Warp Speed In Our Lifetime Possible!

SomethingToPonder

I Noticed this article when it was first published probably a lot like many of you On the site.

It states that warp speed may well be not just possible but practical in our lifetime , also that the paper itself was written 10+ years ago, and was just not possible at the time, but Now due to technological advances it may well be possible. One of the most interesting things is it is still possible while not breaking the laws of physics and even parts of the theory of relativity. .

Just google - when will warp speed be possible, you'l notice that all the press releases were over the same 2 days.

heres a few links to get you started.

http://www.complex.com/tech/2012/09/nasa-scientists-say-warp-speed-may-be-possible

http://techland.time.com/2012/09/19/nasa-actually-working-on-faster-than-light-warp-drive/

http://gizmodo.com/5942634/nasa-starts-development-of-real-life-star-trek-warp-drive

there are many other stories and leads out there on the subject, But if this is true, Does everyone not agree that This is what we need to be investing money into.

Edited by SomethingToPonder

This has been discussed on this forum before. The maths says it’s possible but it does seem unlikely, for me at least.

Alcubierre says that, “just as happens with wormholes,” you’d need “exotic matter” (matter with “strange properties”) to distort space-time. And the amount of energy necessary to power that would be on par with the mass-energy of the planet Jupiter.”

"The Eagleworks team has discovered that the energy requirements are much lower than previously thought. If they optimize the warp bubble thickness and "oscillate its intensity to reduce the stiffness of space time," they would be able to reduce the amount of fuel to manageable amount: instead of a Jupiter-sized ball of exotic matter, you will only need 500 kilograms to "send a 10-meter bubble (32.8 feet) at an effective velocity of 10c."

Edited by dimreepr

This has been discussed on this forum before. The maths says it’s possible but it does seem unlikely, for me at least.

Alcubierre says that, “just as happens with wormholes,” you’d need “exotic matter” (matter with “strange properties”) to distort space-time. And the amount of energy necessary to power that would be on par with the mass-energy of the planet Jupiter.”

"The Eagleworks team has discovered that the energy requirements are much lower than previously thought. If they optimize the warp bubble thickness and "oscillate its intensity to reduce the stiffness of space time," they would be able to reduce the amount of fuel to manageable amount: instead of a Jupiter-sized ball of exotic matter, you will only need 500 kilograms to "send a 10-meter bubble (32.8 feet) at an effective velocity of 10c."

Sorry, I didn't realise it was a multiple posting and someone had already started a thread the same, wont happen again.

I think this is a stepping stone to warp speed and that it is genuinely possible.

When the pc or mac was first invented it wasn't the same as it is now, It was a generation behind.

if we can get even the most basic of drives that didn't work, we could advance it once we have the simplest idea. That's what the human race is all about.

here's hoping !

Ahh i see, Yes the need for the exotic matter seems to be the thing that we would struggle with most, But as i said if you had told Thomas Edison when he invented the first electric light bulb that you could then advance electricity into televisions mobile phones and thousands of other items, he would have had no clue.

we just need a starting point, From there we can advance anything we create.

Warp speed will consider going the C or The speed of light, But Einsteins Theory of relativity proves that nothing can reach the speed of light so hitting warp speed wouldn't be practical, But if someone proves Einsteins theory of relativity Wrong then we could probably go warp speed or even faster!

Warp speed will consider going the C or The speed of light, But Einsteins Theory of relativity proves that nothing can reach the speed of light so hitting warp speed wouldn't be practical, But if someone proves Einsteins theory of relativity Wrong then we could probably go warp speed or even faster!

That's not entirely accurate, if the correct exotic energy is discovered warp speed is possible, it does not violate relativity but it does take lots of negative energy.

There are parts of Einstein's theory of relativity that have been dis proven. And aside from the exotic matter, there is a theory i have posted about in a different topic, which asks if it would be possible that instead of propelling crafts through space at a certain speed, We should be moving space around the craft technically.

I know it sounds crazy right? Move space around the craft, I certainly cant do the mathematics required to show you what i mean, But some simple internet searches on warp speed and you'l find the ideas.

I think it interesting that the amount of energy necessary has gone from the mass of Jupiter to the energy out put of the US in one year... of course it is still exotic energy...

And there's still the problem of irradiating the crew and the inherent instability.

I think the video says they have solved the instability problems but the radiation would be a bit of a bummer. This drive would be good for sub light travel, it would pretty much open up the solar system and put the nearest stars within relatively reasonable time frames...

Space is continually moving and it's really fast. The only thing why we don't feel that it's moving is because of gravity. Given the right calculations and a magical button that says "Stop Gravity" we can go to planets/systems that our forefathers only imagined of going to. Warp speed and Warp Travel can also be possible but without internal gravity inside that vessel then everyone in it will die just like how pilots pass out when their air crafts take tight turns increasing there speed and pushing your blood down to your feet in short, warp speed w/out internal gravity = exploded brain (Figure of speech) but warp speed with internal gravity = awesome cruising

I think the video says they have solved the instability problems but the radiation would be a bit of a bummer. This drive would be good for sub light travel, it would pretty much open up the solar system and put the nearest stars within relatively reasonable time frames...

And to think! I used the phrase "Instantaneous Transcendental Teleportation" a couple years back, applying it to the series, Star Trek, for which you gave me a hefty portion of crow to eat. To me, "warp speed" is as nonsensical as conveying the notion that ITT is an answer. Even adding the ancient myth of Icarus, to the fifty+ years of our latest rocket age, we're still skating on iron wheeled roller skates. Since neither of these programs wii ever likely come to fruition, we might as well spend a few trillion bucks more on "pipe dreams" while the earth is settling itself into hell.

Thought this might be of interest while looking at warp speed.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

And to think! I used the phrase "Instantaneous Transcendental Teleportation" a couple years back, applying it to the series, Star Trek, for which you gave me a hefty portion of crow to eat. To me, "warp speed" is as nonsensical as conveying the notion that ITT is an answer. Even adding the ancient myth of Icarus, to the fifty+ years of our latest rocket age, we're still skating on iron wheeled roller skates. Since neither of these programs wii ever likely come to fruition, we might as well spend a few trillion bucks more on "pipe dreams" while the earth is settling itself into hell.

Thought this might be of interest while looking at warp speed.

http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module4_time_dilation.htm

Hmmm, what if electricity had been thought of that way, nothing will ever come of it, it takes far too much energy for it be useful... your link doesn't work btw...

Hmmm, what if electricity had been thought of that way, nothing will ever come of it, it takes far too much energy for it be useful... your link doesn't work btw...

Electricity is a fact with literally millions of applications and increasing daily. Warp speed, if there is such a thing, is still in its infancy. I hope someday it and ITT will be possible.

Edited by rigney

I really saw no point.that made sense.

My point is that no one could have predicted our extensive technological advances from the mineral magnetite. We put men on the moon with nothing more than the epiphany of "that odd stone picks up iron, I wonder why". Sometimes even tiny things can turn out to be vastly important, you indicated this avenue of inquiry was worthless, you cannot know that...

Edited by Moontanman

My point is that no one could have predicted our extensive technological advances from the mineral magnetite. Sometimes even tiny things can turn out to be vastly important, you indicated this avenue of inquiry was worthless, you cannot know that...

As I previously stated, we've been into modern rocketry science since Von Braun first built them during WWII, with little to show for it monetary wise. Think of what might need to be spend on just the idea that this pipe dream has a remote chance of working? I'm not saying this theoritical physicist Kaku is "full of it", but it sure sounds like a bunch of hyperbole to me.

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/warp-speed

Edited by rigney

As I previously stated, we've been into modern rocketry since Von Brauns rockets of WWII, with little to show for it monetary wise. Think of what might be spend on just the idea this pipe dream has a remote chance of working?'

http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/warp-speed

Considering how much monetary return there has been on the space program and how big a part of our modern society is based in waste of time and money called rocketry I can see your point... blink.png

Considering how much monetary return there has been on the space program and how big a part of our modern society is based in waste of time and money called rocketry I can see your point... blink.png

I'm not for a moment saying we should get out of the space program entirely. But, at this point we have amassed a tremendous amout of knowledge that can be built on by science, leading us into the future. Thing is, we can't be throwing mega-bucks into the well again. As much as green energy is distasteful to me because of the way it has been handled thus far, I would rather we push that game plan to its limit trying to help this planet, rather than looking for aliens or a new home????

Edited by rigney

Rigney, are you aware of just how little money is being spent on the space program compared to the GNP? Compared to the military budget?

BTW, this is what made your statement nonsensical "Instantaneous Transcendental Teleportation" what does transcendental mean?

Rigney, are you aware of just how little money is being spent on the space program compared to the GNP? Compared to the military budget?

BTW, this is what made your statement nonsensical "Instantaneous Transcendental Teleportation" what does transcendental mean?

I know Moon, and shortly there will be even less money available for space science. And our GNP! Got to keep big government fattened up and growing, you know. And the ITT thing, you're pulling my leg; right? You do believe in string theory, don't you?

Edited by rigney

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.