Lucid Dreaming-The science behind it

Arjun Artro

Lucid dreaming is a technique by which we can control our dreams with practise and certain sound waves. I've tried it and have once succeeded in doing it. I've read that dreams just last for about 2 seconds and that it is made up by our sub conscious. If so, how can these people or even myself control these scenes and stuff that show up just for a couple of seconds? What is the science behind this? And does dreams have solid scientific base? Does anyone have a clear idea about this?

I’m not sure lucid dreaming can be described as a technique; it’s not actually been conclusively proven that the dreamer is asleep. It’s akin to being immersed in a novel or daydream (some say), however, I have experienced it myself (several times) and it certainly felt like I was asleep, a magical experience. Studies have been done.

Dreams occur using the same neural infrastructure as is in use during waking life when we are conscious and aware. The same synapses and connections and neurochemicals are dancing about when dreaming as when awake.

We all dream. The idea you are presenting is whether we can become aware that we are dreaming act on that awareness. The answer is yes, we can. I'm not sure specifically what you want to know, and I'm not an expert. I just know it can and does happen.

Here's something that might be useful: http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream

And if you want something a bit meatier: http://www.scu.edu/cas/psychology/faculty/upload/Lucid_dreaming.pdf