End Of The World 2012?

Nave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berfore Millenium, people said world will end in 1999, 2000 or near to that. After Millenium, now people said the world will end in 2012. And, obviously, the doom-date need to associate with certain major event to make it credible - Planet X (used to predict to cause some kind of catastrophy in 2004), Millenium bug, communism, fallen comets etc. Curiously, a small group of people always make a lot of money out of it. When the date passed, it is either revised it or just let it swollowed up in tons of information garbage and bocome a background noise.

If they truely believe the world would indeed end in certain date, why would they want to grab the worldly possession for?

For the past, major event usually occurred out of the blue - the 9/11 incidence, London bombing, S.E.A. Tsunami, etc. I guess no one predict that. If global-wide catastrophy do come, it can happen anytime from now to God knows when. Yes, it may perhaps happen in one normal, sunny working day, or even at night while we all asleep, including the doomsayer.

my aunt "calculated" the end of the world to be between 2010 and 2020. i told her about the 2012 thing and she just felt even more confident about it. she really believes this crap.

What methodology did she use to make such a calculation?

And how does the knowledge of the impending end of the world affect her?

Humans are odd.

she said something about the bible and israel becoming a nation. it had to do with people who saw israel become a nation being alive at the end of the world or something like that.

Why don't you mention to her that in the Bible Jesus says that some of the people in the crowd listening to him will still be alive to witness the end of the world.

I wonder what she will make of that? Maybe there are immortal vampires amoungst us! Don't put a stake through their hearts, it might provoke the end of the world!

Here are a couple of the relevant quotes.

Mark 8:39 to 9:1

Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels. And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power

Matthew 16:28

there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom

As unambigious as the NT gets really. Some of the people listening to him would still be alive when the last judgement happens.

• 4 weeks later...

There are many theorys about the world ending in the year 2012....and I think too many to ignore it. Supposively in december the 21st or 26th or something, beings will be given three chances to take the step and move into higher consiouness (sorry about my spelling). From now till then world destruction is taking place....for example twin towers, oil crisis....etc, and alos in this time, the truth about everything will be revealed, and the truth will set us free...

But thats all just what I believe anyway :)

• 1 month later...
there have been bigger events in history (fall of rome, WWI & II, etc.) and the world has yet to end

I'm new here but I just starting quote people straight away because I think events made by humans have nothing o do with the natural cycles of natural things and I don't want too see this kind of quotation at the end of this.. pretty interresting conversation.

Wikipedia tells us that the 13th bhakta(or whatever) is going to end in winter solastice 2012, but that is not the end of that calendar, just for that cycle. But do those cycles tell us something which we don't know? We don't know! :) For example Schumann's resonance has been increasing for what, 140 years now? The "natural" resonance frequency has been 7,82 Hz for ages but now it's something like 12 Hz; for everyone who knows something about this resonance, this will tell that the distance between the ionosphere and the ground has decreased, ergo the intensity of the geomagnetic field is weakening. Because solar flares produce geomagnetic field-distuptions (/storms), the Earth's geomagnetic behavior almost certainly has some correlation with the Sun's ~11 year cycle. I think it's too inconvinient that both East America and Northern Africa has the "magnetic meridian"(the zero lines in the field) at the other sides of the magnetic field axis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IGRF_2000_magnetic_declination.gif . My suggestion is that SchR indicates the force of the geomagnetic field, and the geomagnetic field follws the Sun's ~11 year sunspot( /global but unstabile magnetic) cycle in some way what COULD have been detected from those 2 places mentioned earlierly. Why? well, i'm not an astrophysicist but doesn't the inner Van Allen field tend to connect with Earth's surface at the height of 800 km or something, therefore making those two zero lines of the magnetic field more affected with radiation than the other places not near the magnetic poles? Near the poles one can see auroras, and they seem to be at they peak of propability when the equinoxes appear. 2012 is the year when we have another peak at our Sun's ~11 years cycle, winter equinox could bring us quite a bit of solar radiation.

So, I think it's quite possible that we don't even nowadays know for sure what is really going to happen, but all this synchronism and historical notes of astrophysical studies brought by two old societies is pointing to the nor-so-scientifically-predictable event of magnetic field collapse. If that would happen, there's a 1:1 chance for the geomagnetic field to stabilize again the same way it's now, or reverse. This is small potatoes, I think more bigger problem is to think how the disappearance of the geomagnetic field will influence the life on Earth, and -of course- the electrical equipment. Sure the earthquakes and tuff could be possible but what about the things from above? Sure the ozone layer would still filter some of the UV away, but electromagnetic influences could be quite dramatic. Does anyone know why the Van Allen fields are fixed to their places and what would happen if our geomagnetic field would be removed? That would be nothing like the radiation during moonwalks, they were exposed to Sun's crual radiation, but had their equipments safe from the effects of Van Allen fields.. The amount of radiation hitting the Earth when the VA fields would collapse to it could be quite catastrophic, or what do you think/know?

Maybe Mayans and Egyptians observed the night skies so long perioids of time that they saw a pattern between the intensity of nearly equivatorial auroras (?!) and the movement of the Earth? If someone would notice the equinoxes to be a significant celestial events, connected them to the year changes on Earth and some strange gloom in the sky during this celestial event, I think the most mysterious (here the gloom/auroras) would be in a major role in their calendars of most-predictable cycles.

One more thing :)http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/pubs/solanki2004/ the activity of the Sun should be near natural minimum (the minimum is @ 2006), though it seems as active as it is during the maximum activity of this ~11 year long cycle.

Something is really happening, but the End of the World, astral planes, bullshit like "the rapture" and other religious and dogmatic "prophecies" only scramble our logical intellect by putting false assumtions (taken from insufficient knownledge) to our heads.

You think there's a God and the bible or some other human written book tells us the truth about everything like we would be the centor of the universe? Come on, you can't be so naive :) There's a nice way to know is there a god like the one in the bible: read the ****ing book and think for yourself. For example, would all-seeing, all-knowing, all-loving eternal god GET ANGRY at people when they do wrong? free choice my ass, if someone has created everything and knows what's gonna happen, there would be a conflict between the desire to punish every things created and the creation of perfect surroundings for life. If you were god, would you make something and then start punishing it when it's doing exactly how you know it's going to act? Would you create something evil like satan to torture creatures some more? better yet, would you BET against your archenemy to see how one human (Job) is going to stand some extra tortures of varies kinds? If I would have been satan, I wouldn't place anything on the line when the oppositing better if all-knowing..

sounds pretty stupid to me, even without taking any notices to those couple hundred other un-knowing mistakes of the writers who wrote that piece of crap.

Malachy's Prophecies - The Last 10 Popes

1. The Burning Fire. PIUS X. 1903-1914. This Pope showed a burning passion for spiritual renewal in the Church.

2. Religion Laid Waste. BENEDICT XV. 1914-1922. During this Pope's reign saw Communism move into Russia where religious life was laid waste, and World War I with the death of millions of Christians who were carnage in Flanders Field and elsewhere.

3. Unshaken Faith. PIUS XI. 1922-1939. This Pope faced tremendous pressure from fascist and sinister powers in Germany and Italy, but he was an outspoken critic of Communism and Fascism which enraged Hitler.

4. An Angelic Shepherd. PIUS XII. 1939-1958. This Pope had an affinity for the spiritual world and received visions which have not been made public. Peter Bander says Pius XII "has emerged as one of the great Popes of all time," and he "was in the truest sense of the word an Angelic Pastor to the flock..."

5. Pastor and Mariner. JOHN XXIII. 1958-1963. John was a pastor to the world, much beloved, and the Patriarch of Venice. The connection to "mariner" is thus remarkable.

6. Flower of Flowers. PAUL VI. 1963-1978. Paul's coat-of-arms depicts three fleurs-de-lis, corresponding to Malachay's prophecy. His coat of arms included three fleurs-de-lis (iris blossoms).

7. Of the Half Moon. JOHN PAUL I. 1978-1978. John Paul I was elected Pope on August 26, 1978, when there was a half moon. He reigned 33 days, that is, about one month, when he died, although many think he was murdered. He was the 109th Pope - is "De Medietate Lunae" (Of the Half Moon). The corresponding pope was John Paul I (1978-78), who was born in the diocese of Belluno (beautiful moon) and was baptized Albino Luciani (white light). He became pope on August 26, 1978, when the moon appeared exactly half full. It was in its waning phase. He died the following month, soon after an eclipse of the moon.

8. The Labor of the Son. JOHN PAUL II. 1978-2005. Pope John Paul II was the most traveled Pope in history. He circled the globe numerous times, preaching to huge audiences everywhere he went. He survived an assassination attempt. He has written a book which has enjoyed a large circulation. Like the sun which never ceases to labor and provides light daily, this Pope has been incessant. He was born on May 18, 1920. On that date in the morning there was a near total eclipse of the sun over Europe. Prophecy - The 110th Pope is "De Labore Solis" (Of the Solar Eclipse, or, From the Toil of the Sun). Like the sun he came out of the East (Poland).

9. The Glory of the Olive. The Order of St. Benedict has said this Pope will come from their order. It is interesting that Jesus gave his apocalyptic prophecy about the end of time from the Mount of Olives. This Pope will reign during the beginning of the tribulation Jesus spoke of. The 111th prophesy is "Gloria Olivae" (The Glory of the Olive). The Order of Saint Benedict has claimed that this pope will come from their ranks. Saint Benedict himself prophesied that before the end of the world his Order, known also as the Olivetans, will triumphantly lead the Catholic Church in its fight against evil.

10. PETER THE ROMAN - This final Pope will likely be Satan, taking the form of a man named Peter who will gain a worldwide allegiance and adoration. He will be the final antichrist which prophecy students have long foretold. If it were possible, even the very elect would be deceived. The 112th prophesy states: "In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Petrus Romanus, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations; after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End."

Malachy's final words, "Rome, the seat of the Vatican, will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people."

if those predictions were made hundreds of years ago.. you have to compensate for the persons knowledge and beleifs..

Evil or satan could be a powerful person with evil intentions.

Nm, there is nothing that can be done to open up all the minds of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Predictions have been made of several events that some Christians believe are related: the second coming of Jesus, the war of Armageddon, the arrival on earth of the Antichrist, the Tribulation, the Rapture, some horrendous natural disaster, etc. Jewish, Islamic, psychic and occult predictions have also been offered as well. 1

We have listed over 7 dozen past predictions of the end of the world which have one factor in common: none ever came true. There is every likelihood that most (perhaps all) of these future predictions will not materialize either.

We have been criticized by some of our readers for whipping up hysteria about the end of the world. Our intent is the exact opposite: we want to dampen the level of panic. We hope that by listing many dozens of past predictions all of which have failed, that people will realize that some very important individuals have been totally wrong when they predicted the end of the world. End of the world predictions have been common throughout Christianity and other religions for almost 2000 years. Thus, the public has little to fear from prophets who predict a particular date for the world's end.

horizontal rule

Disclaimer:

We offer no guarantees that the prophets listed below actually made these predictions. We have described their alleged predictions as they were reported on the Web, in newspapers, books, etc. We do not have the resources to track down original source material.

horizontal rule

Predictions of TEOTWAWKI (The end of the world as we know it):

bullet The near future:

bullet The Marian Movement of Priests issued a statement titled "Why Am I Still Weeping" on 1987-SEP-15. It allegedly quotes the Virgin Mary as saying: "Man is becoming ever more corrupt, Godless, wicked and cruel. A 'CHASTISEMENT' WORSE THAN 'THE FLOOD' is about to come upon this poor and perverted humanity. FIRE WILL DESCEND FROM HEAVEN, AND THIS WILL BE THE 'SIGN' that the 'Justice of God' has as of now fixed the hour of His great manifestation." Unfortunately, she did not offer a prediction of the date when this holocaust is to begin.

bullet Daniel Dl-Maio believes that UFOs have been visiting Earth for all of the history of the world. They are piloted by intelligent beings who once created the biosphere that we inhabit. He believes that there are forces on Earth that are trying to create the fiction that we will soon be invaded by aliens. All of humanity will then focus on preparing to repel such an attack. But, in reality, the "invasion" will be Jesus and his army returning to save the world. See: http://www.bibleufo.com

bullet Tyndale House Publishers have created the "Left Behind Prophecy Club." In early 2004-JAN, they noted five events in the year 2003 that they feel are "compelling signs of the End Times" in our near future:

bullet Israel is constructing a 320 mile barrier to separate itself from Palestinian controlled land.

bullet The removal of Saddam Hussein from power may result in the rebuilding of Babylon.

bullet French President Jacques Chirac suggested that a "pioneer group" of nations within the European Union (EU) separate from the main EU group and progress towards a reunited Europe. This could be the ten kingdom prophesized in the book of Daniel.

bullet By moving towards equal rights for everyone, they feel that the Episcopal Church (USA) is abandoning parts of the Bible. Apostasy was one of the defining characteristics of the end times, according to the Bible.

bullet They feel that the election of Vladimir Putin and his party may lead to a rebuilding of Russia as a dominant player on the world scene, as is allegedly prophesied in Ezekiel. 2

bullet The American Traditional Catholic Church predicts that "the three days of darkness" will envelop the earth shortly. As a warning sign, a cross will appear in the heavens so that all can see. The family and society will fall apart. "...the gates of Hell will be opened and satan and his demons shall be released and given authority to roam the earth without limitation. There will be complete darkness for three days. " It will be as if time has come to a stand still. The only source of light will be from candles blessed according to the traditional Rites of the Church Catholic." 3

bullet AgapePress reported that Bishop Huey Harris of the First Pentecostal Tabernacle in Elkton, MD 73-year-old said: "What I'm seeing is the Scriptures being fulfilled right before our very eyes." AgapePress reports: "He says what he is looking for next is for the Church to be raptured, and then Jews receiving Christ as their Messiah."

bullet ProphecyKeepers.com noted that on 2003-MAY-31, "In fulfillment of prophecy, the sun appeared over the Middle East and Europe as a 'sackcloth of ashes' and 'refused to give her light' in a rare 'annular' or 'ring of fire' eclipse." They predict that "the final traditional Hopi and Holy Bible prophecy cycle of destruction had finally begun." 12

bullet 1998 to-2012 Gordon-Michael Scallion predicts major catastrophic earth events: global warming, melting polar ice caps, earthquakes, volcanoes erupting, etc.

bullet 1999 to 2009: Jerry Falwell predicted in 1999-JAN that Jesus could return within ten years. But before that can happen, he said that the Antichrist must appear. Referring to the Antichrist, Falwell said: "Is he alive and here today? Probably. Because when he appears during the Tribulation period he will be a full-grown counterfeit of Christ. Of course he'll be Jewish. Of course he'll pretend to be Christ. And if in fact the Lord is coming soon, and he'll be an adult at the presentation of himself, he must be alive somewhere today." Rabbi James Rudin of the American Jewish Committee suggested that Christians should be careful about making such comments. His said that Falwell's statement "plays into some latent and historical anti-Semitism from the past." 2 Rev. Falwell later apologized for his comment.

bullet 21st century: Thomas Chase 4 predicts that when the world's population reaches 6.66 billion, the war of Armageddon may occur. In early 1999, it reached 6.0 billion.

This essay continues below.

horizontal rule

Click below to visit one of our sponsors:

horizontal rule

bullet 2003:

bullet 2005-OCT-05: Stuart Cobbs predicts that God will close the "Church Age" and time the Rapture of the Church on this date, the Jewish holy day of Rosh-Hashana. He reasons that a 14,000 day interval (38.8 Jewish Years; 2,000 Jewish weeks) has appeared twice in past Jewish history: the duration of the wilderness generation when the ancient Hebrews were wandering in the desert, and the interval between the the dates when Jesus rode into Jerusalem (32-APR-06 CE) and the destruction of Jerusalem in 70-AUG-05 CE. He predicts that there is an identical interval between the recapture of Jerusalem on 1967-JUN-06 and Rosh-Hashana in 2005-OCT-03. He believes that the Rapture of the Church will cause many Jews to accept Jesus as the true Messiah.

bullet 2006:

bullet Michael Drosnin predicted in his book "The Bible Code II" that "the Bible code clearly states the danger in modern terms- 'atomic holocaust' and 'World War' are both encoded in the Bible. And both are encoded with the same year, 2006." Amazon.com visitors who review the book give it a rather low rating: 2.5 stars out of 5. 6

bullet Annie Stanton predicts that a 14.4 mile long asteroid will collide with the earth. Jesus will arrive and a 1000 year period of peace will start.

bullet According to an E-mail that we received, the writer believes that "666," the number of the beast mentioned in the biblical book of Revelation, is really a date: 06/06/06 or 2006-JUN-6. He expects the rapture and start of the tribulation on that date.

bullet A movie "The Beast" is in pre-production as of 2004-SEP. The story involves the discovery that Jesus Christ never existed. "The authors of the Gospels, writing 40 to 90 years after the supposed life of Christ, never intended for their works to be read as biographies." 9 The screen play involves apparently involves a momentous event in 2006-JUN-06 (6-6-06). What the event is is unclear. The staff have been sworn to secrecy.

bullet According to the Sunday Times in England, a religious group called "The Family" anticipates the end of the world in 2006. "Members are said to be stockpiling food and planning to hide in caves in India."

bullet According to the Weekly world News for 2001-FEB-13, hydrogen bombs hidden in London, Washington and Tel Aviv will be detonated. This will be the start of the war of Armageddon

bullet 2007: According to the Weekly world News for 2001-FEB-13, the rapture will occur on the 7th hour of the 7th day of the 7th month of the Hebrew calendar year that corresponds to 2007 CE. Jesus will appear simultaneously in Jerusalem, Baghdad, Washington, Moscow and in every other capital city of the world.

bullet 2008:

bullet 2008-MAR-21: After a lengthy calculation based on the Bible, a British group, The Lord's Witnesses, has concluded that the start of Armageddon will happen on this day. Three quarters of the world's population will die during the subsequent war. This will be preceded by the United Nations taking over complete control of the world in the lunar month preceding 2001-APR-24. This is exactly 666 Hebrew months after the founding of the United Nations in 1945. 7

bullet 2008-APR-6: Philip B. Brown incorrectly predicted that the Great Tribulation would start on 2001-APR-7, with the appearance of the the two witnesses described in Revelation. He also predicted that the start of Jesus' millennial reign would be on 2008-APR-6. 8

bullet 2009: Jack Smith predicts that the Fifth Seal mentioned in the biblical book of Revelation refers to the interval 1798 to 2009 when Christians were free to spread the Gospel worldwide and be "witness against all nations." The Sixth Seal refers to the interval from 2009 to 2012 when God's judgment begins. This will involve the destruction of the "Scarlet Woman" (Rome and the Vatican), the Angel ascending from the East, and the destruction of the new "Roman Empire."

bullet 2009-AUG-29: John Dutchman claims to be an astronomer at the Mount Wilson Observatory. He allegedly believes that a small star is passing through the Oort Cloud, the area surrounding the solar system where comets originate. He says that the gravitational pull of the star is forcing at least a third of all of the comets into the sun -- over one million. He predicts that the earth will be hit by from one to many hundreds of comets, ranging in size from 100 meters to near 600 miles in diameter. He expects the collisions to happen on 2009-AUG-29.

bullet 2010: Phil Stone of Bible Time interprets the Parable of the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37 symbolically. He computes the date of the second coming of Jesus as being 2,000 years after Jesus' visit to the Temple at the age of 12 in the year 12. Because the Biblical calendar is slightly shorter than the Solar calendar, we hit the 'two day" mark in 2010..." Actually, the situation is even more dire than he computes. Most theologians believe that Jesus was born between 4 and 7 BCE. This means that Jesus could return at any minute. 11

bullet 2010: "The Analyzer" notes that the Worldwide Church of God announced on 2004-MAY-14 the sale of part of its west campus. He believes that this is "the abomination that maketh desolate" mentioned in Daniel 12:11-12. According to Daniel 8:14, the temple will be cleansed 2,300 days later, on 2010-AUG-31.

And you believe that shit?

If I scawl down some random doomsday prophecy, will you include me in your book? After all, it's just as reliable and accurate as anything else you've listed.

Mokele

The Maya couldn't predict that their society would collapse due to overfarming and their inability to create sustainable agriculture. Why would people consider them an authority on the end of the world?

I believe Terrence McKenna was onto something philosophically with his extrapolations upon Alfred North Whitehead's ideas, specifically in regards to novelty vs. habit in life systems. I don't think there's any validity to Timewave Zero, although I really do wonder if Terrence McKenna really did stumble upon December 21st, 2012 for the point at which the "timewave" is damped independent of knowledge of the Mayan calendar (I really doubt this is the case, due to his extensive knowledge of ancient civilizations).

But I can say this much... the "singularity" is coming (just as Kurzweil predicted)...

But I can say this much... the "singularity" is coming (just as Kurzweil predicted)...

YES! finally, someone else who knows what the hell the singularity is:D .

anyway, my birthday is dec 23, which is one of the supposed dates of the end of the world. so if anyone believes me to be extremely important, email me and i will tell you your future.

an interesting thought: 9/11, tsunami, new orleans, pakistan earthquake: possible horsemen of the apocalypse....?

an interesting thought: 9/11, tsunami, new orleans, pakistan earthquake: possible horsemen of the apocalypse....?

Nope, we just live in a more 'connected' world where we're more likely to hear about disasters far away. Any given time in history has floods, wars, earthquakes, etc.

Nope, we just live in a more 'connected' world where we're more likely to hear about disasters far away. Any given time in history has floods, wars, earthquakes, etc.

not including 9/11, all those events killed 100,00 people or more: thats not so common

im not saying i believe in that stuff, but it seems to fit.