Warp Speed In Our Lifetime Possible!

SomethingToPonder

Not pursuing new technology is a mistake, such research takes up only a tiny fraction of what we spend as a nation. You are operating on a mistaken assumption that space travel research is enormously expensive and compared to what you or i make it is but compared to what the government spends it's a drop in the ocean....

Not pursuing new technology is a mistake, such research takes up only a tiny fraction of what we spend as a nation. You are operating on a mistaken assumption that space travel research is enormously expensive and compared to what you or i make it is but compared to what the government spends it's a drop in the ocean....

I'm not working on the mistaken premise of expense, nor do I recommend "Stopping the space program". Read my words, not what you think I wrote. http://news.cnet.com/8301-19514_3-57377062-239/nasa-budget-boosts-manned-space-cuts-mars-exploration/

• 3 weeks later...

My point is that no one could have predicted our extensive technological advances from the mineral magnetite. We put men on the moon with nothing more than the epiphany of "that odd stone picks up iron, I wonder why". Sometimes even tiny things can turn out to be vastly important, you indicated this avenue of inquiry was worthless, you cannot know that...

I would have to agree here. No one can see into the future, technology is advancing, we a discovering new things all the time. Look at Graphene, what an amazing substance, no one could have predicted that 100 years ago. I think "warp speed" or "hyper drives" or whatever you want to call them are a distinct possibility, we have the theory we just don't have the means to do it right now.

Look at Graphene, what an amazing substance, no one could have predicted that 100 years ago. I think "warp speed" or "hyper drives" or whatever you want to call them are a distinct possibility, we have the theory we just don't have the means to do it right now.

Graphene is baryonic matter that only needed some clever experimenting to create. Warp drives require a source of negative energy density that has not been observed in nature, nor created in labs. It's not fair to compare the two. Warp drives probably won't be around for a very long time, if ever.

• 1 month later...

I have said it before and i will say it again, We should Never stop looking into new technologies and materials. that is a catastrophic failure. While i see your point about the world maybe being cleaner, Dropping space program budgets is nonsensical.

when albert einstein went to work in the patent office he was told by the manager , "everything that can be invented already has been" Imagine we had stopped there as society.

The dinosaurs ruled the world for millions of years, We have done so much more in the much smaller amount of time we have been here. Think where we were 50 years ago. This forum would be considered major technology. We have come so far, and now the rate at which we can learn by using things we have invented like the internet etc is dramatically increased. Where do you think wel be in 2063?

And there's still the problem of irradiating the crew and the inherent instability.

If you have warped space time then surely the radiation would be hitting you at it's standard speed. ?

I think the replicator will be here before warp travel and teleportation.

I wonder if it's worth putting a bet on?

Incorrect. Relativity has been confirmed to an extremely high degree of accuracy. All of it.

Im sorry i must have been misinformed.

while relativity has been confirmed, Was there not some parts Of einstein's theory itself that have now been dis proven, Or even "updated" if you will?

I remember reading somewhere a while back that while it may be very hard for us to propel a craft through space at the speed of light. There may be a way of bending or moving space around the craft. Now this sounds like a load of rubbish. But i do significantly remember reading some details in the book or article that sounded quite if not very plausible, And had a good reputation in the scientific community.

This wasn't meant as a post to say , We can build a machine that bends space around us. Not in any way. I cant quite put my finger on the details i really wish i could remember them all;

If anybody has heard of anything similar before or knows of the book im talking about please elaborate for me and stop me sounding like a fool.

I wouldn't usually post about something if i didn't have information or facts to back it up, but i really cant remember the details and im hoping somebody else out there will have read them somewhere.

Im sorry i must have been misinformed.

while relativity has been confirmed, Was there not some parts Of einstein's theory itself that have now been dis proven, Or even "updated" if you will?

Einstein's development of GR encompasses several papers, and (like a lot of theoretic physics) they were a sort of way to be "thinking out loud" and getting feedback. So there are undoubtedly mistakes in the intermediate versions. However, AFAIK the final version has held up very well. The only correction I can think of was the cosmological constant, which he had added in to make the universe be static rather than expanding.

Relativity has been proven per se, it is some of our perceptions and conceptions of relativity that are just plain wrong.

If you consider that my avatar image is a feedback loop screen capture of a simulation of a beam of photons going around the universe and running up its own clacker at 25 frames per second (i.e. classic Poincare section) except I cut out the rest of the 50 billion year or so trip via electronics. What is the relative speed of light in the electronic portion of the loop? i.e. in meters per second = 25 * 50,000,000,000 * 365.25 * 24 * 60 * 60 * 299,792,458 = 1,173,687,473,070,000,000,000,000,000 m/s. Beam me up Scotty, not.

A warp drive would work by “warping” spacetime around any spaceship, which physicist Miguel Alcubierre

showed was theoretically possible in 1994, albeit well beyond the

current technical capabilities of humanity. However, any such Alcubierre

drive was assumed to require more energy — equivalent to the

mass-energy of the whole planet of Jupiter – than could ever possibly be

supplied, rendering it impossible to build.

Techlee read the first page. With new calculations this has been reduced from a Jupiter sized mass to a few tons of negative mass and energy. Still requires extraordinary unknown technology but it gives warp enthusiasts a bit more hope than plans for Jupiter sized warp drives.That is what all the excitement is all about.

A warp drive would work by “warping” spacetime around any spaceship, which physicist Miguel Alcubierre

showed was theoretically possible in 1994, albeit well beyond the

current technical capabilities of humanity. However, any such Alcubierre

drive was assumed to require more energy — equivalent to the

mass-energy of the whole planet of Jupiter – than could ever possibly be

supplied, rendering it impossible to build.

!

Moderator Note

In the future, do not put spam links in your post as it is against the rules. Do not reply to this modnote.

Well, In the next 50 years who knows what technology we might create or uncover. It can only get stronger. So we may be able to achieve the few tons of negative mass, Or who knows in 10 -15 years from now we might reduce again the amount of mass energy needed therefore making it easier to achieve.

It really would be something if we managed it though wouldn't it? Space exploration would enter a new age.
How would we get back though? We would have to make sure it was some sort of re-chargeable drive.
There could be diseases or bacteria's that could cling to your ship that far out though that could effect us majorly back on earth in so many different ways, Maybe once you get that far out into space there could be power sources we could only dream of, natural gases, ores that could be smelted into much stronger materials than we know of etc.

I wonder what really is out there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.