a lot more useful than base 7.5; not only is 7.5 non-integral, but it's also nonintegral and just above a prime number. 10 is not prime.

Base 12's pretty good, binary and base 4 are fairly useful (for the decimal [yes, I know that is technically incorrect] end of the thing, you really need a base towards the upper limit of what is easy to calculate, something between 8 and 16, say.)

The only legitimate reason to change it is that our computers don't run in base 10, and we need to interact with them; but it's much simpler to change a computer (as has been shown repeatedly) than it is to change all of human society; we'd have to change our time structure, all our units, our currencies...

Base 10 is a lot more useful than base 7.5; not only is 7.5 non-integral, but it's also nonintegral and just above a prime number. 10 is not prime.

Yah, sorry for making such an obvious exaggeration...?

Give me one benefit that another base, say 16, offers over 10.

16 has no odd divisors, besides 1, making it a much rounder number to deal with. Music is almost always based on 4/4 so math in music is easier. Computers use base 16 and base 1, which can be adapted to each other much easier than base 10. 16^2 can be divided by 16^(1/2) and still end up as an integer (again, just an example of how much rounder 16 is).

Give me an advantage of 10 over 16... besides the number of toes you have...

[edit]

And the fact that it's the system currently in use by most of the planet... that's already been made.

16 has no odd divisors, besides 1, making it a much rounder number to deal with.

Justify this statement please.

Music is almost always based on 4/4 so math in music is easier.

I'm not sure what this means, if anything.

Computers use base 16 and base 1, which can be adapted to each other much easier than base 10.

Aside from you meaning base 2 (not 1), this remains a property of computers, and, in particular, bits. Not people. Computers.

16^2 can be divided by 16^(1/2) and still end up as an integer (again, just an example of how much rounder 16 is).

I don't really see how that's an advantage, and, ironically given you said that it makes it rounder, is true of all square numbers, and only all square numbers.

Give me an advantage of 10 over 16... besides the number of toes you have...

10 is divisible by more prime numbers than 16 (2 rather than 1), and therefore ends up with fewer infinite fractions.

I am not sure but wasn't there an ancient culture that used base 13
there was once considered to be 13 months due to moon phases, and subsequently 13 star signs (zodiac), Tarrot cards (the for runner to our decks used in Poker etc...)

were made up of 4 Suits 13 in each (not counting the Major Arcana).

the 4 seasons and elements, the 13 months making the 52 weeks in the year also.

the lost Zodiak sign is said to be the Arachnid (Spider).

Pagan would be the "Culture" for wants of a better word :)

not exactly a number base per se, but highly revered and later feared by Christians as they were said to be Witches and Evil.

some people today still regard the Number 13 as "Unlucky" :(